Note 7 - Total newbie thread

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: Total newbie thread

Settings>Display>Edge screen It's the Edge lighting setting. It can be turned on or off, but as far as I know it can't be customized. You can set a Quick reply for it, but as far as customizing colors I'm unaware of a way to do that. It might work if you use Lightflow or another app to customize the LED notification light. I doubt it, but the settings may transfer to the Edge as well.
Thanks!!

Also, does anyone know if placing the phone face down on a surface is another way to put the phone to sleep to save battery life?
Does putting the phone face down while getting a call silence the call?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

Thanks!!

Also, does anyone know if placing the phone face down on a surface is another way to put the phone to sleep to save battery life?
Does putting the phone face down while getting a call silence the call?

It does silence the call, but doesn't send it to voicemail. Also I believe only the edge screen lights up, but it's kinda hard to tell when it's face down. LOL

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Hey again folks...

A couple of things... I've done a couple of transfer apps to see if I could get ,y stuff off my old Passport. The one that seemed to work the best, and I use that term loosely, is the AT&T transfer. But now I have a bund of duplicate files, and contacts on my Note. I really need the calendar events though since I never got them restored to begin with. I would like to wipe it clean and do a factory reset. What is the best method to do this? Also after the wipe, I think I'm just going to have to go back and set up everything else (contacts, calendar events) manually. Not 100% on that decision yet though.

I'm also looking for some better apps for Twitter, weather, and photo editing. Any recommendations? I noticed there's apps for android, and then for Galaxy devices. Are there any major differences? I was looking at the reviews for The Weather Channel for Samsung, and Twitter for Galaxy devices, and don't seem to be the greatest ratings vs. the versions in the Play Store. also, I was playing around with the themes, and I downloaded some temporary trial themes. Do I have to search for the themes locally and delegate them from my note to make sure I don't get a build up of theme data and start eating into memory and storage space.

I think that's all I can think of for now.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the info everyone!

Is there a difference between these two methods?

I have to admit, I'm a bit disappointed that for a device like this, I am confined to using OEM tones or have to use an app to use my own audio and set specific LED alerts. For as much customization that this lets you do, something as simple as use other audio alerts should also be an option throught the device settings as well.
The best reset is hard through the recovery menu. I did mine three times before setting up just to clear away the dreck.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

I literally just plugged my Passport into my computer to copy my ringtones over, to see if I could just drop them into the ringtones folder on my Note, to see if they will just show up in the list! So I have to use an app for this? I can't just do it like a regular old file system?
I did a drag and drop for a ton of files but to my extSD. You may need to do that first and then move them to the phone. Or try one of the free wifi file explorers. I use this one, first one in the list - free and pro (I have pro):
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ifi+file+explorer&c=apps&hl=en&token=_pDmWOt-

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
This being my first Samsung and Android device, TouchWiz is not bad, but not exactly the best experience so far. I Downloaded the BlackBerry HUB+ app and a bunch of the BlackBerry for Android Apps, but now I feel like things are very cluttered. With double apps for calendar, email, and contacts, I am not sure what's the best thing to use to manage my "basics" such as those apps.

I guess it's going to take time to really figure out what flows better for me.

As for restoring... Since the recall, and having to do an additional exchange, I have done a few FDRs but I'm still not sure what is the best method for restoring everything. In the process of setting up, I am asked to enter my google account. It starts to pull settings from my google account backup. But then this time around, I also set it to restore a backup from SmartSwitch on my Memory card. The thing is, I had to download a few apps in order to get it to do that first, and then I was able to get the SmartSwitch install going. Does that sound right to anyone else?

I'm also waiting for the green battery update to hit my device. I made my exchange for this new device around 1:30 PM today, and it still has yet to hit my phone.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Also just wondering, what is considered a good/best practice for maintaining a well running device?

How often do you think an FDR should be done? How trust worthy is a restore from FDR? I have done a few, but I am not sure my backups are very efficient or considered a best practice?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Also just wondering, what is considered a good/best practice for maintaining a well running device?

How often do you think an FDR should be done? How trust worthy is a restore from FDR? I have done a few, but I am not sure my backups are very efficient or considered a best practice?

1. I do factory resets only as a last resort. It's suck a pain to set up a phone again.

2. If I do have to do a factory reset I always set up as new to be sure that everything is fresh and clean.

I do occasionally like to do a hard reset/reboot occasionally though. Different phones handle this differently. I believe on Galaxy devices you would hold down the power and volume down buttons at the same time for up to 10 seconds until the phone powers down and reboots. I've also found wiping the system cache to be a good option when I'm having problems. Again, I don't do it regularly, just when I notice slowdowns.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I think this question is about the edge notifications... when my Note is face down, I see the edge of it light up when i get some kind of notification. I haven't quite figured out what the notification/alert is from.

1) Does anyone know where these settings are?
2) can this be customized? (i guess an answer to the first question would be the answer to the second though)
I'm not 100% on this because I've yet to see the notifications in action... But there is a people edge you can turn on and set up. It will allow you to assign colors to certain contacts.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I'm not 100% on this because I've yet to see the notifications in action... But there is a people edge you can turn on and set up. It will allow you to assign colors to certain contacts.

I do use this as well. Yes, you can customize it and assign colors, but only to 5 contacts. I found only certain apps will allow for the custom color notifications for the edge panels.

Beknatok

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the world of Android Serkle!

Here's a few tidbits.

You mentioned TouchWiz and alternate launchers. One of the most popular out there, that I personally have run for many years, is Nova Launcher. It's a very powerful launcher that gives you a tremendous amount of flexibility in setting up your home screen, app drawer, tabs, folders, etc. Set aside some time to explore it thrououghly. The free version is just fine for 90% of folks.

Ringtones - I've carried a custom set of files that I just copy from phone to phone. As others have mentioned, as you learn how to move files around, then you'll get the hang of it.

Good practice for maintaining a well running device? For me, I just be careful about what apps I download. I avoid things that could be sneaky malware, so always look for solid reviews on both Google Play and the web.

The beauty of Android vs Apple, is that you have lots of power and possibility to customize on Android. Depending on the type of user you are, that can be a great or terrible thing. If you tweak a lot, it may not be a bad idea to take notes, in case you have to undo something in case you run into an unusual behavior.

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech