What do you use your edge screen panels for?

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Great thread! I'm enjoying all the suggestions and ideas and tips (such as creating folders). I'm going to have to rethink my (boring) edge panels.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Not using them at present. Doubt I will. Don't like 'em. Don't need 'em. Don't want 'em. (for the time being). Wish the screen wasn't curved. Distorts a lot of information and make is less legible.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Not using them at present. Doubt I will. Don't like 'em. Don't need 'em. Don't want 'em. (for the time being). Wish the screen wasn't curved. Distorts a lot of information and make is less legible.

I also doubted the usefulness of the edge panels, and I turned them off on day 1.

But, the value that I see is the ability to get instant access to frequently used stuff without leaving the app I am currently in. For me, there's value there.

I wish there were panels for creating Textra messages and Google Inbox messages. Haven't found them yet, and they would be very helpful.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I use mine for quick access to apps when I'm in another app, and also for my news, Twitter, weather and sports feeds, so that I don't need a bunch of heavy widgets on my screen.

Y2Dre

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Shout out to everyone who explained how to create folders on the Apps edge panel. This alone will allow me to clean up my home screens a great deal.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I can't really come up with a use for it. I have Nova Prime so I have the scrolling dock and just add the additional apps that I use frequently to that. Its just as quick or maybe slightly faster than the side bar. I also have swipeable icons so I can assign a swipe action to the icons on the home screen. I'm not sure what I'd put in the panel that I don't already have access to from my home screen.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

I wish there were panels for creating Textra messages and Google Inbox messages. Haven't found them yet, and they would be very helpful.

If you are just looking for frequently texted contacts, just create a message widget for that person your homescreen. After that, that person will appear in the tasks panel to add to your edge. You can even delete the home screen shortcut(s) after that and they will remain on your edge panel if you have already added them. I've done this with a few folks and it works great with Textra.

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

This is exactly what I thought at first until I challenged myself to try out the panel and see if I could make it useful. Turns out I could, and now I really like it. I'm usually someone who hates change, too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I guess I was confused because there is the home screen and other screens when you swipe right that you could add apps to. So that seems similar to me.

This is what I thought at first, too. "I have my home pages and widgets set up for quick access, why do I need this edge panel?" Turns out swiping with just one thumb and having things right there in one location is a lot easier than swiping to different home screens and tapping on widgets to get things to open. At least for me.