09-02-2016 04:36 PM
1,397 ... 2627282930 ...
tools
    5 devices out of two and a half million have caught on fire. I feel completely safe keeping the one I have. If Samsung makes the process of changing this out for a new note completely without inconvenience on my part, that is, it's as simple as going into T-Mobile and immediately trading one for one, then I will do it. Otherwise, I'm keeping the one I have. Living on the edge I guess.
    24 out of 1 million sold.
    CehowardNote7 likes this.
    09-02-2016 05:11 AM
    Made by a contractor but still unbelievable that they did not inventory tracking associated with each battery lot number to S/N. Producing over a million consumer electronic units with no tracking seems a bit reckless.

Apple manages a list of S/N with associated lot numbers of parts and consumers could check if their phone falls under a recall (iSight Camera, iPhone 5 battery, etc) and I definitely would've expected the same from a large company such as Samsung.
    It was battery cells made by a contractor.

Are we really complaining that Samsung is giving 1 million free phones?
    09-02-2016 05:12 AM
    Carrier
    You should contact them. I know most carriers outside the US are having people exchange at the carrier. That is likely to be the same in the US.

I'm sure the carriers will be putting out statements also.
    09-02-2016 05:14 AM
    They were very specific, they said the words "battery cells" but we already knew that yesterday.

Samsung gave 100% transparency. I'm not sure you know how recalls work.

Each country has varying laws concerning recalls and things that must be done.

They can do production quickly. They can make a phone one day and have it to you in the US within a week.
    I think you missed my point completely. The approach smacks of we don't really know what the problem is so we need to get ALL the phones off the street. That removes the immediate liability concern. However, I if they haven't figured out the real problem how long will it really take Samsung to get phones back on the street. Who knows. They certainly will not want to have to chance a 2nd recall. The battery cell story does not add up to they truly have a handle on the problem because they could have phased the recall with priority to the known problem phones and swept up the rest.
    Bosbouer and donm527 like this.
    09-02-2016 05:15 AM
    Made by a contractor but still unbelievable that they did not inventory tracking associated with each battery lot number to S/N. Producing over a million consumer electronic units with no tracking seems a bit far-fetched and I think people are going to start questioning details of this recall/issue.

Apple manages a list of S/N with associated lot numbers of parts and consumers could check if their phone falls under a recall (iSight Camera, iPhone 5 battery, etc) and I definitely would've expected the same from a large company such as Samsung.
    Exactly. How do they order from their subcontractors if they don't keep track of lots, p/o's, contract verification...it beggars belief that they wouldn't have batch info at their fingertips.
    Bosbouer and donm527 like this.
    09-02-2016 05:16 AM
    5 devices out of two and a half million have caught on fire. I feel completely safe keeping the one I have. If Samsung makes the process of changing this out for a new note completely without inconvenience on my part, that is, it's as simple as going into T-Mobile and immediately trading one for one, then I will do it. Otherwise, I'm keeping the one I have. Living on the edge I guess.
    I could see your point if these fires happened over the course of a couple of years, but these fires took place within a few days after launch! I'd take this recall seriously.
    Kelly Kearns, donm527 and 21stNow like this.
    09-02-2016 05:16 AM
    1 million free phones is not free - what about people that don't have a backup phone in the mean time and phone setups that now span weeks or days to get it customized to where you want it.. Also, I don't think people are complaining about free phones so much, as wary and concerned that Samsung actually knows the problem so we won't be going through this again in a month or conversely, that customers won't be waiting weeks or months for replacement phones.
    09-02-2016 05:18 AM
    I think you missed my point completely. The approach smacks of we don't really know what the problem is so we need to get ALL the phones off the street. That removes the immediate liability concern. However, I if they haven't figured out the real problem how long will it really take Samsung to get phones back on the street. Who knows. They certainly will not want to have to chance a 2nd recall. The battery cell story does not add up to they truly have a handle on the problem because they could have phased the recall with priority to the known problem phones and swept up the rest.
    Actually they know what happened. They also have had 35 sent in all over the world and 24 were found to be battery issues due to the battery cells.

Why are we complaining about Samsung replacing phones? Obviously they do not know all the phones that are affected or they would just do that.
    SteelGator likes this.
    09-02-2016 05:20 AM
    I could see your point if these fires happened over the course of a couple of years, but these fires took place within a few days after launch! I'd take this recall seriously.
    And that is the reason exactly that Samsung said they took this seriously, the number that happened so quickly.
    09-02-2016 05:21 AM
    1 million free phones is not free - what about people that don't have a backup phone in the mean time and phone setups that now span weeks or days to get it customized to where you want it.. Also, I don't think people are complaining about free phones so much, as wary and concerned that Samsung actually knows the problem so we won't be going through this again in a month or conversely, that customers won't be waiting weeks or months for replacement phones.
    I'm done with this convo. Have a nice day.
    Bosbouer likes this.
    09-02-2016 05:21 AM
    Sigh... Well I hope my new one runs as nice as my current one. Only issue I'm having is slow internet speed. But the rest of this device has been flawless, no lagging or anything
    09-02-2016 05:23 AM
    If you ask me, it feels like Samsung is playing it really safe.

They probably already have the part number and whichever phone has it as part of its serial number database. However, there's just no guarantee that the phones not falling into the 0.1% aren't going to have some faults as well.

Rather than gamble with which batch has the problematic part, Samsung seems to be taking the bold decision of recalling every Note7 made just to ensure that the problem is solved and that the phone is much less likely to have a similar fault in the future.

The last thing Samsung wants at this point is a second recall. That would seriously damage consumer confidence in the company.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    09-02-2016 05:24 AM
    24 were discovered to have a similar battery defect. Only 5 actual fires.
    smh
    09-02-2016 05:24 AM
    Actually they know what happened. They also have had 35 sent in all over the world and 24 were found to be battery issues due to the battery cells.

Why are we complaining about Samsung replacing phones? Obviously they do not know all the phones that are affected or they would just do that.
    Because its a freakin' hassle to be w/o a phone and to have recustomize it over again and never should have happened in the first place. As a customer who paid top $ for a new phone, I should not have to be exposed to the danger or inconvenience, so pardon me if I am miffed. That doesn't mean I don't think Samsung is doing the right thing. I just hope they DO know what the problem and fix are.
    09-02-2016 05:25 AM
    So can we keep these phones until we get the new one?
    09-02-2016 05:27 AM
    If they say 2 months to replace, maybe. But two weeks to replace it's unlikely to have any changes, as new changes will require rigorous testing also
    09-02-2016 05:27 AM
    Because its a freakin' hassle to be w/o a phone and to have recustomize it over again and never should have happened in the first place. As a customer who paid top $ for a new phone, I should not have to be exposed to the danger or inconvenience, so pardon me if I am miffed.
    No one said you had to be without a phone yet.

A hassle to set up?

Recalls happen in the real world. Samsung is jumping on this immediately and going above and beyond and doing everything they can to make it convenient.

I am so angry at Samsung right now for other things and I am extremely impressed with how Samsung is handling this and how quickly they are.

This isn't what you would get from many manufacturers of anything.
    treedabl and SteelGator like this.
    09-02-2016 05:29 AM
    So can we keep these phones until we get the new one?
    Don't know the details yet. I'm expecting carriers and retailers to have their own announcements.
    09-02-2016 05:30 AM
    Well good. I already scratched my screen thanks to GG5, so now I can get a new one. Yay! Lol.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    09-02-2016 05:30 AM
    Samsung isn't going to confiscate your phone or ban you from using it. Just like with any other recall, it's up to the consumer to replace the defective item. Some people won't.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    09-02-2016 05:31 AM

A hassle to set up?

Recalls happen in the real world. Samsung is jumping on this immediately and going above and beyond and doing everything they can to make it convenient.

I am so angry at Samsung right now for other things and I am extremely impressed with how Samsung is handling this and how quickly they are.

Ok you win. Samsung is awesome. Happy?
    09-02-2016 05:31 AM
    Ok you win. Samsung is awesome. Happy?
    No, doesn't do anything for me.

If I were you, I would contact my carrier and inquire how they intend to handle this so you can get the facts.
    09-02-2016 05:32 AM
    A complete recall is a complete loss for them. A lie in meaning that it's got to be more than 0.1% to do something unprecedented. There is something more... if only batteries they could find and recall the ones in questions. Here is an example of how one company did it...

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

Well, they probably could, but it's a tedious task and it doesn't guarantee that the others aren't faultless.

Samsung's playing it really safe by recalling every Note7 out there. It will hurt their earnings and profits for sure, but their reputation might not suffer that much dings as a result.
    09-02-2016 05:36 AM
    Definitely not free for the people that placed skins and screen protectors on their phones... Also setup time is the biggest investment imo.... I'm not looking forward to doing this 😠😠 over again.... I'm going to need another free gift for my time... And also hope I don't receive a defective device with lag or screen tent issues....

A hassle to set up?

I agree with you. It usually takes these companies many months to even acknowledge there's a problem. I'm glad that Samsung is taking swift and decisive action. I'm sure it will be somewhat of an inconvenience for all of us, but avoiding the risk is worth it.
    Kelly Kearns and Jona005 like this.
1,397 ... 2627282930 ...