Please check your phone for this build quality issue. See picture and details!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
So I found this on XDA. (Please check your phone for this build quality issue. See picture and details. - Post #26)

Evidently, what gives our phones 'color' is a piece of cellophane that is inserted into the phone's enclosure. It could be that the cellophane doesn't cover every nook and cranny (as it might have on previous models) and so it gives the illusion of poor finish. If it isn't already obvious, they've also reported that water resistance isn't compromised.

Interestingly enough, you can make your phone transparent if you're so inclined.

I'd have to have my phone out of the case and then be in a pitch black room and then turn the screen brightness all the way up before it even manifests. Considering all the other issues people are having, I'm not sure if I should gamble on a replacement over such a cosmetic non-issue.

What are you guys planning to do?
View attachment 237902

Not going to do a darn thing cause I don't have this gap lol so i don't have any worries or complaints.

clg82

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
My new Note7 arrives this afternoon so I will report on whether mine has it or not.....it's a black one fyi.....quick question tho.....how long is the warranty on these phones? and also where do we return them if we are unhappy with them? I purchased it from AT&T if that matters.....also is there any way to purchase insurance on these phones after the fact....if we do indeed want to but insurance later? thanks for any help....and I will report back this afternoon!~Chris

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
See above.

All Note 7's have a 'gap'. You can slide a piece of paper under your screen.

Now whether or not the film inserted into the back of your phone (to give it color) obscures light from emitting from said gap is another thing entirely. For whatever reason, Samsung set the sealing gaskets deeper this year.

Not all note 7's

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So I found this on XDA. (Please check your phone for this build quality issue. See picture and details. - Post #26)

Evidently, what gives our phones 'color' is a piece of cellophane that is inserted into the phone's enclosure. It could be that the cellophane doesn't cover every nook and cranny (as it might have on previous models) and so it gives the illusion of poor finish. If it isn't already obvious, they've also reported that water resistance isn't compromised.

Interestingly enough, you can make your phone transparent if you're so inclined.

I'd have to have my phone out of the case and then be in a pitch black room and then turn the screen brightness all the way up before it even manifests. Considering all the other issues people are having, I'm not sure if I should gamble on a replacement over such a cosmetic non-issue.

What are you guys planning to do?
View attachment 237902
Nothing. Doesn't really bother me, especially since mine doesn't seem to have that gap, or at least one that's big enough to worry, especially if the water-resistance isn't compromised.

But there's one thing. I want to have a transparent back cover for mine. :p

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
This is a known issue that has been reported on xda. Sammy knows too and doesn't care. They call it a feature. There is something called edge lighting in one of the settings. Can't remember where, but that may be different. I turned mine off just in case.

Edge lighting is a setting that allows you to get alerts along the edge panel when the phone is screen face down.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
My new Note7 arrives this afternoon so I will report on whether mine has it or not.....it's a black one fyi.....quick question tho.....how long is the warranty on these phones? and also where do we return them if we are unhappy with them? I purchased it from AT&T if that matters.....also is there any way to purchase insurance on these phones after the fact....if we do indeed want to but insurance later? thanks for any help....and I will report back this afternoon!~Chris
You'd return it to the store you bought it. We're all given a 2 week window.

I believe the insurance has to be bought at the store at time of purchase if you're going through your carrier's.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it's just the light refraction from the curve. Just like when you shine a bright light through fiber optics and bend it... and then look at then ends. it's going to be just as bright there as it is at the point the light is shining.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
You're saying your screen is bonded shut to the metal frame?

Not having light leak is believable, several devices don't. However, I'm pretty sure your Note 7 has gaskets in the same place as the rest of them.

Yes sir, that's what I'm saying. I don't have a gap so i can't put paper thru like others are saying which is good thing for me. I tested every part of the screen. It's sealed shut like every other note or other phone I've had including s6 edge plus

DX9

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I was in the hot tub last night and tried it in the water. Also tried it on the weekend also. Pretty cool with all the jets going :). Yes I have a black onyx and have the gap

clg82

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
You'd return it to the store you bought it. We're all given a 2 week window.

I believe the insurance has to be bought at the store at time of purchase if you're going through your carrier's.

I didn't purchase it at the store I purchased it online thru AT&T

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
See above.

All Note 7's have a 'gap'. You can slide a piece of paper under your screen.

Now whether or not the film inserted into the back of your phone (to give it color) obscures light from emitting from said gap is another thing entirely. For whatever reason, Samsung set the sealing gaskets deeper this year.

It may be there, but I cannot see it in a dark room, case off, etc. Checked both edges. Therefore, in my world it does not exist. ;)

pmr5019

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Silver Verizon Note 7 here. I don't have any gap on the back, paper won't go in at all. But on the front I can get paper in along the edge ever so slightly, equidistant on both left and right edge. To me it doesn't seem to be a defect. Mine seems to be by design as I tried both display models in best buy and both did the same as mine. The gap isn't noticeable by the naked eye and it doesn't budge when pressing on it.

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site
We ordered two (BOGO) direct from AT&T and bought Samsung Care after the fact - it has a 31 day waiting period for accidental damage claims (if you buy direct from Samsung you can get immediate coverage if purchased with the phone).

I'm new to Samsung/Android after nine years of iPhone's only (Treo, Windows Phone, and Blackberry before that), but I love this thing too much to be deterred from keeping it...just concerned.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Silver Verizon Note 7 here. I don't have any gap on the back, paper won't go in at all. But on the front I can get paper in along the edge ever so slightly, equidistant on both left and right edge. To me it doesn't seem to be a defect. Mine seems to be by design as I tried both display models in best buy and both did the same as mine. The gap isn't noticeable by the naked eye and it doesn't budge when pressing on it.
Yeah the issue is only on the front, not the back. It's equidistant on mine too, perhaps 1mm of paper can go in.

Still the light bleed is an eyesore even though I'm never going to see it as I use a case. I'd expect $850 to buy perfection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781