09-02-2016 04:36 PM
1,397 12345 ...
tools
    And last year we had the Spen issue too being inserted in backwards and Samsung fixed it in later models of the Note 5. Then the S5 I remember had water resistant issues. It seems a lot of phones the early production runs have some bugs in them.
    08-31-2016 06:05 PM
    It sucks for the 1 or 2 folks that had this issue, but I would say this. If the culprit is a bad charger or bad cable - not OEM - then this guy could have plugged anything into the other end of it and had the same result, not only a Note 7.

Obviously, we don't know what happened yet. But I would bet it is just that, sub-standard charger or cable. Good on Samsung for checking on this, even if it is just out an an abundance of caution.

That said, we really don't have much info on cause at all, so it seems silly to talk about "production issues" or "quality control" at this point. With (assuming) millions of devices sold already, if it were really a widespread issue using OEM charging equipment, there would be many many more reports of this.

TL;DR : It's probably best if we just wait until we know more before assuming anything. It's possible that the halt is actually due to this instead...
    nonie likes this.
    08-31-2016 06:13 PM
    Scary **** honestly. I'm using the ATT version and my phone gets pretty warm when charging. I'm obviously using the standard cables. Should I be able to return it no questions asked if this issue is still a question mark to samsung?
    08-31-2016 06:15 PM
    Unless they release a formal statement, I wouldn't worry. And warming up while charging is pretty normal, especially if you're doing fast charging. Like the reports say, most likely the affected units were using a 3rd party USB-C cable/adapter, and as we've seen with our own AC Bloggers, that can lead to pretty nasty results.
    08-31-2016 06:21 PM
    Scary **** honestly. I'm using the ATT version and my phone gets pretty warm when charging. I'm obviously using the standard cables. Should I be able to return it no questions asked if this issue is still a question mark to samsung?
    Fast charging heats up the phone more then normal, even says so in the settings... You can turn fast charge off if your worried about the Temp...
    08-31-2016 06:33 PM
    Is there that much of a variance in USB that their is no one standard for cables and power bricks? Seems to me manufacturers should have held off if there were going to be this many potential issues.
    08-31-2016 06:49 PM
    Is there that much of a variance in USB that their is no one standard for cables and power bricks? Seems to me manufacturers should have held off if there were going to be this many potential issues.
    The issue is third party cables and chargers... The ones following spec are ok
    SpookDroid likes this.
    08-31-2016 06:52 PM
    This is nothing new, iPhones and other manufacturers have all had issues like this... nbd Samsung is at least being proactive
    nonie likes this.
    08-31-2016 07:32 PM
    I turn fast charge off. Non replaceable battery, so minimizing the risk of impacting battery capacitance over time. Heat does not do a battery good. During use or charge. I use my experience working at Exide Battery in quality and production as reference for this decision.
    08-31-2016 07:46 PM
    I just use the brick and cable, or adapter that came with the phone... if it blows up, so be it... it's under warranty for these things. If it burns down my house, well, Samsung will have to pony up
    08-31-2016 07:57 PM
    This isn't the first glass back. It's not even the only one this year.
    Doesn't mean it's going to fly with consumers or lawyers with all the breakage. something that gets such heavy use should never have a glass back. This is one situation in which I applaud the iPhone. Samsung will get extra insurance business along with Sprint and SquareTrade (I'm sure there's more). This is a flat-out win-win money situation for all involved except the consumers.
    08-31-2016 08:19 PM
    Doesn't mean it's going to fly with consumers or lawyers with all the breakage. something that gets such heavy use should never have a glass back. This is one situation in which I applaud the iPhone. Samsung will get extra insurance business along with Sprint and SquareTrade (I'm sure there's more). This is a flat-out win-win money situation for all involved except the consumers.
    What do you mean it won't fly with lawyers? Seems to be flying with consumers, right off the shelf.. Has been for a couple of years. I was fine without all the glass, but glass is what people want.

No one is forcing anyone to use Samsung phones. If they don't like the glass back, don't buy it.
    nonie likes this.
    08-31-2016 08:25 PM
    Lol
    08-31-2016 08:46 PM
    maybe they'll build you a bionic arm if it blows up in your hand.
    ajb1965 likes this.
    08-31-2016 08:49 PM
    No I'm nervous about this. One I was like ok freak accident. Twice now I'm a bit worried. Have not decidedd what I'll do. I draw the line at exploding devices.
    08-31-2016 09:36 PM
    It takes a lot to get me concerned about these "issues" that one sees pop up after a new phone is released but I will add a little anecdotal data to the mix. The other night I grabbed my Note4 (original) cable and the Samsung usb-c adapter that was included with my Note7 as I was heading out for a last minute overnight away. Later that night I plugged it in and after about 15 minutes the adapter was so hot I couldn't touch it for longer than a few seconds without feeling it was going to burn me. Immediately unplugged it. It was WAY too hot. I won't be using that adapter ever again.
    honestally I might report that so they know if they don't already. Just so they can do further testing. Better safe than sorry.
    08-31-2016 09:49 PM
    08-31-2016 10:09 PM
    Apparently the areas being reviewed are the charging power functions and USB-C, but only the 8890 version. If Samsung had safety concerns for the 820 version, they would have stop alerts / recalls sent to retail. Not showing due diligence in these matters is pure lawsuit bait.
    Not true. I just read some articles that it would be all models as it would be a battery issue and both models use the same battery.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ry-explosions/

Well that is what I got from it. Other articles say the halt was only in south korea. I don't know. Will obviously be watching this though.
    08-31-2016 10:11 PM
    I don't use 3rd party. My cables are Samsung. Only use what comes equipped with phone

Posted via the Android Central App
    nonie likes this.
    08-31-2016 10:19 PM
    Current sales is likely one of the lesser concerns Samsung has right now.

Safety along with their reputation seems to be what they're concerned with now.
    nonie likes this.
    08-31-2016 10:21 PM
    Iphones have also had similar issues too with the phones even burning up while in the users pocket.
    nonie likes this.
    08-31-2016 10:32 PM
    He fell off his bike damaging his phone and battery ruptured from fall.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/...nger-awareness

Iphones have also had similar issues too with the phones even burning up while in the users pocket.
    08-31-2016 10:43 PM
    He fell off his bike damaging his phone and battery ruptured from fall.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/...nger-awareness
    There have been several, including one that burst into flames mid-flight.
    nonie likes this.
    08-31-2016 11:01 PM
    There have been several, including one that burst into flames mid-flight.
    Exploding phones aren't new. They've been a thing for a while.
    Kelly Kearns and nonie like this.
    08-31-2016 11:07 PM
    Agreed. I smell a class action suit over the glass issues. REALLY poor design idea to have a glass back. Might be "pretty", but that won't last long unless you have a serious case. I'm so on the fence about keeping or returning and only because of the glass back.
    Yea. I would have prefer an aluminum back with a matte surface for better grip
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    08-31-2016 11:11 PM
1,397 12345 ...