09-02-2016 04:36 PM
1,397 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    I don't think anyone has mentioned the car charger that charges the Note 7. I got one from Verizon and it's a fast charger USC.

So if the battery is bad it may explode while you charge it in your car as well.
    09-01-2016 12:34 PM
    To issue a recall involves a lot. I have no doubt Samsung will handle this the right way, they have a reputation they have to maintain.
    Even contemplating one is a headache that you can only understand if you have done it. The number of moving parts and decisions can be mind boggling.
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    09-01-2016 12:36 PM
    Even contemplating one is a headache that you can only understand if you have done it. The number of moving parts and decisions can be mind boggling.
    Oh yes, especially if you are talking worldwide on top of that. Anything outside of South Korea you are then talking more than one government involved.
    SteelGator likes this.
    09-01-2016 12:39 PM
    This recall is it going to be for our American models or just the ones in Korea and certain countries with that battery?
    09-01-2016 12:39 PM
    They won't recall the Note 7. What is there 2 whole Note 7's in the world that have blown up from using a 59 cent charger.
    msndrstood likes this.
    09-01-2016 12:40 PM
    Yeah but my car also has a car dealership name on it. They are never on the hook.
    That is a good analogy.

My point was more that lawyers will sue anybody in the chain, starting with the deepest pockets. The company in the worst spot is the battery supplier. This could easily put them out of business, depending on their size and culpibility.
    09-01-2016 12:40 PM
    Yeah but my car also has a car dealership name on it. They are never on the hook.
    Wow, I take that off as soon as I get it home. Lol.

Reading some comments about "renting" phones leaves me wondering how many don't have a backup device. Would that many actually not have one?

The Samsung spokesman quoted above somewhere and I read from some tech sites is saying: "recall would involve SK and (abroad)". So the U.S. is "abroad" I believe. Maybe they don't know yet for sure how many devices may have gotten out of the Asian market and could be anywhere.
    09-01-2016 12:41 PM
    This recall is it going to be for our American models or just the ones in Korea and certain countries with that battery?
    No one knows yet. Nothing official has been announced.
    09-01-2016 12:43 PM
    They won't recall the Note 7. What is there 2 whole Note 7's in the world that have blown up from using a 59 cent charger.
    I think it is likely there will at least be batches recalled. They are in the middle of a root cause investigation that will shed light on the risks to all devices that have been produced to date. If they can say with a high degree of certainty that a battery out of a plant or out of a lot from a plant is the issue, then the recall can be limited to those affected. As their level of certainty goes down, the size of the recall goes up.
    09-01-2016 12:45 PM
    09-01-2016 12:46 PM
    Seems to be more than that right now.
    SteelGator and 21stNow like this.
    09-01-2016 12:46 PM
    No one knows yet. Nothing official has been announced.
    IF Samsung swaps the phones out will we be able to keep our current ones and then ship the old one back to them when we get the replacement?
    09-01-2016 12:47 PM
    IF Samsung swaps the phones out will we be able to keep our current ones and then ship the old one back to them when we get the replacement?
    It is a possibility.
    09-01-2016 12:48 PM
    This incident doesn't make sealed batteries a liability. Even if it was removable, it the battery is defective it would still be an issue.
    But it makes it much easier for sending a replacement... Sending a battery vs sending an entire phone... And then they have to deal with taking the old phone back, which now cannot be sold as new.

Of course the downside is people can get generics which might be more prone to failure, but still gives Samsung some bad press.
    09-01-2016 12:49 PM
    Blues, we don't know anything yet. Samsung will be making an announcement this weekend or first of next week it seems.
    It is a possibility.
    But it sounds like it's just certain models with a certain battery, not in all the markets.
    But it sounds like it's just certain models with a certain battery, not in all the markets.
    So far yes but we still don't know. That is why I am waiting on the official response from Samsung versus assuming or trying to piece this random story with this random one.

If a recall is needed they will say something.
    09-01-2016 12:50 PM
    If sealed batteries are a liability for cellphones should Samsung move toward swappable batteries? Users could have 100% mobile availability with swappable batteries and use a LifeProof case for water proof requirements.
    Has lifeproof announced anything for the note 7? I don't see anything in their website and they have never made one for any previous notes
    09-01-2016 12:51 PM
    I'm still trying to win the Android Central Note 7 Giveaway...exploding battery or not.
    We don't know, even the news on South Korea is giving some conflicting info right now.

I know patience isn't your thing 😆 but it is going to required with this. We just have to wait on Samsung.
    msm0511 likes this.
    Two things here...

First, USB-C is a whole different animal than micro USB... We went through this when the 6P/5X was released. Cables and bricks need to be on the up and up.

Second... If you go out and search, you'll find examples of exploding iPhones, HTC 10s, Note 4s, etc. Some are because off cheap cables, others due to some internal defect. It remains to be seen if Samsung issues a recall, or determines that the cause was a poor third party cable or charger.

A single burnt Note 7 will get more attention than 100,000 working ones... Don't panic. ������
    Due to the lack of ISO standards followed by a lot of cheap product makers, the device typically controls power input as a gate. That is why some combinations of connectors, cables and power supplies do not work when plugged in, since thresholds are not compliant. It has to be a really screwed up product to fry a device. It is usually a faulty battery that is the culprit. That or a power surge, but that trips before a battery can go boom.
    nonie likes this.
    09-01-2016 12:54 PM
    We don't know, even the news on South Korea is giving some conflicting info right now.

I know patience isn't your thing ������ but it is going to required with this. We just have to wait on Samsung.
    Samsung stated one tenth of one percent of batteries affected. How is that conflicting? Seems the only thing conflicting is conjecture in the media and in posts.

Was there another announcement after that?
    09-01-2016 12:58 PM
    There are 2 meetings going on at Android Central right now. 1 meeting on how to justify not reporting on this and a second meeting on how to spin the Note 7 being recalled as no big deal because omagerd, Samsung is the greatest company in the histories of all histories.
    Hm .. seems like you were wrong .

Samsung expected to recall Galaxy Note 7s over battery quality concerns | Android Central
    09-01-2016 12:58 PM
    Samsung stated one tenth of one percent of batteries affected. How is that conflicting? Seems the only thing conflicting is conjecture in the media and in posts.

Was there another announcement after that?
    Even in the article they said they were taking with US manufacturers.
    09-01-2016 01:01 PM
    Makes sense them talking specifically about Verizon. I have Verizon Note 7 made in Korea.
    09-01-2016 01:07 PM
1,397 ... 89101112 ...