09-01-2016 10:46 AM
113 ... 2345
tools
    Cannot fit any paper in mine. T-Mobile Black Onyx
    08-31-2016 10:44 AM
    See above.

All Note 7's have a 'gap'. You can slide a piece of paper under your screen.

Now whether or not the film inserted into the back of your phone (to give it color) obscures light from emitting from said gap is another thing entirely. For whatever reason, Samsung set the sealing gaskets deeper this year.
    It may be there, but I cannot see it in a dark room, case off, etc. Checked both edges. Therefore, in my world it does not exist.
    08-31-2016 10:48 AM
    Silver Verizon Note 7 here. I don't have any gap on the back, paper won't go in at all. But on the front I can get paper in along the edge ever so slightly, equidistant on both left and right edge. To me it doesn't seem to be a defect. Mine seems to be by design as I tried both display models in best buy and both did the same as mine. The gap isn't noticeable by the naked eye and it doesn't budge when pressing on it.
    dstrauss likes this.
    08-31-2016 10:49 AM
    We ordered two (BOGO) direct from AT&T and bought Samsung Care after the fact - it has a 31 day waiting period for accidental damage claims (if you buy direct from Samsung you can get immediate coverage if purchased with the phone).

I'm new to Samsung/Android after nine years of iPhone's only (Treo, Windows Phone, and Blackberry before that), but I love this thing too much to be deterred from keeping it...just concerned.
    08-31-2016 11:01 AM
    Silver Verizon Note 7 here. I don't have any gap on the back, paper won't go in at all. But on the front I can get paper in along the edge ever so slightly, equidistant on both left and right edge. To me it doesn't seem to be a defect. Mine seems to be by design as I tried both display models in best buy and both did the same as mine. The gap isn't noticeable by the naked eye and it doesn't budge when pressing on it.
    Yeah the issue is only on the front, not the back. It's equidistant on mine too, perhaps 1mm of paper can go in.

Still the light bleed is an eyesore even though I'm never going to see it as I use a case. I'd expect $850 to buy perfection.
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    08-31-2016 11:18 AM
    For people on JOD, or another lease program, this is probably not a huge issue. Especially if you plan on switching to another phone in a few months anyway.

Those who plan on keeping the N7 for 1-2 years, may seriously want to think about swapping yours out for one without the gap. This issue seems far more prevalent than the few batteries that have caught fire, and could very well be the reason Samsung is halting production. I know some people are not concerned...but one thing is for sure, the gap is a defect. Whether minor or not...or if it affects the IP68 rating, is yet to be seen. But there is no chance this is normal & meant to be....or all the N7's would have the light bleed.

You guys with this issue, may want to contact your carrier for an exchange. If anything just to let your carrier know, that your unit is affected. It's good for Sammy to know just how many have this, regardless.
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    08-31-2016 11:42 AM
    I didn't purchase it at the store I purchased it online thru AT&T
    AT&T handles returns, you might have to send it back in. If so, they will send you a shipping label.
    clg82 likes this.
    08-31-2016 12:31 PM
    I didn't purchase it at the store I purchased it online thru AT&T
    You should still be able to return it to the store. It tends to be faster and easier. That said, you might want to call a store and verify first.
    08-31-2016 12:38 PM
    We need more people in the world who do less stressing.
    I totally agree. Lots of products that are around liquids have holes in them too...I mean look at cups or boats, when has a hole at the bottom of those caused an issue...and no one has ever gotten dust under a screen
    08-31-2016 12:42 PM
    You should still be able to return it to the store. It tends to be faster and easier. That said, you might want to call a store and verify first.
    I don't know how AT&T is now. When I was with AT&T still and bought a phone online that AT&T had me return because they though my network issue was a phone, I had to fight tooth and nail to be able to return it at the store.

Of course they could have changed things by now, but checking with AT&T before driving, especially if far away, is good.
    08-31-2016 12:46 PM
    Yeah the issue is only on the front, not the back. It's equidistant on mine too, perhaps 1mm of paper can go in.

Still the light bleed is an eyesore even though I'm never going to see it as I use a case. I'd expect $850 to buy perfection.
    LOL, Not even a million bucks will buy you perfection.

Cannot fit any paper in mine. T-Mobile Black Onyx
    You're not trying hard enough.
    08-31-2016 01:07 PM
    So I have a slight gap on mine, and just ran it under the kitchen tap for a while - was fine. Definitely wierd to be watering one's phone in the kitchen sink 🙃
    jj2339, akin_t, donm527 and 2 others like this.
    08-31-2016 01:08 PM
    So I have a slight gap on mine, and just ran it under the kitchen tap for a while - was fine. Definitely wierd to be watering one's phone in the kitchen sink 🙃
    While I'm honestly not looking forward to setting up a new phone, I do want the most for my money.

I guess I'll just take and advantage of the return period and hope for a device without the light leak.

If I ever decide to use the GearVR, that light leak might be a nuisance.
    Hoggles likes this.
    08-31-2016 02:09 PM
    Black Onyx version here, I have the light bleed but there's no gap to fit paper. Not really going to effect me entirely too much as I use a case. I think it's just how the phone was designed.
    Serkle K likes this.
    08-31-2016 02:47 PM
    While I'm honestly not looking forward to setting up a new phone, I do want the most for my money.

I guess I'll just take and advantage of the return period and hope for a device without the light leak.

If I ever decide to use the GearVR, that light leak might be a nuisance.
    For your gear VR concern, I haven't noticed any issues with the light bleed from it. I wouldn't worry about that. My concern is solely around dust or water coming under the screen via the gap. At least from my experience, no problems with the virtual reality
    08-31-2016 03:01 PM
    I won't be returning mine. If others with this "gap" have dunked theirs in water and nothing happened then I trust it. It doesn't bother me at all.
    DX9 and Serkle K like this.
    08-31-2016 03:44 PM
    Page 228 of user manual
    A small gap appears around the outside of the device case • This gap is a necessary manufacturing feature and some minor rocking or vibration of parts may occur. • Over time, friction between parts may cause this gap to expand slightly

So not a defect...it's a feature
    http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...1.0_160817.pdf
    08-31-2016 04:05 PM
    Page 228 of user manual
    A small gap appears around the outside of the device case •This gap is a necessary manufacturing feature and some minor rocking or vibration of parts may occur. •Over time, friction between parts may cause this gap to expand slightly

So not a defect...it's a feature
    http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...1.0_160817.pdf
    Weird that some phones don't have that.
    Serkle K likes this.
    08-31-2016 04:09 PM
    Weird that some phones don't have that.
    Perhaps they have the defect! 😁
    08-31-2016 04:13 PM
    All I see is bright light following the glass until it reaches the end ( think of fiber optic cable)
    Serkle K likes this.
    08-31-2016 07:13 PM
    Black Onyx version here, I have the light bleed but there's no gap to fit paper. Not really going to effect me entirely too much as I use a case. I think it's just how the phone was designed.
    Same here. I noticed it about a week ago when I took my case off to clean the edges. Not a big deal for me as the case keeps it covered. I'm sure it's fine.
    08-31-2016 07:40 PM
    Black Onyx on verizon. I see a slight light bleed, looks like refraction of light on the edge of the glass, but can not stick paper in like the OP. I think the light refraction is normal.
    08-31-2016 07:56 PM
    @vespesian You are very brave. Glad all is okay.
    08-31-2016 08:25 PM
    Someone said his phone goes swimming, so no it's not a seal issue.
    08-31-2016 08:30 PM
    Yeah, that doesn't look good. I wonder how many others are like that.
    08-31-2016 08:33 PM
113 ... 2345