09-02-2016 04:36 PM
1,397 ... 3637383940 ...
tools
    Water resistance is achievable with a removable battery. Galaxy S5 for example.

As far as the OP question. Yes, it would be easier to handle this issue if the battery were swappable and they should go in that direction. Good design is achievable with removable batteries and there is no real negative to it other than the fact customers will have less of a need to upgrade and that's only a negative for the seller.
    I still have my GS5 and hung on to that phone until it started giving me issues. I loved that I could do a battery pull when my phone froze. There's nothing faster than having a spare battery and going from 0-100 just by swapping out the batteries.
    Now that Samsung is recalling the Note 7 's in 10 countries, this is going to cost them a lot of money and the inconvenience of the consumers. HOWEVER, good on Samsung for taking immediate action and doing the right thing. Samsung much rather take the hit now before someone could get seriously hurt or killed.

I think Samsung should reconsider making phones with removable batteries again. The Note 4 is a very attractive phone. It was a bit bulky for me. But they could've improved on the design, left everything alone, (I prefer some plastic on my phones due to better reception) made it water resistant... so if there was ever an issue with the battery, it's a very quick and less expensive fix.

Sorry for the long post. I get this way when I'm defending Samsung. I know it doesn't sound like I am. But being a Samsung user since the Nexus S days till now, I can see the "i" trolls coming on here.

One more thing, I think the LG G5 is quite ugly. I just like that it has a removable battery. Lol.
    Gray Area likes this.
    09-02-2016 08:38 AM
    Don't think so... They don't even have any refurbs cause the phone was just released... It's more probable that people that buy the phone once it's up for sale again will get our refurbished day 1 phones since millions of them would be returned by then....
    If don't receive your device within the next month then I say you might have a chance of getting a refurbished depending on how fast they process the returns
    I think most countries have similar rules to the US about refurbished goods - Samsung cannot refurbish the returned units and resell them as "new" - they would have to be clearly labeled as refurbished (and necessarily be discounted like any other refurbished products).
    09-02-2016 08:39 AM
    As an update to those following my little replies, carphone warehouse are currently trying to figure out what to do regarding those who already have their phones. They are communicating with retail support and samsung, but a replacement phone off the bat so far is not guaranteed, as per the words of the sales consultant I spoke to.

Depending on what samsung says, for those in the UK, we either have to shift contracts temporarily (for those who are on contracts) or get refunded and funnel the money somewhere else. That is if you already have the phone. If you haven't yet, you should be getting the monetary gifts from CW (£25 for sim and £50 for contract preorders)

The sales assistant has said he will get back to me as soon as Samsung support picks up their phone as they are rightfully getting a high number of calls atm.

Hopefully I get a phone this weekend. I doubt, but one can hope.
    I sold mine on eBay, the buyer won't get it till Monday, will be interesting if they contact me, not my problem buddy.
    Hahaha. The buyer is the winner here. He bought for a used price and now will get a brand new device through the recall.

And you sir, should feel ethically bound to contact the buyer if possible, to make sure he is aware of the recall.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    Speaking of shareholders... this would be a good time to short the stock as they release this info and go through the recall process into earnings. It's going to hit their earnings hard.

I wish I had thought that when the Palm was having issues the the Palm Pre and people were returning it left and right.
    They should compensate. This is their fault.
    09-02-2016 08:40 AM
    Well that's not ok at all. Samsung Electronics Romania stated that the phone will officialy be available again here on 16th of September. Curently there is no store with the phone in stock. Mine has to come from Orange. I do hope that at least there will be a way to check if the phone we are receiving as brand new it's actually new and not a refurbished unit...
    09-02-2016 08:41 AM
    Yes, it would be a nice gesture for the inconvenience.
    09-02-2016 08:41 AM
    I think Samsung is handling this well. An upside is that I think we can be assured that the replacement units will be THOROUGHLY tested in all ways and defect free.
    09-02-2016 08:42 AM
    Yes, they should. Time is money and I'm not too excited about setting up another phone from scratch.

Next we will see lawyers on TV saying call if you have been injured by a Note 7.

Samsung better offer us early adopters something.
    scorpiodsu and msm0511 like this.
    I'll take $100 of freebies in the Gear VR market

Nah, $150
    I have no back up phone either guess I will stop at my AT&T Store first thing in the morning and see what if anything that they may have heard. I got my phone last Monday so it has been a week and 3 days - I don't want to go back to Apple I want my Note
    Seriously? Samsung Korea issues a press release overnight (US time) and some local retail AT&T employee in a strip mall is going to have information to give you?
    09-02-2016 08:43 AM
    As a Note owner who has had 0 problems and great battery life, I don't think it's appropriate to even ask for compensation, I'm really on the fence about if I want a replacement device (which will depend largely on how that's handled..I guess I wouldn't mind a new phone replacement, but talk to me about a refurbished unit and I'll run for the hills and take my chances - people are pigs and do sick twisted things with their phones...I don't even touch other people's phones let alone want it next to my face). If they wanted to throw a free gadget at me, I guess I wouldn't mind...but I don't find it necessary.
    09-02-2016 08:43 AM
    How do I tell which version I have???
    09-02-2016 08:44 AM
    Seriously? Samsung Korea issues a press release overnight (US time) and some local retail AT&T employee in a strip mall is going to have information to give you?
    They said weeks, not minutes
    09-02-2016 08:45 AM
    Well my New Note 7 should be at the AT&T store today as I need to pick it up. Guess I will tell them to keep it until the New New replacement units come in. Meanwhile, I'll just use my Note 5 phone, however it charges very slowly and drained horribly yesterday with a drop from , maybe 26 % to 0. Note 3 is looking awfully tempting right now.
    09-02-2016 08:46 AM
    Yes I know they have already lost 7 Billion in market cap when the story first came out. But I gotta think there's a little more juice to squeeze from this apple.

Disclaimer: I don't have any position in Samsung and don't really plan to.
    09-02-2016 08:47 AM
    As an update to those following my little replies, carphone warehouse are currently trying to figure out what to do regarding those who already have their phones. They are communicating with retail support and samsung, but a replacement phone off the bat so far is not guaranteed, as per the words of the sales consultant I spoke to.

Depending on what samsung says, for those in the UK, we either have to shift contracts temporarily (for those who are on contracts) or get refunded and funnel the money somewhere else. That is if you already have the phone. If you haven't yet, you should be getting the monetary gifts from CW (£25 for sim and £50 for contract preorders)

The sales assistant has said he will get back to me as soon as Samsung support picks up their phone as they are rightfully getting a high number of calls atm.

Hopefully I get a phone this weekend. I doubt, but one can hope.
    This is what the head of Samsung said.

"As of Sept. 1, a total of 35 claims were registered with Samsung's service centers at home and abroad. Only 24 units on a scale of 1 million were affected by the battery problem," Koh said in the conference.

Samsung will replace all Galaxy Note 7 handsets sold at home and abroad with new ones, regardless of the date of the purchase, Koh said.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/busi...09400320F.html
    09-02-2016 08:47 AM
    So, they have to engineer the replacement, test it, and manufacture million of phones. The phone, plus the battery supply has to ramp up production for several million more units too. Not to mention coordination with the carriers. And even if they do just repairs - still, a couple of million new batteries will need to be manufactured - and the repair times will back up,

Its going to take them months to do this.
    09-02-2016 08:48 AM
    I too got mine at Best Buy full retail also, but I went to one of the local store to buy it. I don't know if I should get it replaced, seems fine to me so far.
    09-02-2016 08:49 AM
    How do I tell which version I have???
    It isn't about version, it is all of them.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    09-02-2016 08:49 AM
    Darn, I literally just applied a screen protector I liked last night. It was only $8, so no big loss, but I wish I had waited to do it until this weekend as I'd planned.

I'm happy that Samsung has publicly acknowledged the issue and is going to replace them. I'm mainly concerned about how I'll go about the swap, though. I bought mine online from Best Buy at full retail, rather than my carrier. I guess we'll see.
    I too got mine at Best Buy full retail also, but I went to one of the local store to buy it. I don't know if I should get it replaced, seems fine to me so far.
    09-02-2016 08:50 AM
    I think you missed my point completely. The approach smacks of we don't really know what the problem is so we need to get ALL the phones off the street. That removes the immediate liability concern. However, I if they haven't figured out the real problem how long will it really take Samsung to get phones back on the street. Who knows. They certainly will not want to have to chance a 2nd recall. The battery cell story does not add up to they truly have a handle on the problem because they could have phased the recall with priority to the known problem phones and swept up the rest.
    Or they know the problem and know that every battery by that vendor could fail.
    Bosbouer likes this.
    Well my New Note 7 should be at the AT&T store today as I need to pick it up. Guess I will tell them to keep it until the New New replacement units come in. Meanwhile, I'll just use my Note 5 phone, however it charges very slowly and drained horribly yesterday with a drop from , maybe 26 % to 0. Note 3 is looking awfully tempting right now.
    Still have any warranty for a warranty exchange or are you trading it in?
    I am returning mine for a refund
    09-02-2016 08:51 AM
1,397 ... 3637383940 ...