09-02-2016 04:36 PM
1,397 ... 3435363738 ...
tools
    Hmm.....it seems that Note 7 is, indeed, on "fire" now
    Well, I will keep my Note 4 for few more days now. And if Android 7.0 makes it's way on Note 4 by Feb. 2017, this phone is such a beast even after 2 years of it's launch that it's good to go for another year or so
    09-02-2016 07:44 AM
    You know what they say, any publicity is good publicity.

Except maybe not this publicity...
    09-02-2016 07:44 AM
    Fine. My point is I'm not having any issues with it. It doesn't ever heat up. The only time it got a little warm was when I used the adapter and tried to charge it with a regular USB cable. Obviously you shouldn't. Other than that nothing.
    I'd say just be patient. This is a huge undertaking, one that may be unprecendented in the industry -- I cannot remember one. They will get their duck in a row. Based on what I see as a very conservative (and laudible) approach, they will work to minimize your inconvenience.

One of the easier things they can do with US carriers may be walk in and switch it out. That said, I have not thought deeply about this, and I am sure there will be multiple options you can choose from.
    Kelly Kearns and nonie like this.
    09-02-2016 07:46 AM
    Just contacted Samsung Customer Services in the UK on 0330 726 1000. They had high call volume, which was expected, and when I got through to someone they denied a total recall was being made and that investigations are still ongoing. When I told them that it's been reported in all of the media outlets they again stated "Samsung haven't made a decision yet and we certainly haven't been told".

Bit comical when the company have made an official statement regarding the issue but don't seem to communicated that to staff. Either that or she was outside having a cigarette at the time...

I purchased a SIM free phone from the Carphone Warehouse so assume I will be able to pick one up from them in due course. Happy to wait - well, until it blows up...
    Yeah it has been announced for sure.
    09-02-2016 07:47 AM
    As far as Note 7 sales... It will cost them everything to date. All the cost to manufacture and distribute 2... 3 millions phones? Then to have to make 2... 3 million phones to replace users/stock. And the cost to ship all those phones back and forth. And then you need to restart production to restock for new buyers. And you lost all momentum going into the Apple event next week and the holidays coming up. And the PR on exploding phones.

All that for 0.1% of phones? hmm.

The exploding issue could potentially effect every device. It could be a ticking time bomb situation. I've never seen a complete recall. I wonder how much this will cost them.
    09-02-2016 07:48 AM
    I really hope they give the option for a refund of the phone. Because I don't know if I could trust this phone after this.
    Snappy Phoenix likes this.
    09-02-2016 07:48 AM
    Your Note 7 is "the bomb". .
    verks likes this.
    09-02-2016 07:49 AM
    Why I'm sticking with the Galaxy Note 7:

1. Biggest reason - it is the best smartphone I have ever owned and running great. Years of experience, since the Treo 300, leads me to say that even after only 10 days of ownership. While this is my first Samsung smartphone, I've owned every non-"s" iPhone, the iPhone 3GS and 6s Plus, as well as Blackberry, HTC Windows Phone, and the Treo's - the Galaxy Note 7 is teh best ever.

2. They issued a full recall - there is now no risk to me of having a bad battery. Too many corporations play the percentages game, figure their maximum losses, and leave consumers hanging. Samsung owned up and is replacing all of the phones.

3. It would be financial insanity - thanks to Samsung and AT&T I am getting the best bargain ever on a cutting edge flagship phone: the cost of mine and my son's two GN7's is $1758 - AT&T BOGO promotion ($695 in 30 monthly credits) - 256gb mSDXC ($199) - Gear Fit 2 ($179) = $685 for two for the best smartphones on the planet. Even without the BOGO promotion each of these top tier phones are costing $679 thanks to the Samsung freebies.

SUGGESTION TO SAMSUNG - when you issue the replacement phones, offer a free or reduced cost 2 year extended care (subject to the usual $99 deductibles for accidental damage). That's another $129 lost revenue per warranty, but not much "out of pocket" if the phones are truly as solid as I believe they are.
    Gray Area and billykac like this.
    Yeah, uh, as an owner of an S7 Active that was one of the early batch that potentially had issues with water resistance, I'd be doing backflips if they'd recalled our phones and not just agreed to repair/replace in the advent of water damage. You guys have power in numbers since you own the flagship device. I'll just say Smart Switch worked for me when I transferred my setup from my original S7 Active to my replacement. I've heard that isn't always the case.
    I thought about you guys when they announced this a few hours ago. All of you would be happy with this announcement for your phones.
    Darn, I literally just applied a screen protector I liked last night. It was only $8, so no big loss, but I wish I had waited to do it until this weekend as I'd planned.

I'm happy that Samsung has publicly acknowledged the issue and is going to replace them. I'm mainly concerned about how I'll go about the swap, though. I bought mine online from Best Buy at full retail, rather than my carrier. I guess we'll see.
    Gray Area likes this.
    09-02-2016 07:50 AM
    Sealed battery probably cost them at least $500 million in lost revenue- iPhone will capture a chunk of missed sales during the recall and some will not come back. If replaceable, they are doing a battery recall instead and paying for repackaging for boxed phones to replace batteries. The tunnel vision of forcing two year a retirement curve has backfired this time. And Yes, you can make water resistant cover seals for replaceable batteries.

Will be interesting if this event makes Samsung think about changing back, but the answer there is probably for sure a No.
    09-02-2016 07:51 AM
    I consider myself a pragmatic optimist. As such, I am running naked to celebrate the news!

Just pulled off my IQ Shield, so now I will see for myself how GG5 behaves over the next few weeks waiting for the exchange.

It may go swimming with me too, we'll see. I still need it to work. lol
    Kelly Kearns and dstrauss like this.
    09-02-2016 07:52 AM
    The screen protector market will make out great on this on the reorders of screen protectors

Darn, I literally just applied a screen protector I liked last night. It was only $8, so no big loss, but I wish I had waited to do it until this weekend as I'd planned.

I'm happy that Samsung has publicly acknowledged the issue and is going to replace them. I'm mainly concerned about how I'll go about the swap, though. I bought mine online from Best Buy at full retail, rather than my carrier. I guess we'll see.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    09-02-2016 07:52 AM
    I'd say just be patient. This is a huge undertaking, one that may be unprecendented in the industry -- I cannot remember one. They will get their duck in a row. Based on what I see as a very conservative (and laudible) approach, they will work to minimize your inconvenience.

One of the easier things they can do with US carriers may be walk in and switch it out. That said, I have not thought deeply about this, and I am sure there will be multiple options you can choose from.
    I think it us unprecedented. No one can remember a worldwide recall like this.
    09-02-2016 07:53 AM
    I consider myself a pragmatic optimist. As such, I am running naked to celebrate the news!

Just pulled off my IQ Shield, so now I will see for myself how GG5 behaves over the next few weeks waiting for the exchange.

It may go swimming with me too, we'll see. I still need it to work. lol
    Might as well, if you break it, no problem.!
    09-02-2016 07:54 AM
    cynical recall forecast: the AT&T replacements will take longer due to need for ugly AT&T box.
    duke1231, verks and msm0511 like this.
    09-02-2016 07:55 AM
    Let's hope that Samsung finds some fault with the glass panels during this "re-testing" & "re-analyzing" phase.
    And then they should (they must) modify the percentage of the materials used in the glass during the manufacturing process, to make it stronger, reliable & durable
    09-02-2016 07:56 AM
    Might as well, if you break it, no problem.!
    Can you teach me to swim???

hahaha

jk
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    09-02-2016 07:59 AM
    I do love my note 7 so ill get another one, but wife is frustrated with good screen protectors which is problem for all curved phones plus she doesn't use spen like I do she's wondering once all this goes down if she would be forced to get another note 7 or this may be her out to go get an iPhone 7 or even 6s or even back to a regular samsung s7
    michellebjohn likes this.
    09-02-2016 08:00 AM
    I know cross-posting is a sin (says a user with Compuserve experience), but I feel VERY STRONGLY about this so here goes:

Why I'm sticking with the Galaxy Note 7:

1. Biggest reason - it is the best smartphone I have ever owned and running great. Years of experience, since the Treo 300, leads me to say that even after only 10 days of ownership. While this is my first Samsung smartphone, I've owned every non-"s" iPhone, the iPhone 3GS and 6s Plus, as well as Blackberry, HTC Windows Phone, and the Treo's - the Galaxy Note 7 is teh best ever.

2. They issued a full recall - there is now no risk to me of having a bad battery. Too many corporations play the percentages game, figure their maximum losses, and leave consumers hanging. Samsung owned up and is replacing all of the phones.

3. It would be financial insanity - thanks to Samsung and AT&T I am getting the best bargain ever on a cutting edge flagship phone: the cost of mine and my son's two GN7's is $1758 - AT&T BOGO promotion ($695 in 30 monthly credits) - 256gb mSDXC ($199) - Gear Fit 2 ($179) = $685 for two for the best smartphones on the planet. Even without the BOGO promotion each of these top tier phones are costing $679 thanks to the Samsung freebies.

SUGGESTION TO SAMSUNG - when you issue the replacement phones, offer a free or reduced cost 2 year extended care (subject to the usual $99 deductibles for accidental damage). That's another $129 lost revenue per warranty, but not much "out of pocket" if the phones are truly as solid as I believe they are.
    Frenzytom likes this.
    09-02-2016 08:00 AM
    This makes me afraid to use the VR cause it heats the battery up.
    While strapped to your face nonetheless lol
    09-02-2016 08:03 AM

That would be the ideal thing to do. To send the replacements to stores and let people go and switch them in store. Instead of us having to be without a phone being that it wasn't our fault this happened.
    09-02-2016 08:04 AM
    Hey... Got an idea from another thread... Since everyone is getting a new phone...

How about we all do some drop tests to really test out the screens before sending it back.

Let's start off with simple 1 foot drop (case or no case) onto a kitchen table... or even carpet. And go from there. Also, with a butter knife, gently tap on the edge and corners of the display and increasing tap to egg shell cracking force and see if it can handle at least that!!

Please post results so that Samsung and Corning can see before they start rolling out your replacements. Would save them from having to do another recall if we find something
    09-02-2016 08:07 AM
    Hey... Got an idea from another thread... Since everyone is getting a new phone...

How about we all do some drop tests to really test out the screens before sending it back.

Let's start off with simple 1 foot drop (case or no case) onto a kitchen table... or even carpet. And go from there. Also, with a butter knife, gently tap on the edge of the display and increasing tap to egg shell cracking force and see if it can handle at least that!!

Please post results so that Samsung and Corning can see before they start rolling out your replacements. Would save them from having to do another recall if we find something
    Great idea. You start and we'll all follow after you post your results with pictures and videos. Promise.
    09-02-2016 08:11 AM

Let's start off with simple 1 foot drop (case or no case) onto a kitchen table... or even carpet. And go from there. Also, with a butter knife, gently tap on the edge and corners of the display and increasing tap to egg shell cracking force and see if it can handle at least that!!

You first, let me know how it goes.
    Gray Area likes this.
    09-02-2016 08:11 AM
1,397 ... 3435363738 ...