09-25-2016 10:16 AM
31 12
tools
    This being my first Samsung and Android device, TouchWiz is not bad, but not exactly the best experience so far. I Downloaded the BlackBerry HUB+ app and a bunch of the BlackBerry for Android Apps, but now I feel like things are very cluttered. With double apps for calendar, email, and contacts, I am not sure what's the best thing to use to manage my "basics" such as those apps.

I guess it's going to take time to really figure out what flows better for me.

As for restoring... Since the recall, and having to do an additional exchange, I have done a few FDRs but I'm still not sure what is the best method for restoring everything. In the process of setting up, I am asked to enter my google account. It starts to pull settings from my google account backup. But then this time around, I also set it to restore a backup from SmartSwitch on my Memory card. The thing is, I had to download a few apps in order to get it to do that first, and then I was able to get the SmartSwitch install going. Does that sound right to anyone else?

I'm also waiting for the green battery update to hit my device. I made my exchange for this new device around 1:30 PM today, and it still has yet to hit my phone.
    09-23-2016 09:23 PM
    Also just wondering, what is considered a good/best practice for maintaining a well running device?

How often do you think an FDR should be done? How trust worthy is a restore from FDR? I have done a few, but I am not sure my backups are very efficient or considered a best practice?
    09-24-2016 03:53 PM
    Also just wondering, what is considered a good/best practice for maintaining a well running device?

How often do you think an FDR should be done? How trust worthy is a restore from FDR? I have done a few, but I am not sure my backups are very efficient or considered a best practice?
    1. I do factory resets only as a last resort. It's suck a pain to set up a phone again.

2. If I do have to do a factory reset I always set up as new to be sure that everything is fresh and clean.

I do occasionally like to do a hard reset/reboot occasionally though. Different phones handle this differently. I believe on Galaxy devices you would hold down the power and volume down buttons at the same time for up to 10 seconds until the phone powers down and reboots. I've also found wiping the system cache to be a good option when I'm having problems. Again, I don't do it regularly, just when I notice slowdowns.
    Serkle K likes this.
    09-25-2016 07:44 AM
    I think this question is about the edge notifications... when my Note is face down, I see the edge of it light up when i get some kind of notification. I haven't quite figured out what the notification/alert is from.

1) Does anyone know where these settings are?
    2) can this be customized? (i guess an answer to the first question would be the answer to the second though)
    I'm not 100% on this because I've yet to see the notifications in action... But there is a people edge you can turn on and set up. It will allow you to assign colors to certain contacts.
    09-25-2016 09:04 AM
    I'm not 100% on this because I've yet to see the notifications in action... But there is a people edge you can turn on and set up. It will allow you to assign colors to certain contacts.
    I do use this as well. Yes, you can customize it and assign colors, but only to 5 contacts. I found only certain apps will allow for the custom color notifications for the edge panels.
    French likes this.
    09-25-2016 09:26 AM
    Welcome to the world of Android Serkle!

Here's a few tidbits.

You mentioned TouchWiz and alternate launchers. One of the most popular out there, that I personally have run for many years, is Nova Launcher. It's a very powerful launcher that gives you a tremendous amount of flexibility in setting up your home screen, app drawer, tabs, folders, etc. Set aside some time to explore it thrououghly. The free version is just fine for 90% of folks.

Ringtones - I've carried a custom set of files that I just copy from phone to phone. As others have mentioned, as you learn how to move files around, then you'll get the hang of it.

Good practice for maintaining a well running device? For me, I just be careful about what apps I download. I avoid things that could be sneaky malware, so always look for solid reviews on both Google Play and the web.

The beauty of Android vs Apple, is that you have lots of power and possibility to customize on Android. Depending on the type of user you are, that can be a great or terrible thing. If you tweak a lot, it may not be a bad idea to take notes, in case you have to undo something in case you run into an unusual behavior.

Cheers!
    09-25-2016 10:16 AM
31 12