MS Exchange Syncing of Contacts?

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I am missing something here, but I thought my Nexus 6p synced up my MS exchange work account's contacts, in addition to the emails and calendar. I just realized there is no built-in exchange sync for contacts. I set up aquamail to sync with my exchange account for emails and my calendar no problem. I posted some screenshots below of the various screens I see when I go into settings-->cloud and accounts --> accounts, and also when I go into the settings for the stock contacts app. No options anywhere, and our IT staff where I work couldn't figure it out either. Googling the issue. Googling the issue for the Galaxy S7 brings up a thread from another forum here where people were recommending Akruto software, which has an annual fee.

I previously paid a one-time fee for Companionlink, which synced my desktop contacts (and everything else) with my gmail account. I suppose I could reinstall that just to sync my contacts. Any other options? Is there a contacts app in Google Play store that works with Exchange accounts?

Thanks!

Contacts - Add Contact select account.jpg
Exchange Acct - sync options.jpg
Contacts to display.jpg
Accounts - show list of acounts.jpg

JohnT3

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure but I would guess your problem is directly related to you using Aquamail for your exchange account. I'm assuming it doesn't have the proper permissions or maybe not the functionality to access contacts. I use an Office 365 Exchange account (for my own domain) with the Standard email app and I've found it works well for syncing everything. Originally I had tried various apps for email but with exchange, the stock email app seemed to work just fine for everything I needed. Maybe you should try using it.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a standard exchange account for my outlook email and all my contacts sync fine. I use the default email app. I had my work exchange active sync account set up as well, but moved it over to Touchdown HD so I could continue using my normal lock settings and keep in compliance with my companies security policies.

Touchdown syncs my work exchange contacts, tasks, calendar perfectly. Drawback is it's 20 bucks lol

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I use the stock email client for my personal outlook.com account and it syncs contacts and calendar fine. I use Nine for my work exchange account and it syncs everything perfectly, too. I know that's not much help, but I don't think it's an issue with your phone.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes, Nine is probably the best outlook client out there. You can try it free for 10 days and then pay.

I have found that Android can be twitchy when it comes to active sync if you have the same account connected in multiple apps.

The built in Samsung app will probably handle everything OK. And so will probably Nine. Not sure about these other apps you are fooling with.

Another word to the wise, is to try manually connecting your exchange active sync versus the auto connect because in some Android apps the auto connect will hook it up via IMAP (and not really tell you) and IMAP won't sync your contacts.

It's unfortunate that Android doesn't bake active sync connection into the core OS so that all apps can share it. Instead, Google makes the individual app developers and phone manufacturers have to add it separately which leads to all this confusion. Got to hand it to the IOS guys, as Apple bakes it right into the core OS so that all apps can access the sync system wide.

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I've been busy and haven't checked this for a while. Thanks for the responses, and I will try nine. But I am confused, what does my email app have to do with the contacts app? AquaMail doesn't even have a contacts function? And, it is getting my exchange emails and calendar items just fine? I would think my contacts app should have the option to add an exchange account.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
You sync your exchange contacts through the accounts section. It will activate the stock email but you can disable it by unchecking email in the sync section. Just go to accounts>add account>exchange and input your exchange info.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
You sync your exchange contacts through the accounts section. It will activate the stock email but you can disable it by unchecking email in the sync section. Just go to accounts>add account>exchange and input your exchange info.

Yes, I recommend this as well. You may have to manually set up the exchange. And the server name is most important.

I have been led to believe, that Google has done a better job with Active Sync with their Nexus devices as they have total control over those. I believe other manufacturers (and app publishers) have to pay Microsoft to use Active Sync which can make it trickier to set up for non Nexus devices as then the other manufacturers and app publishers become responsible for programning the connection.

Nine will work. And if you are having trouble, download Nine, see if you connect, and then trouble shoot the connection under "Accounts." I don't use Nine, but I know it works as I have tried it. I don't need the functionality.

Stay away from the official Microsoft Outlook App. It is BAD for several reasons -- one being it wont sync contacts believe it or not with Hotmail/Outlook.com. Not only that I believe it uses Amazon's Cloud as an intermediary. Hard to believe Microsoft puts something out that actually uses Amazon's Cloud in order to connect to the Microsoft Cloud. :eek:

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I've been using nine for over a year now and have always had good results. The support is very good, the few questions I've had have been handled quickly and easily.

I had to double check my contacts just now after reading this to be sure I am all synced up. One of the things I like about nine is you are using the calendar of your choice and stock contact app. Everything is all synced up for me. If I type in a search for any of our employees, it pulls them up from the Exchange Active Sync and identifies them and such.

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
This is what I needed! I somehow missed the Microsoft exchange account as an option to add earlier. Did that and it gave me the option to sync contacts. I then went back into the Samsung app and was able to select exchange as one of my options. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci