09-01-2016 10:46 AM
113 1234 ...
tools
    I wouldn't say it is airtight. At first I thought the light was a reflection from the screen to material beneath it, but i got paper inside the gap.
    08-31-2016 06:40 AM
    Isn't it better to find out now while phone is new and under warranty or within return policy and take steps now then to find out later when you dunk your phone and find water spitting out the seams like a clam?

It is interesting the new methods of making these phones... no screws anymore and the glass is not framed in the aluminum body in this case because of the curved glass... both sides glued and sandwiched on top of the metal frame. What if the glue is not strong enough... or through longer heat cycles or prolonged heat being in hot cars or pockets the glue weakens and starts separating from the body.

Happens being an early adopter. Feel bad for my coworker cause I think I am the one showing him the phone when they had press conference and he got his week one... and screen cracked on him in less than a week from a 3' drop... with case!! And I was so jealous almost couldn't wait and order... but I'm going to keep watching this site... Love the features and want to try it... hope they can sort it out and consider around the holidays.

I win be honest, I hate posts like these because they force you to see things that I would never have noticed and stress me out. I inspected my phone like the OP suggested and saw the same thing only to realize it isn't just On one side. It's on all all sides of my Note.
    jetman5843 likes this.
    08-31-2016 06:51 AM
    Just checking in..Silver Note...see none of this...
    08-31-2016 06:55 AM
    Got it here as well blue note.
    08-31-2016 07:00 AM
    The S7 Active had leaking issues... maybe similar... maybe the glue/manufacturing process.

A leap... but maybe phones with weak seals also contributing factor to screen cracks if dropped because the integrity of glass is weakens if doesn't have a firm rest against the metal frame?

Gotta keep threads like this active and keep Samsung looking into these things. From below article it seems they have QC issues.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/21/...-says-samsung/
    08-31-2016 07:01 AM
    Everyone's OCD will now come out to the max lol.
    libra89, Serkle K, cwbcpa and 3 others like this.
    08-31-2016 07:14 AM
    I have a silver no light leak but paper will fit in I assume sealant is in deeper. If there was no gap you could never take apart as long as it's sealed I don't see the problem.
    08-31-2016 07:23 AM
    I thought it was refraction or reflection too, but I did get paper underneath the screen. That would seen to refute the idea or was due to light alone. Right?
    Also, remember that AMOLED does not have a backlight like an LCD so it is impossible for it to "bleed" light.
    I thought it was refraction or reflection too, but I did get paper underneath the screen. That would seen to refute the idea or was due to light alone. Right?
    Don't know what happened to my post, but yeah that would. I think it is just the nature of the curved glass and the metal frame. My overarching point is that it is not abnormal.
    08-31-2016 07:25 AM
    There's hardly a gap on mine.I tried putting a piece of paper in and it won't go in further than the actual tip.

Weird that others are getting these gaps, though. Kinda like the LG G5 chin gap.
    jackash0912 likes this.
    08-31-2016 07:26 AM
    I can only spot the "line" of light, looking at the edge lengthwise; pretty sure it has something to do the refraction created by the curvature of the end of the glass. As for any gaps between the glass and body - i don't think they necessarily indicate a defective seal, as there are lots of other holes in the phone (sub, speaker, mic, pen) which aren't even covered. This phone gets warm during operation, and I wonder if some "give" has been designed into the fit of the glass panel as a result.
    Serkle K likes this.
    08-31-2016 07:45 AM
    I think its just the Always On Display showing you a notification coming in at times.

I have an issue that is driving me crazy that if I turn my brightness all the way down and turn the volume all the way up, and I have all the lights out in the room, and I'm laying on my side, but with my knees pulled up all the way to my chest, and if the TV is on Channel 4 in the room, but sound turned all the way down, I get a flickering on my screen. Does this happen to anyone else? And should I return the phone?..... He said, tongue in cheek.....
    08-31-2016 07:46 AM
    I have an issue that is driving me crazy that if I turn my brightness all the way down and turn the volume all the way up, and I have all the lights out in the room, and I'm laying on my side, but with my knees pulled up all the way to my chest, and if the TV is on Channel 4 in the room, but sound turned all the way down, I get a flickering on my screen. Does this happen to anyone else? And should I return the phone?..... He said, tongue in cheek.....
    Hahahaha

Posted via my awesome N4
    08-31-2016 07:47 AM
    Those holes are sealed with glue or rubber gaskets as shown in tear down videos so I am guessing if sealed properly they wont bleed light out of those holes. Now if light bleeds out like the OP says... is that normal with they way they seal the display?

I can only spot the "line" of light, looking at the edge lengthwise; pretty sure it has something to do the refraction created by the curvature of the end of the glass. As for any gaps between the glass and body - i don't think they necessarily indicate a defective seal, as there are lots of other holes in the phone (sub, speaker, mic, pen) which aren't even covered. This phone gets warm during operation, and I wonder if some "give" has been designed into the fit of the glass panel as a result.
    08-31-2016 07:49 AM
    Before this thread runs away, someone with the issue needs to contact Samsung Plus, not 800 Samsung and ask the about it.

From what I have seen and heard, I believe all water sealing is done under the glass.

There is no need to speculate, someone needs to contact Samsung.

I would but I don't have my Note 7 yet.
    msndrstood likes this.
    08-31-2016 07:51 AM
    Called Samsung and they said it's a feature for people who use full brightness in a completely dark room. If you look at it with your spen using the magnify feature, you can actually see your notification feeds.
    08-31-2016 07:52 AM
    I think its just the Always On Display showing you a notification coming in at times.
    That's exactly what happens to me....... go figure........what are the odds on that?!? LOL
    08-31-2016 08:16 AM
    I have a Blue from T-mo and I can stick the paper in on both sides.
    08-31-2016 08:21 AM
    Not on mine.

I tried to do that and nothing. Can't get it in there.
    08-31-2016 08:23 AM
    I have a Blue from T-mo and I can stick the paper in on both sides.
    Same
    Yup, wouldn't have even noticed it without this thread.

I'm almost certain it is by design. It's symmetrically consistent and doesn't seem like a quality control issue at all.
    08-31-2016 08:23 AM
    Yup, wouldn't have even noticed it without this thread.

I'm almost certain it is by design. It's symmetrically consistent and doesn't seem like a quality control issue at all.
    If it is by design, then EVERY N7, regardless of color, should be the same in this regard. Since that isn't the case, it is unlikely by design, unless those phones missing the gap are the ones that are defective.
    08-31-2016 08:29 AM
    Those holes are sealed with glue or rubber gaskets as shown in tear down videos so I am guessing if sealed properly they wont bleed light out of those holes. Now if light bleeds out like the OP says... is that normal with they way they seal the display?
    Using glue can create an adequate seal, but that doesn't mean it won't allow light to pass through.

Glue can be translucent after all. Perhaps that's the case.
    08-31-2016 08:35 AM
    Called Samsung and they said it's a feature for people who use full brightness in a completely dark room. If you look at it with your spen using the magnify feature, you can actually see your notification feeds.
    Lol then that feature is apparently missing on half their phones.

Unless the people who are reporting that they don't have the "issue" aren't being discerning enough to notice.
    08-31-2016 08:37 AM
    This is a known issue that has been reported on xda. Sammy knows too and doesn't care. They call it a feature. There is something called edge lighting in one of the settings. Can't remember where, but that may be different. I turned mine off just in case.
    08-31-2016 08:42 AM
113 1234 ...