09-02-2016 04:36 PM
1,397 ... 4142434445 ...
tools
    Yeah we deploy iPhones at work because they may be "boring" but rock solid and "user friendly."

But yeah doesn't matter what carrier we use, if the phones in warranty you go straight the to apple store and deal with them and not carrier, they troubleshoot and if a problem they can't fix there on the spot, they give you an identical loaner and call you when you're phone is ready. Can even bypass the genius techs and goto their chat support where they run the diagnostics in the settings with you and see the results and then take it to the store for repair/replace. And there is an Apple store everywhere so never far from one. Really can't beat that.

TBF Apple investigates those exploding phones. If there was a reason to recall I'm sure they would. Every one that I've read about had to do with not using certified MFI cables which falls on the user. They've fixed faulty equipment several times over the years. iPhone 5 batteries were replaced. I had a MBP that had a defective logic board, and they replaced it. You can hate Apple, but you can't really hate their customer service. It's the best I've ever experienced from a consumer electronics company.
    09-02-2016 10:49 AM
    I'm curious to know if the battery issue is only occurring for one type of charging (ex: wireless vs wired), and if it's only occurring during charging (and not use). One thing people may want to do for now (if planning to continue using the phone while waiting for recall notification) is charge in extreme power saving mode (which will keep the phone in a cooler state). If anyone hear "facts" (not rumors) about what conditions the explosions have occurred let the rest of us know.
    I would assume it doesn't matter. If the problem is with the battery cell, then an issue could arise eventual. I would think wireless charging would probably hide the issue longer (if it exists in your device) since the voltage output isn't as high. However fast wireless charging does tend to heat up the battery a lot more too. I think it's interesting they didn't say whether it had to do with wired or wireless charging. I think to them it doesn't batter. It's something wrong with the cell so they don't want to tell people "don't plug your device in, just charge wirelessly".
    09-02-2016 10:50 AM
    How about that new LG V20 coming out. That seems similar.

Here is my concern. Sprint, my carrier, is offering a "similar device until the issue is resolved". This seems fair enough, even if it is a pain for the customer. But, what of the accessories we have purchased? A Note 5 or a S7 Edge is too slippery for me to hold safely, and the N7 case I bought isn't going to help. I don't want to buy a case for a temporary phone. What of the extra chargers I bought? The new USB connector isn't going to work with those older phones.

I don't know that there is a good answer Samsung or Sprint could provide to deal with issues like these that are specific to the individual user.
    09-02-2016 10:50 AM
    Meh. The issue is with a specific supplier and to the point Verizon is still selling the Note 7. I would guess they know more than we do. Again, the issues you have been having are (based on all reviews and most posting in forums) is the polar opposite of others. You must have got a bad device or hosed something with an app that does not adhere to Android framework guidelines.
    Except for one caveat. This is the 4th phone... Even the store has stated they have been receiving back phones at a rate that is above average for a new phone. And all for various issues (most of which I had). And on this site alone various users have stated the LAG. And have stated other quirky problems... Though, I will add that the first three phones had NO LAG... But had huge differences in a geek bench scores etc...

And I did master resets with no software installed and still was able to duplicate issues, so it's definitely not that.

People won't admit there are QC issues out there.. and that is fine because you have "one device" that works. Trust me, I envy you for having that device. But not everyone was as lucky...
    09-02-2016 10:51 AM
    Wow... a full refund right before Apple releases the iPhone 7. The stars are just lining up for them like it was all planned or something to go this way.
    Was just thinking the same thing. Merry Xmas Apple from your friendly Samsung battery supplier.
    njshoremom4gurlz likes this.
    09-02-2016 10:53 AM
    Well I'm going to be interviewed by local news here in Providence RI about this entire thing.

Their station asked if anyone had been affected by this on their FB page. I said i had. Next thing I know the lead reporter asked me to call her. Did. Coming here to interview me. Lol.
    09-02-2016 10:53 AM
    They use plastic buttons for the sides and a plastic finger print sensored home button as well as a plastic camera flash cover when should be metal and glass/sapphire. I think for $1000 you should do it all right. But it is what it is and it's close to perfect.
    Uh, I'm pretty sure the volume and power buttons on the Note7 are metal and the camera lens cover is made out of glass. But yeah, the finger scanner is made out of plastic.

If Zack from JerryRigEverything is right.
    donm527 and Gray Area like this.
    09-02-2016 10:54 AM
    Any word from Best Buy yet?
    09-02-2016 10:54 AM
    And who said I praised samsung for this? I said "at least they are doing something about it". Did I say good job for having bad batteries, or kudos for putting people at risk? In the Active forum you can see just how unimpressed I am with Samsung and their QC department.

You're assuming an awful lot from a statement where I simply said its nice that they are acknowledging it and doing something about it.

And yes Apple handled it, after the fact on a per case basis.
    You basically gave them kudos for acknowledging and addressing the issue. That's praise. I didn't say you said they should get an award. What safety issue did apple handle after the fact you are referring to? I'm not talking about an antenna design they gave out bumpers for and told everyone to hole their phone differently. I'm talking about this big safety issue that Apple ignored. At the end of the day all I'm saying is it is possible to acknowledge a company's actions to resolve and issue WITHOUT trying to deflect to other companies using random statements with no merit for situations that's aren't parallel. That goes for Samsung, Apple, LG, HTC, all of them.
    09-02-2016 10:55 AM
    Was just thinking the same thing. Merry Xmas Apple from your friendly Samsung battery supplier.
    Tested and approved by Samsung lol.
    09-02-2016 10:56 AM
    No.
    Not all worldwide units. Many news sites reporting otherwise..here is the message on Samsung Hong Kong site itself if you need it (its in english so its the best one to choose) that hopefully finally convinces you:
    "Regarding enquiry to Samsung Galaxy Note7, all Galaxy Note7 sold from 2 September onwards at our authorized re-sellers or authorized distributors in Hong Kong and Macau are not affected. Consumer enquiry: please call our service hotline at 3698-4698."

Source:
    Samsung Hong Kong | Mobile | TV | Home Appliances
    Yes, all worldwide units. It's a full global recall. I think your misinterpreting what that message means. It says any Note 7's sold from this day forward in only Hong Kong and Macau are not affected. That still means that every N7 sold in Hong and Macau before today's date are being recalled. Samsung was obviously able to get fresh units to those two markets for immediate sale starting today, or in the coming days.

So it is indeed all worldwide units, that are part of the recall
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    09-02-2016 10:56 AM
    No.
    Not all worldwide units. Many news sites reporting otherwise..here is the message on Samsung Hong Kong site itself if you need it (its in english so its the best one to choose) that hopefully finally convinces you:
    "Regarding enquiry to Samsung Galaxy Note7, all Galaxy Note7 sold from 2 September onwards at our authorized re-sellers or authorized distributors in Hong Kong and Macau are not affected. Consumer enquiry: please call our service hotline at 3698-4698."

Source:
    Samsung Hong Kong | Mobile | TV | Home Appliances
    Yes they did. Here is the actual South Korean site and the Samsung site.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/busi...09400320F.html

https://news.samsung.com/global/stat...n-galaxy-note7
    Hoggles and chriskwarren like this.
    09-02-2016 10:58 AM
    Any word from Best Buy yet?
    I'm sure they will defer to the carrier's. But no word yet...
    09-02-2016 10:58 AM
    Its fairly vague on how long we will be stuck with these temporary devices, a matter of days....weeks? Samsung should def do something to keep their customers happy especially with the looming iphone 7 launch.
    09-02-2016 10:59 AM
    So basically does everyone have to send their phones in? What do they use in meantime if they don't have another phone?
    This is probably gonna be called BLOW gate lol
    The only carrier Samsung needs to be worried about dragging feet or making the process a pain is Verizon.
    Ditto!
    Yeah we deploy iPhones at work because they may be "boring" but rock solid and "user friendly."

But yeah doesn't matter what carrier we use, if the phones in warranty you go straight the to apple store and deal with them and not carrier, they troubleshoot and if a problem they can't fix there on the spot, they give you an identical loaner and call you when you're phone is ready. Can even bypass the genius techs and goto their chat support where they run the diagnostics in the settings with you and see the results and then take it to the store for repair/replace. And there is an Apple store everywhere so never far from one. Really can't beat that.
    Well, it isn't quite as nice as that, I don't think. Just this week my friend found the charging cable that came with his iPhone was defective. The nearest Apple store was about 45 minutes away. When he brought it there, they told him to talk to ATT. He told them ATT sent him to the Apple store, they told him he needed an appointment with a "Genius", and that he would need to wait a couple hours before anyone was available. When he did talk to a genius, they asked him to prove that the cable actually came with his new iPhone SE. Eventually they gave him "the benefit of the doubt" and gave him his cable. But really, spending hours to get a replacement that probably costs Apple about a dollar is crazy. Much nicer to drive to a closer carrier store where anyone there can just drop the replacement in your hand in a matter of minutes.
    njshoremom4gurlz likes this.
    09-02-2016 11:00 AM
    A "few" iPhone batteries in the 6 exploded and leaked. Around the same amount of Note 7 batteries. Apple dealt with them on a case by case basis. Samsung just had the same issue,but which appears by early reports to be caused by various chargers including 3rd party, and chose to recall an entire series of phones. I feel that is the right way to handle it and how apple should have handled it. So for the people talking about this being "karma" or "comical" my original post is directed to them and their "praise" for Apple who had the same exact issue and chose to do very little about it until another explosion happened.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    09-02-2016 11:01 AM
    Well I'm going to be interviewed by local news here in Providence RI about this entire thing.

Their station asked if anyone had been affected by this on their FB page. I said i had. Next thing I know the lead reporter asked me to call her. Did. Coming here to interview me. Lol.
    What are you going to say?
    09-02-2016 11:01 AM
    Best buy is not Samsung. Return it within 14 days or follow up with Samsung on how to replace your phone
    09-02-2016 11:02 AM
    What are you going to say?
    That I love this phone. I've not had any issues that are being described. But that for the sake of peace of mind I'll follow what they recommend and return it ASAP for a new one.

No I'm not going to go to Apple.
    Wiley_11, Jona005, frope01 and 2 others like this.
    So basically does everyone have to send their phones in? What do they use in meantime if they don't have another phone?
    That's the million dollar question. Literally in this case

They will have to give out loaner phones to a lot of people. Sprint has already said they'll be doing this. Carriers may also be obligated to refund N7's in full, if people don't want to exchange for a new one, even if past the remorse period. This is a HUGE money loss and total nightmare, not only for Sammy, but also carriers and many smaller retailers. Not fun.
    Ditto!
    Well, Verizon has released a statement to CNET mentioning refunds.

While AT&T is seeking for exchanging.
    09-02-2016 11:05 AM
    How about that new LG V20 coming out. That seems similar.
    I don't think that addresses the issue of purchased accessories. My N7 case isn't going to work with a LG V20. I don't want to buy a case for a phone I'm not going to keep for very long.
    09-02-2016 11:06 AM
    Iphone... but you may never go back to the N7 when you see the "lack of issues" lol...
    I had issues with my iPhone 6s+. It lagged upon rebooting. My screen touches didn't register all the time. And it DID get warm and sometimes hot to the touch.

So please spare me. I left the Note 5 series to the iPhone due to battery. I came back when they improved on that. The iPhone is not without it's own set of issues. Tired of listening to this flawed argument.

Hell just last night my son's iPhone 6 froze him out. Would not let him in and said it was due to iCloud problem.

His entire username and password was gone. When he entered it continues to get error.

I had to do a full FDR to get it back to working.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    09-02-2016 11:06 AM
1,397 ... 4142434445 ...