09-02-2016 04:36 PM
1,397 ... 3738394041 ...
tools
    Exactly. How do they order from their subcontractors if they don't keep track of lots, p/o's, contract verification...it beggars belief that they wouldn't have batch info at their fingertips.
    Please. They know the exact serial numbers in every device. It's one of the biggest global manufacturers in the world. It's likely EVERY battery by that vendor with the potential for failure.
    Bosbouer likes this.
    09-02-2016 08:51 AM
    I am returning mine for a refund
    Aug 30th was my last return date. Nice timing Samsung.
    09-02-2016 08:52 AM
    who cares if only x devices are effected. they are recalling ALL phones.

you guys should be arguing about how they are going to handle this instead of arguing about devices effected.
    09-02-2016 08:53 AM
    They will give you a new phone.
    I received mine on a Monday, so my 14 day will expire on Monday.
    Samsung should sue that battery manufacturer out of existence after this monumental f-up.
    09-02-2016 08:54 AM
    Doh! I just got my Octopus Saliva the way I want it! They can't have it back!
    09-02-2016 08:54 AM
    Because its a freakin' hassle to be w/o a phone and to have recustomize it over again and never should have happened in the first place. As a customer who paid top $ for a new phone, I should not have to be exposed to the danger or inconvenience, so pardon me if I am miffed. That doesn't mean I don't think Samsung is doing the right thing. I just hope they DO know what the problem and fix are.
    Your assumption that a full recall indicates they do not know what the issue is logical, but not the only logical conclusion.

I suspect the recall is full because they cannot adequately sample the phones that are not suspect. Finding a 24 ppm (parts per million) problem is really, really. They likely have identified a root cause, and have a way to test for it. The next step is to pull them all in. Moving forward each lot will go through a new validation process. This way, Samsung will know every phone out there has gone through the new validation process.

This is a very conservative approach. I applaud them for it, as it demonstrates more concern about safety than bean counting.

Lay person statistical analysis:

24 ppm is 24 in 1,000,000, 2.4 in 100,000, or .24 in 10,000.
    That means if you pulled in 10,000 phones you are almost guaranteed to find 0 faulty units.
    If you pull in 100,000 phones, you would still have a high probability of finding 0 faulty units.
    You can see from those numbers, by the time you do all the testing, the total recall (I liked the OG better) is likely the better statistical choice.
    Kelly Kearns and Bosbouer like this.
    09-02-2016 08:58 AM
    If anyone wants compensation, extended warranty up to 2 years may be suitable.

Though honestly, since the replacement unit is likely going to be from a new batch overseen by much higher QA standards, along with the fact that they're recalling all of them, I personally don't think we need that much compensation, though I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a fair amount of it.
    gogoplata1980 likes this.
    09-02-2016 08:59 AM
    What is going to happen with the returned devices? Recycle or refurbish? I am highly suspicious that they are going to sell the returned devices as brand-new ones
    09-02-2016 09:04 AM
    This is what the head of Samsung said.

"As of Sept. 1, a total of 35 claims were registered with Samsung's service centers at home and abroad. Only 24 units on a scale of 1 million were affected by the battery problem," Koh said in the conference.

Samsung will replace all Galaxy Note 7 handsets sold at home and abroad with new ones, regardless of the date of the purchase, Koh said.

Samsung announces global recall of Galaxy Note 7
    I understand what you said, but I'm talking about getting a phone in the mean time. At least for the next "coming weeks"
    09-02-2016 09:05 AM
    It isn't about version, it is all of them.
    Actually the Note 7 made in China are not being recalled because they were installed with different batteries than the ones made in Korea which has the problem.
    Not true, so far all we know is that it is 24 of them.
    Yes it is true. I'm not sure why you can't understand this. The recall is for all Note 7's that have been sold.

Samsung has issued a recall for all of them.

There were 35 examined and 24 were found faulty.
    Not true, so far all we know is that it is 24 of them.
    what is so hard to understand? THEY ARE RECALLING EVERY SINGLE PHONE.
    Kelly Kearns and benjamminh like this.
    09-02-2016 09:07 AM
    Apparently some people are having difficulty understanding the definition of "all."
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    09-02-2016 09:07 AM
    I like having a removable battery. I know many people do not care or prefer the glass enclosed phones. With the recall of the Note 7, which I would have bought already if it had a removable battery, I am wondering if anyone has changed their minds.

I think there are some folks at Samsung that are realizing this issue would be much less damaging and expensive if they could just mail out replacement batteries, versus recalling phones.

So what do people think, will something of this magnitude possible make some manufacturers reconsider the removable battery?
    pre1561 likes this.
    09-02-2016 09:08 AM
    I wonder how they are handling accessories. Like if the replacement will be complete in box or if it will he just the phone.
    09-02-2016 09:09 AM
    what is so hard to understand? THEY ARE RECALLING EVERY SINGLE PHONE.
    What about mine?

09-02-2016 09:11 AM
    Actually the Note 7 made in China are not being recalled because they were installed with different batteries than the ones made in Korea which has the problem.
    Actually they are being recalled, all Note 7's sold.

I watched the presser this morning, I waited for the South Korean news to translate it and waited for the Samsung statement.

Koh Dong-jin, head of Samsung's handset business division, told reporters that only 24 out of 1 million Galaxy Note 7 smartphones have been found with the faulty battery.

"As of Sept. 1, a total of 35 claims were registered with Samsung's service centers at home and abroad. Only 24 units on a scale of 1 million were affected by the battery problem," Koh said in the conference.

Samsung will replace all Galaxy Note 7 handsets sold at home and abroad with new ones, regardless of the date of the purchase, Koh said.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/busi...09400320F.html

From Samsung:

"To date (as of September 1) there have been 35 cases that have been reported globally and we are currently conducting a thorough inspection with our suppliers to identify possible affected batteries in the market. However, because our customers’ safety is an absolute priority at Samsung, we have stopped sales of the Galaxy Note7.

For customers who already have Galaxy Note7 devices, we will voluntarily replace their current device with a new one over the coming weeks."

https://news.samsung.com/global/stat...n-galaxy-note7

Statement from T-Mobile, who sells Note 7's made in China:

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-a...te7-update.htm
    09-02-2016 09:13 AM
    If I disable DT Ignite will this solve the problem?

Edit: I recognize only a few forum geeks will understand this humor.
    Funniest bit of the morning so far!
    Has anyone heard about the note 7 recall? What are we suppose to do?
    Samsung should sue that battery manufacturer out of existence after this monumental f-up.
    I'm sure they have contracts between each that describe how they handle stuff like this. It would be unlikely to sue them since the burden likely falls on both. They would most likely work out something for reduced compensation in the future or Samsung just cut ties altogether.
    09-02-2016 09:14 AM
    Has anyone heard about the note 7 recall? What are we suppose to do?
    read the forums, it's all over the place!
    calicocat2010 likes this.
    09-02-2016 09:14 AM
    For those that think Samsung will lose a huge amount of money on this, don't worry. All the returned phones will be refurbished and sold to insurance companies/programs as replacements for claims. So when you file a claim with Samsung, Squaretrade, your carrier or other insurance provider, one of these refurbished phones will be sent out to you. So for Samsung all is not lost. There will just be a huge pool of replacement phones out there.
    gogoplata1980 likes this.
    09-02-2016 09:15 AM
    I understand what you said, but I'm talking about getting a phone in the mean time. At least for the next "coming weeks"
    Do you not have a back up? Sometimes you can find an inexpensive prepaid one that will get you through.
    09-02-2016 09:15 AM
1,397 ... 3738394041 ...