Note 7 - Total newbie thread

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
So, this is my first Android and first Samsung Note7.

I have a bunch of questions, mostly for ways to customize my device.

I tried Google but not really fining what I am looking for.

I'd like to know if it's possible to, and to assign the LED light to certain colors for certain notifications or email accounts?

How do I change notifications sounds for apps and such? I'd like to have a specific custom audio alert for Messenger, FB, and IG. I think i was able to change my ringtone, but I havent even gotten figured out how to make custome profile settings. Is that even possible?

I've always had a Custome homer Simpson alert for voicemails, and I'd like to set that again on here.

I just cant seem to find where to make these kinds of custom changes. As I mentioned, this is my first time with Android. So please forgive me if I seem lost or clueless.

Also, I don't know how to get a clean full screen shot. I've had to settle for using the S Pen to crop the screen.

And lastly, if I want to rest to factory, what is the fastest or best method for doing so?

That's all I can think of at the moment. Thanks!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Total newbie thread

Don't think I have seen you around before... welcome to the forums!

You can change most app notifications in their own settings section. Say for Gmail, you click on the menu in Gmail, and then settings. In there is your path to set a specific sound file. You can do this with voicemail too, bit it only applies to all voicemails.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

Hi, and congrats on your Note 7, you're gonna have fun getting to know each other. 😊

As for the notification light... Some apps have settings that let you set the LED color. I know some people use Light Flow in the Play Store.

Notification sounds... I use Zedge, in the app it asks if you want to set the chosen sound as a ringtone or notification. To do it manually go to Settings >sounds >choose ringtone or notifications and the downloaded sounds will be there automatically. For the Homer Simpson alert, download the file and it should show up on those screens mentioned above.

Screen shot.. Power and Home button at the same time or s pen click the spen button and tap the screen. Also under Advanced Features you can turn on Screen shot with Palm Swipe.

Factory Reset... Cloud Accounts >scroll down to Factory reset, but make sure you back everything up first because it will wipe your phone of data, pictures etc, everything, just like it came out of the box.

I hope that helps. 😊

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

App ring tones can be set up in the individual app settings.

The LED light.. I doubt Samsung has brought customization back to the LED light, but I'll let someone that has the Note 7 answer that one. If they haven't, Lightflow is an app that has been around for years that many have used. It used to cause some problems sometimes, but I haven't heard anything about it on the forums in years.. That might be a good thing.

Now generally for Samsung phones and voicemail alerts, you two tap the dialer, then more at the top right, settings and it should be on that page. It is at the bottom of mine.

Fullscreen screenshot, you hold your hand out, like to shake a hand, swipe across the screen from either side to side.

Second way, you can hold the power and home button at the same time.

I do all resets in recovery, but there is an option in the settings menu. I'll let a Note 7 user tell you where to find that, the menu has changed from the Note 5.

Last edited:

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

So, this is my first Android and first Samsung Note7.

I have a bunch of questions, mostly for ways to customize my device.

I tried Google but not really fining what I am looking for.

I'd like to know if it's possible to, and to assign the LED light to certain colors for certain notifications or email accounts?

How do I change notifications sounds for apps and such? I'd like to have a specific custom audio alert for Messenger, FB, and IG. I think i was able to change my ringtone, but I havent even gotten figured out how to make custome profile settings. Is that even possible?

I've always had a Custome homer Simpson alert for voicemails, and I'd like to set that again on here.

I just cant seem to find where to make these kinds of custom changes. As I mentioned, this is my first time with Android. So please forgive me if I seem lost or clueless.

Also, I don't know how to get a clean full screen shot. I've had to settle for using the S Pen to crop the screen.

And lastly, if I want to rest to factory, what is the fastest or best method for doing so?

That's all I can think of at the moment. Thanks!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum! Looks like @msndrstood answered all your questions in one go lol. Hope you enjoy your new phone!

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site

Factory Reset... Cloud Accounts >scroll down to Factory reset, but make sure you back everything up first because it will wipe your phone of data, pictures etc, everything, just like it came out of the box.

I hope that helps. ??????

I do all resets in recovery, but there is an option in the settings menu. I'll let a Note 7 user tell you where to find that, the menu has changed from the Note 5.
Thanks for the info everyone!

Is there a difference between these two methods?

I have to admit, I'm a bit disappointed that for a device like this, I am confined to using OEM tones or have to use an app to use my own audio and set specific LED alerts. For as much customization that this lets you do, something as simple as use other audio alerts should also be an option throught the device settings as well.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

I have to admit, I'm a bit disappointed that for a device like this, I am confined to using OEM tones or have to use an app to use my own audio and set specific LED alerts. For as much customization that this lets you do, something as simple as use other audio alerts should also be an option throught the device settings as well.

I use the tones I bought on iTunes from my iPhone. I just drag them from iTunes into either AirDroid or Android File Transfer. They both work.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site

I use the tones I bought on iTunes from my iPhone. I just drag them from iTunes into either AirDroid or Android File Transfer. They both work.

Okay. Than maybe I just haven't seen the option, because I was searching the note last night, and when I tried to set a ringtone or alert notification, I didn't see any options to use other audio

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Here is something I have run into every now and then on any Android: You can have notification tones in your media folder. Sometimes the OS sees them, sometimes, not. Zedge is recommended by many as there is a large library of sounds (long and short for notifications and ringtones) and images for wallpapers. Zedge also has the ability to set a ringtone, either through the app itself, or when you go into the app settings to change a tone, Zedge should come up as an option.

It's been a while since I have seen custom LED settings that I am not even sure that was stock. I ran a Custom ROM on my S2 and S3. Haven't been using Samsung since I got the Note 5, and root access isn't available to my knowledge.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

I think at this point, for many of us, recovery reset is a habit from something we needed to do long ago and there is no reason, outside of your phone won't boot up, to do a reset in recovery. I'll check on that and if different, post and let you know.

You can add custom tones, when going into Sounds, there should be an "add" option at the bottom.

I use Zedge, I download them, don't set. Zedge is a good one on finding ring tones and the availability. If you have ring tone files already, you can move them to the ring tone folder or add them.

Now with Zedge, it is easy for Android. When my sister used it on her iPhone, she had to go to the web version, download to her computer, convert it to a mp3 and the copy it to her phone.

I could download 50 ring tones in the time it took her to get one.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Ok just checked, with recovery you are positive all the cache files are wiped. The menu recovery would be good if for some reason your couldn't boot into recovery.

Now some phones will take you to the recovery menu when you use the menu reset option. My phones so far, you have to boot into recovery.

I have used recovery before when my phone wouldn't boot up completely so recovery would be the only place I could reset.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Here is something I have run into every now and then on any Android: You can have notification tones in your media folder. Sometimes the OS sees them, sometimes, not. Zedge is recommended by many as there is a large library of sounds (long and short for notifications and ringtones) and images for wallpapers. Zedge also has the ability to set a ringtone, either through the app itself, or when you go into the app settings to change a tone, Zedge should come up as an option.

It's been a while since I have seen custom LED settings that I am not even sure that was stock. I ran a Custom ROM on my S2 and S3. Haven't been using Samsung since I got the Note 5, and root access isn't available to my knowledge.
There was one phone at least, that had some custom colors for LED.. I don't remember which Samsung. It might have been my Note 3.

souffoue

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site

I am new to Android and Notes as well and have many questions too. Welcome and thanks for posting! I'm learning a lot from all the great responses!

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

Okay. Than maybe I just haven't seen the option, because I was searching the note last night, and when I tried to set a ringtone or alert notification, I didn't see any options to use other audio
Weekday you can do is download AirDroid or Android File Transfer to your phone and computer. They're both free, but I prefer AirDroid because it works over WiFi. Then drag the tones from your computer into the ringtones folder on your phone. You can find it inside My Folders under Device.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site

Weekday you can do is download AirDroid or Android File Transfer to your phone and computer. They're both free, but I prefer AirDroid because it works over WiFi. Then drag the tones from your computer into the ringtones folder on your phone. You can find it inside My Folders under Device.
I literally just plugged my Passport into my computer to copy my ringtones over, to see if I could just drop them into the ringtones folder on my Note, to see if they will just show up in the list! So I have to use an app for this? I can't just do it like a regular old file system?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

I literally just plugged my Passport into my computer to copy my ringtones over, to see if I could just drop them into the ringtones folder on my Note, to see if they will just show up in the list! So I have to use an app for this? I can't just do it like a regular old file system?
You should be able to if you use Windows. I use a Mac so I can't drag and drop as easily because Macs don't recognize Android phones as storage.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I think this question is about the edge notifications... when my Note is face down, I see the edge of it light up when i get some kind of notification. I haven't quite figured out what the notification/alert is from.

1) Does anyone know where these settings are?
2) can this be customized? (i guess an answer to the first question would be the answer to the second though)

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I think this question is about the edge notifications... when my Note is face down, I see the edge of it light up when i get some kind of notification. I haven't quite figured out what the notification/alert is from.

1) Does anyone know where these settings are?
2) can this be customized? (i guess an answer to the first question would be the answer to the second though)

Settings>Display>Edge screen It's the Edge lighting setting. It can be turned on or off, but as far as I know it can't be customized. You can set a Quick reply for it, but as far as customizing colors I'm unaware of a way to do that. It might work if you use Lightflow or another app to customize the LED notification light. I doubt it, but the settings may transfer to the Edge as well.

clg82

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Lot's of great input that i'll be able to use once my Note ships from AT&T...i'll be watching this thread.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phlyx