The Galaxy Note7 has been recalled for battery issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowyugi

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
This is what the head of Samsung said.

"As of Sept. 1, a total of 35 claims were registered with Samsung's service centers at home and abroad. Only 24 units on a scale of 1 million were affected by the battery problem," Koh said in the conference.

Samsung will replace all Galaxy Note 7 handsets sold at home and abroad with new ones, regardless of the date of the purchase, Koh said.

Samsung announces global recall of Galaxy Note 7

I understand what you said, but I'm talking about getting a phone in the mean time. At least for the next "coming weeks"

Artie V

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Removable battery

I like having a removable battery. I know many people do not care or prefer the glass enclosed phones. With the recall of the Note 7, which I would have bought already if it had a removable battery, I am wondering if anyone has changed their minds.

I think there are some folks at Samsung that are realizing this issue would be much less damaging and expensive if they could just mail out replacement batteries, versus recalling phones.

So what do people think, will something of this magnitude possible make some manufacturers reconsider the removable battery?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Actually the Note 7 made in China are not being recalled because they were installed with different batteries than the ones made in Korea which has the problem.
Actually they are being recalled, all Note 7's sold.

I watched the presser this morning, I waited for the South Korean news to translate it and waited for the Samsung statement.

Koh Dong-jin, head of Samsung's handset business division, told reporters that only 24 out of 1 million Galaxy Note 7 smartphones have been found with the faulty battery.

"As of Sept. 1, a total of 35 claims were registered with Samsung's service centers at home and abroad. Only 24 units on a scale of 1 million were affected by the battery problem," Koh said in the conference.

Samsung will replace all Galaxy Note 7 handsets sold at home and abroad with new ones, regardless of the date of the purchase, Koh said.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/business/2016/09/02/22/0502000000AEN20160902009400320F.html

From Samsung:

"To date (as of September 1) there have been 35 cases that have been reported globally and we are currently conducting a thorough inspection with our suppliers to identify possible affected batteries in the market. However, because our customers’ safety is an absolute priority at Samsung, we have stopped sales of the Galaxy Note7.

For customers who already have Galaxy Note7 devices, we will voluntarily replace their current device with a new one over the coming weeks."

https://news.samsung.com/global/statement-on-galaxy-note7

Statement from T-Mobile, who sells Note 7's made in China:

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/samsung-note7-update.htm

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Samsung should sue that battery manufacturer out of existence after this monumental f-up.

I'm sure they have contracts between each that describe how they handle stuff like this. It would be unlikely to sue them since the burden likely falls on both. They would most likely work out something for reduced compensation in the future or Samsung just cut ties altogether.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
For those that think Samsung will lose a huge amount of money on this, don't worry. All the returned phones will be refurbished and sold to insurance companies/programs as replacements for claims. So when you file a claim with Samsung, Squaretrade, your carrier or other insurance provider, one of these refurbished phones will be sent out to you. So for Samsung all is not lost. There will just be a huge pool of replacement phones out there.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Aug 30th was my last return date. Nice timing Samsung.

I got mine on the 23rd so I can still return. Nothing is wrong with my device as of now but I need peace of mind especially with a home, wife and 3 kids. So I would be more safe than sorry and send back. But right now I'm debating of just returning altogether, rocking a nexus 6p for a while until the dust settles. Hmmmmmmm

chriskwarren

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: Is there a chance that my Note 7 will decide to randomly blow up?

I just use the brick and cable, or adapter that came with the phone... if it blows up, so be it... it's under warranty for these things. If it burns down my house, well, Samsung will have to pony up :D

Not sure if you are kidding or not, but now that the official recall is in order and you knowingly used a recalled device I wonder if you could actually do anything about it. I wonder what an insurance company would say if you used a recalled device for fire hazard, and you ignored the warning, etc. They might have to prove that you knew, etc but it might not be so cut and dry of a legal case if you ignored the recall and they could prove that you reasonably should have known about the recall (ie. your carrier sent you a text/email, warning on your bill, etc).

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is there a chance that my Note 7 will decide to randomly blow up?

Not sure if you are kidding or not, but now that the official recall is in order and you knowingly used a recalled device I wonder if you could actually do anything about it. I wonder what an insurance company would say if you used a recalled device for fire hazard, and you ignored the warning, etc. They might have to prove that you knew, etc but it might not be so cut and dry of a legal case if you ignored the recall and they could prove that you reasonably should have known about the recall (ie. your carrier sent you a text/email, warning on your bill, etc).
That's not how it legally works for recall liability. There must be direct and documented communication to each customer, by Samsung or through agreed proxy of the retail seller/carrier.

Samsung is all in until resolved. What Samsung is doing now is showing due diligence in case of future law suits and to mitigate consumer bad will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude