Please check your phone for this build quality issue. See picture and details!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmilviper

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
With your phone on a white webpage in a dark room, and with the brightness turned up fully....Look directly at the side of the phone above the volume buttons and along the length of the webpage on the screen....Do you see a small gap with light coming through below the black paint on the glass and the metal? See pic.

This is not a reflection due to the curved glass, and it is not a simple build quality issue due to black painted area not going down far enough.

Mine is an actual gap that I can stick a corner of a piece of paper into quite far. It also disappears when I press down on that side of the screen.

My wife got the same phone at the same time, and hers is the same!

Who else has this issue?

mru007

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I have not yet got my hands on the Note 7 in person, so cannot comment much on this. However, besides this 'edge' issue you are facing, other major issues like the glass of Note 7 getting scratched & cracked easily, seems to prove that the glass used is indeed of poor build quality. I personally think some material composition / percentage has gone wrong during the manufacturing process itself. Hope Samsung & Corning fix this in the next manufacturing lot of Note 7.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
With your phone on a white webpage in a dark room, and with the brightness turned up fully....Look directly at the side of the phone above the volume buttons and along the length of the webpage on the screen....Do you see a small gap with light coming through below the black paint on the glass and the metal? See pic.

This is not a reflection due to the curved glass, and it is not a simple build quality issue due to black painted area not going down far enough.

Mine is an actual gap that I can stick a corner of a piece of paper into quite far. It also disappears when I press down on that side of the screen.

Who else has this issue?

[url]http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b511/cmilviper/Mobile%20Uploads/20160830_224517_zpsvrrsdn86.jpg[/URL]

Luckily I don't have that issue. I would definitely take it back and get replacement or another phone or money back.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, mine is the same as yours and your wife's. Although, I had to turn the brightness all the way up and turn off all the lights in my room to see it.

I'm not a Samsung apologist but I honestly think this is by design. Probably trying to use that gap to dampen any impacts the phone might be susceptible to when dropped. Not that it did them any good lol.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Hmm, mine is the same as yours and your wife's. Although, I had to turn the brightness all the way up and turn off all the lights in my room to see it.

I'm not a Samsung apologist but I honestly think this is by design. Probably trying to use that gap to dampen any impacts the phone might be susceptible to when dropped. Not that it did them any good lol.

Shoot, if mine was like that, it would drive me nuts lol.

cmilviper

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking about returning both tomorrow.

I wouldn't necessarily mind, but it seems like it is not sealed like it should be.

I shouldn't be able to see dust get caught in the gap, and shouldn't be able to slide a piece of paper into the gap either.

Damn.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I am thinking about returning both tomorrow.

I wouldn't necessarily mind, but it seems like it is not sealed like it should be.

I shouldn't be able to see dust get caught in the gap, and shouldn't be able to slide a piece of paper into the gap either.

Damn.

Yeah and phone cost to much to live with it that for sure.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I'm still within my 2 week period. I seriously can't be arsed to exchange it over this. I personally think it's trivial.

What is the screen managed to break away somehow? Like during a drop or something. But hey it's all good. It will bother some and won't bother some.

RicM211

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Can someone without the light leak please try to out a piece of paper between their screen and metal frame like OP just demonstrated.

Mine has the same light leak, I can slide a piece of paper in there too but I want to see if people without the leak can do it too. I have my note all set up and can overlook this as long as it's still sealed for water proof etc.

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
It might not be bothersome, but I'm pretty certain it would not exactly be water resistant anymore. Time to go turn off all my lights now...

climb

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site

Who else has this issue?

[url]http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b511/cmilviper/Mobile%20Uploads/20160830_224517_zpsvrrsdn86.jpg[/URL]

I am rocking the Black Note 7 and have this reflective line. It does not bother me.

I am currently in bed, in a completely dark room with no lights on, have my blue light filter on but screen at maximum brightness, and can barely, if at all, see the line when holding the phone sideways and looking at it.

My phone has also gone swimming, several times (I couldn't resist!!) and it is operating as smooth as silk.

Don't believe this is a design defect

But completely understand that it would bother some folks for sure

climb

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I am rocking the Black Note 7 and have this reflective line. It does not bother me.

I am currently in bed, in a completely dark room with no lights on, have my blue light filter on but screen at maximum brightness, and can barely, if at all, see the line when holding the phone sideways and looking at it.

My phone has also gone swimming, several times (I couldn't resist!!) and it is operating as smooth as silk.

And, if you turn out the lights, and switch from the blue light filter to the regular display, and at full brightness, you will see this line appear across the top and bottom of the phone, with breaks (dark solid area) for the bottom home button and the top grill......think this is designed as intended

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
i have the blue one... on one side the light only filters out half way down. the paper goes in and when i run it up the phone it starts catching grip in the middle. and its only a tiny bit of the paper. but on the right-hand side a lot of the paper goes in all the way across.

One of the biggest reason i upgraded was because of the water resistance. does make you wonder if this is the cause.
I would speak to a samsung rep via chat. let the know concerns so if anything down the line you have documentation that you were concerned about the issue.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

Yup, wouldn't have even noticed it without this thread.

I'm almost certain it is by design. It's symmetrically consistent and doesn't seem like a quality control issue at all.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I will be honest, I hate posts like these because they force you to see things that I would never have noticed and stress me out. I inspected my phone like the OP suggested and saw the same thing only to realize it isn't just On one side. It's on all sides of my Note.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm