09-02-2016 04:36 PM
1,397 ... 3839404142 ...
tools
    What is going to happen with the returned devices? Recycle or refurbish? I am highly suspicious that they are going to sell the returned devices as brand-new ones
    They can't sell them as new.
    09-02-2016 09:15 AM
    Aug 30th was my last return date. Nice timing Samsung.
    I got mine on the 23rd so I can still return. Nothing is wrong with my device as of now but I need peace of mind especially with a home, wife and 3 kids. So I would be more safe than sorry and send back. But right now I'm debating of just returning altogether, rocking a nexus 6p for a while until the dust settles. Hmmmmmmm
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    09-02-2016 09:16 AM
    I just use the brick and cable, or adapter that came with the phone... if it blows up, so be it... it's under warranty for these things. If it burns down my house, well, Samsung will have to pony up
    Not sure if you are kidding or not, but now that the official recall is in order and you knowingly used a recalled device I wonder if you could actually do anything about it. I wonder what an insurance company would say if you used a recalled device for fire hazard, and you ignored the warning, etc. They might have to prove that you knew, etc but it might not be so cut and dry of a legal case if you ignored the recall and they could prove that you reasonably should have known about the recall (ie. your carrier sent you a text/email, warning on your bill, etc).
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    09-02-2016 09:17 AM
    Not sure if you are kidding or not, but now that the official recall is in order and you knowingly used a recalled device I wonder if you could actually do anything about it. I wonder what an insurance company would say if you used a recalled device for fire hazard, and you ignored the warning, etc. They might have to prove that you knew, etc but it might not be so cut and dry of a legal case if you ignored the recall and they could prove that you reasonably should have known about the recall (ie. your carrier sent you a text/email, warning on your bill, etc).
    That's not how it legally works for recall liability. There must be direct and documented communication to each customer, by Samsung or through agreed proxy of the retail seller/carrier.

Samsung is all in until resolved. What Samsung is doing now is showing due diligence in case of future law suits and to mitigate consumer bad will.
    Bosbouer likes this.
    09-02-2016 09:23 AM
    Do you not have a back up? Sometimes you can find an inexpensive prepaid one that will get you through.
    I do. Currently using it. But it overheats and is basically on its dying throes.
    Has anyone heard about the note 7 recall? What are we suppose to do?
    There is a thread in the Note 7 forum. We also have a sticky thread in that same forum with info.
    read the forums, it's all over the place!
    That is a useless answer.
    09-02-2016 09:25 AM
    That is a useless answer.
    I know, because it's all over the forums, no point in making a new thread
    tinybfk likes this.
    09-02-2016 09:27 AM
    I hear we landed on the moon too, strange days indeed...most peculiar momma...
    09-02-2016 09:27 AM
    I know, because it's all over the forums, no point in making a new thread
    I didn't get that he wanted a whole new thread. A link to the correct answer would have been more helpful. Or if you didn't feel like doing that just not answering him.

AT&T hasn't mentioned how they're going to conduct the recall. For that matter I don't think any of the carriers have. I know the T-Mobile has said that they're committed to doing it. But no details
    Snappy Phoenix likes this.
    09-02-2016 09:30 AM
    Has anyone heard about the note 7 recall? What are we suppose to do?
    Who is your carrier?
    09-02-2016 09:33 AM
    This is the first phone I've had in years without a removable battery.
    You're right. I'm sure it would be less of a headache for Samsung in this situation if they could just issue new batteries.
    While I haven't personally missed having a removable battery, I'm sure there are times I will. All day sports events will probably make me miss it.
    I didn't get that he wanted a whole new thread. A link to the correct answer would have been more helpful. Or if you didn't feel like doing that just not answering him.

AT&T hasn't mentioned how they're going to conduct the recall. For that matter I don't think any of the carriers have. I know the T-Mobile has said that they're committed to doing it. But no details
    Well no replacement for Note 7 devices purchased from Dubai http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post5386895
    09-02-2016 09:34 AM
    Well no replacement for Note 7 devices purchased from Dubai http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post5386895
    It sounds like that you might be the lucky ones. If these aren't the same batteries Samsung was using. We'll have to wait and see. Samsung said "Global Recall"

Personally I think the announcement should have waited until the solution was ready.
    09-02-2016 09:37 AM
    That's not how it legally works for recall liability. There must be direct and documented communication to each customer, by Samsung or through agreed proxy of the retail seller/carrier.

Samsung is all in until resolved.
    For sure. That's why I mentioned that a text message from your carrier or a note or line on a monthly invoice would be considered as good enough, or even an automated phone call with a voicemail left. No form of communication is 100% fool-proof, and if all reasonable steps are taken by Samsung and carriers I would think that would make a lawsuit difficult. You can't simply ignore all forms of communication on this and simply say 'I didn't get the text, call, etc' if your carrier proves you did.

Heck, Samsung could even issue an OTA that has a software check of all known serial numbers of affected devices and then gives you a notification to contact your carrier for recall...if you are rooted and have disabled OTA, I can't see you saying that Samsung is still at fault.

I'm not a lawyer, just a keyboard jockey and we are all from different legal jurisdictions so its no point arguing about it I suppose, but here in Canada the manuf and carrier would most certainly have a good defence if they made a reasonable effort to contact you and you ignored it and kept using the device.

It is silly for people to risk their safety anyways and simply say 'I'll sue' if something happens..you or someone you know could be maimed or even killed, and a lawsuit will be of little value in those cases. Samsung has decided that this issue is worth all the money, bad pr, and inconvenience of their customers to do the recall, when they could have easily blamed poor accessories, etc...even if its statistically unlikely your device will catch fire, the statistics are higher than they should be and you are putting yourself and others around you at a higher risk than they should, all because you don't want to be without a phone for a short bit, etc.

Heck, if I were on a plane, in a class, etc. with you and your phone caught fire due to a known defect that you ignored, I dare say you might have some trouble coming your way if it became known in a courtroom that you ignored a recall knowingly (or went out of your way to try to be ignorant of the issue).
    Bosbouer likes this.
    09-02-2016 09:38 AM
    If everyonea phone is going to be replaced now is the chance for Samsung to really impress us. The phone comes back with a new glass, and a 4000 battery and nouget software at least an improved glass
    Nevah gonna happen.
    09-02-2016 09:44 AM
    So far only 35 have been sent in to check and only 24 were found to have battery issues put of 1 million. Not really major.
    Well that's what they know of.

When airbags fail in 10 cars they recall all of them.

They don't know how many are affected. It only takes one major issue and Samsung is totally screwed.

Imagine if someone is charging this right next to their bed like I do and then suddenly it literally catches fire. You might wake up immediately. You might wake up when your nightstand is on fire.

Hell you might not even wake up. Worst case.

And as executives you always think worse case.

So it's a problem. And for me I don't want that hanging over my head. I have enough things to worry about in my life then a freaking phone catching on fire.

Now all of that said I'd rather keep it and turn it in when they can replace them. When I get a new phone shipped to me Verizon includes a return label if you want to ditch your phone.

So they can do the same thing here. Send me my phone. Then I'll send this one back. And if you don't send it back they charge you for it and makes sure you are aware.

Easy. No refurbished phones that have been opened and new batteries put in. BRAND NEW.
    09-02-2016 09:46 AM
    I do. Currently using it. But it overheats and is basically on its dying throes.
    Seems some carriers here are starting to offer temporary replacements. Certainly within 24 hours over there they will be more organized.
    09-02-2016 09:46 AM
    09-02-2016 09:47 AM
    Samsung said they are replacing all.
    09-02-2016 09:48 AM
    I like having a removable battery. I know many people do not care or prefer the glass enclosed phones. With the recall of the Note 7, which I would have bought already if it had a removable battery, I am wondering if anyone has changed their minds.

I think there are some folks at Samsung that are realizing this issue would be much less damaging and expensive if they could just mail out replacement batteries, versus recalling phones.

So what do people think, will something of this magnitude possible make some manufacturers reconsider the removable battery?
    I agree, I have a Note 4 for 2 years now, I have had to replace the battery twice. I'm very hesitant to buy the Note 7 even if it is the best or one of the best phones on the market right now. I have asked about the battery in in other threads but have been ignored for the most part with no answers to my questions. I still don't know what I'm going to do when the time comes that I can upgrade. The other phone I was considering is apparently really bad phone. I have read that people have had to return the phone several times and still don't have a good phone to use. If I am going to lose my phone for several weeks due to Samsung stupidity to get the battery replaced I don't want the phone.
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    09-02-2016 09:48 AM
    It sounds like that you might be the lucky ones. If these aren't the same batteries Samsung was using. We'll have to wait and see. Samsung said "Global Recall"

Personally I think the announcement should have waited until the solution was ready.
    Samsung announced the solution. They are replacing all Notes worldwide.
    09-02-2016 09:49 AM
    Well that's what they know of.

When airbags fail in 10 cars they recall all of them.

They don't know how many are affected. It only takes one major issue and Samsung is totally screwed.

Imagine if someone is charging this right next to their bed like I do and then suddenly it literally catches fire. You might wake up immediately. You might wake up when your nightstand is on fire.

Hell you might not even wake up. Worst case.

And as executives you always think worse case.

So it's a problem. And for me I don't want that hanging over my head. I have enough things to worry about in my life then a freaking phone catching on fire.

Now all of that said I'd rather keep it and turn it in when they can replace them. When I get a new phone shipped to me Verizon includes a return label if you want to ditch your phone.

So they can do the same thing here. Send me my phone. Then I'll send this one back. And if you don't send it back they charge you for it and makes sure you are aware.

Easy. No refurbished phones that have been opened and new batteries put in. BRAND NEW.
    Oh I wouldn't take a chance.

Just because they haven't exploded yet, doesn't mean there aren't more.

Batteries always have some explosions.

Out of 35 exploded, 24 were defective.

Everyone should exchange their phone, it isn't worth the risk.
    09-02-2016 09:51 AM
    Brand new? Not opened at all? That would mean we get 2 of every Note7 accessories.

Heck, with this fiasco.. I'm just hoping I get a Samsung box instead of the cheap AT&T. But no telling what AT&T does.. I got mine via Best Buy.
    09-02-2016 09:54 AM
1,397 ... 3839404142 ...