I'm testing my SOT these first couple of weeks with the Note 7 and I'm interested in seeing how much the screen resolution impacts daily power consumption averages. I've had the resolution set to 1080 yesterday and today and, to be honest, I don't know that I can really tell a difference in the visual aspect of the screen compared to last week at 1440. If there is a difference, it hasn't bugged me. But I have noticed about a half hour's more screen mileage at the lower resolution. Might be worth it to just keep on the 1080... what are your thoughts?
    08-30-2016 10:17 PM
    I haven't really noticed anything either.
    08-30-2016 10:24 PM
    If I look really close I can definitely tell see that the pixels are more obvious. From far it's not that obvious so if it doesn't bother you just keep it I guess.
    08-30-2016 10:27 PM
    I had the OnePlus 3 (Graphite & Soft Gold) for a month and couldn't tell the difference.

720P on the other hand...my Apple iPhone SE is pale. I'm using it as an iPod and Apple Pay since Samsung/android Pay is nonexistent up here.

This is why I don't mind especially if it can increase Battery Life. It seems to be just marketing TBH.
    08-30-2016 10:28 PM
    If you're not bothered by the 1080p then keep it, as it will increase the battery life of your phone.
    08-30-2016 10:35 PM
    Does anyone know of any apps that ignore the battery saving resolution mode? For example, if you are in 1080 mode but you launch YouTube or play games with the Gear VR, does the screen change to 1440 resolution, then bring the resolution back to 1080 mode when not in those apps?

If it's not a native function, I wonder if there is an app or a tasker profile that will automate changing screen resolutions based on what app is active. Probably need to have root access though?
    08-30-2016 10:43 PM
    I had the OnePlus 3 (Graphite & Soft Gold) for a month and couldn't tell the difference.

720P on the other hand...my Apple iPhone SE is pale. I'm using it as an iPod and Apple Pay since Samsung/android Pay is nonexistent up here.

This is why I don't mind especially if it can increase Battery Life. It seems to be just marketing TBH.
    Samsung Pay works anywhere where you can use a magnetic strip and in some places where they have the dual chip reader and magnetic strip reader even if the merchant doesn't know it works.
    08-30-2016 11:00 PM
    Samsung Pay works anywhere where you can use a magnetic strip and in some places where they have the dual chip reader and magnetic strip reader even if the merchant doesn't know it works.
    They haven't launched Samsung Pay in Canada yet. I believe I remember him saying he lives there.
    08-30-2016 11:56 PM
    Does anyone know of any apps that ignore the battery saving resolution mode? For example, if you are in 1080 mode but you launch YouTube or play games with the Gear VR, does the screen change to 1440 resolution, then bring the resolution back to 1080 mode when not in those apps?

If it's not a native function, I wonder if there is an app or a tasker profile that will automate changing screen resolutions based on what app is active. Probably need to have root access though?
    There's a video enhancer under Advanced features in Settings. It may bump the resolution back up to 1440. I know it affects my screen brightness on it's own.
    08-31-2016 12:00 AM
    There's a video enhancer under Advanced features in Settings. It may bump the resolution back up to 1440. I know it affects my screen brightness on it's own.
    Yeah! I've noticed that too! I can't see any way to add or delete apps from this list though. I'm thinking that it only boosts the saturation and brightness though, and not the resolution.

It would be nice to have the resolution high only in apps that I think would benefit from high resolution, but otherwise, save battery and bump resolution down when not using those apps.
    Attached Thumbnails 1440 vs 1080 display: is the difference noticeable?-5364.jpg  
    08-31-2016 10:28 AM
    I'm testing my SOT these first couple of weeks with the Note 7 and I'm interested in seeing how much the screen resolution impacts daily power consumption averages. I've had the resolution set to 1080 yesterday and today and, to be honest, I don't know that I can really tell a difference in the visual aspect of the screen compared to last week at 1440. If there is a difference, it hasn't bugged me. But I have noticed about a half hour's more screen mileage at the lower resolution. Might be worth it to just keep on the 1080... what are your thoughts?
    Where do you find the setting to change resolution?
    08-31-2016 11:50 AM
    Where do you find the setting to change resolution?
    Under settings>battery> 3 power saving mode buttons... click the mid or max, then you can customize various battery guzzling functions of the phone. In my 'mid' level, I kept everything the same from 'off' but just lowered the screen resolution from QHD (1440) to FHD (1080).

Lowering the screen resolution (or at least turning the 'mid' power saver on) also takes the haptic feedback (vibration) of the back and recent apps buttons. Not sure how to turn that back on though.
    Attached Thumbnails 1440 vs 1080 display: is the difference noticeable?-5367.jpg  
    pduffer likes this.
    08-31-2016 12:00 PM
    Note 7 in 1080p (FHD) helps with battery life by an hour (average for me) and still looks better than the 6+. I customized the setting in the "mid" option. If limiting background tasks it add another 15 minutes. Longer if in a weak signal area.
    08-31-2016 12:06 PM
    Under settings>battery> 3 power saving mode buttons... click the mid or max, then you can customize various battery guzzling functions of the phone. In my 'mid' level, I kept everything the same from 'off' but just lowered the screen resolution from QHD (1440) to FHD (1080).

Lowering the screen resolution (or at least turning the 'mid' power saver on) also takes the haptic feedback (vibration) of the back and recent apps buttons. Not sure how to turn that back on though.
    There are things that it customizes with Power saving that you cannot change
    08-31-2016 02:19 PM

Thanks. Wonder if this might also solve the no video from Amazon Video over Chromecast issue? Will check that out when I have an opportunity.
    08-31-2016 02:35 PM
    Thanks. Wonder if this might also solve the no video from Amazon Video over Chromecast issue? Will check that out when I have an opportunity.
    BTW- changing phone resolution did not help with casting Amazon Video. I could see the commercials on the TV, but not the actual program.
    09-04-2016 08:11 PM

You can also change it in display settings without power saving mode on.
    09-05-2016 05:00 AM
    Not on my Verizon model.
    09-05-2016 05:15 AM
    On Vodafone UK. They don't change anything and offer you what apps of theirs to install so no bloatware
    09-05-2016 05:20 AM
    Not on my ATT model either.
    09-05-2016 05:20 AM
    Our carriers don't change the software at all.
    09-05-2016 05:27 AM