09-02-2016 04:36 PM
1,397 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Thanks. I hope he is right :-)

Local Samsung rep used to work with me at previous company. He probably does not know for sure, given Samsung's being tight with communication like Verizon. They talk though, since this means work and sales impact for them.
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    09-01-2016 08:22 AM
    Has there ever been a recall for a phone in the US?
    09-01-2016 08:23 AM
    I think there has been for batteries, but no phones since all used to be replaceable.
    09-01-2016 08:26 AM
    What a circus. We want glass, no we want aluminium! We want everlasting glass that never breaks, no we prefer aluminium that never scratches.
    I have a headache just listening to all the clamor. Let's all go back to tacky plastic please!

Posted via my awesome N4
    09-01-2016 08:31 AM
    Lol…. Hope Springs Eternal for you guys, right? Hope springs eternal for you guys, right?
    It's doubtful that Samsung's making light of the situation. In the meantime my Note 7 is exceeding expectations and I'm using the factory-issued charger.
    09-01-2016 08:32 AM
    If aluminium everyone would be complaining about the dents and scratches.
    I'd still rather have a dent (and I wouldn't because of how I treat my phones). A dent is a very minor thing. A broken back is ugly as he]] and makes the phone look cruddy. Bye, bye resale...
    09-01-2016 08:33 AM
    Dents or cracks will both affect resale. Use a case.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    09-01-2016 08:34 AM
    Let's all go back to tacky plastic please!
    Works for me. In fact, in my Sprint store they had a plastic back on the N7 so I felt safe ordering, only to find out after it was shipped that Sammy kept the glass back.
    09-01-2016 08:34 AM
    Well, it seems like a recall is likely going to happen.

Samsung considers Galaxy Note 7 recall as battery is found to be faulty
    Nostromo79 likes this.
    09-01-2016 08:37 AM
    Dents or cracks will both affect resale. Use a case.
    I am much more likely to break the back because I drop everything. Since I keep mine well-cased, dents are far less likely. Haven't broken or dented a phone yet. But then again, haven't had one with curved edges (that are open and available to break) and a glass back.

I'm going to need to tape this one to my hand. I have like 12 cases coming to figure out which one offers the best protection and style for me.
    09-01-2016 08:37 AM

Interesting. I was actually expecting this from the first report. Sammy is wisely playing it safe, or has been forced to.
    09-01-2016 08:38 AM
    Interesting. I was actually expecting this from the first report. Sammy is wisely playing it safe, or has been forced to.
    Well, they can't just assume that people are using bad chargers and leave them out there. They have to investigate this properly and find out what's up and deciding on the best course of action.

Yeah, this will hurt Samsung's bottom line and will likely put their recovery plan into a bit of a disarray, but I think that's probably one of their lesser concerns right now.
    09-01-2016 08:44 AM
    All the curved glass supporting cases protect the corners and tops and bottoms. The only way you could break the curved glass part is if the curved part fell right on something pointy or sticking out "just right"- and if the phone falls at just the right angle. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.
    09-01-2016 08:45 AM
    At Tmo Yesterday and they are saying the US version is also having issues Samsung is looking into. Goes with what I was saying prior and flamed for. It's good to see they are checking into whatever the issue could be.
    toenail_flicker and nonie like this.
    09-01-2016 08:46 AM

Looks to be limited to units sold in South Korea only.
    "the battery pack is outsourced to various manufacturing partners. Among them is a firm called Korean ITM Semiconductor, which is said to have produced the faulty packs for the Note 7. "

Article also states that they will continue with launch in China today as expected. I find this news comforting actually. IOW I don't think units sold in the USA are affected.
    09-01-2016 08:48 AM

So it's not even all Exynos then. Just the ones that Korean ITM supplied the battery packs for? The plot thickens...
    09-01-2016 08:48 AM
    Looks to be limited to units sold in South Korea only.
    "the battery pack is outsourced to various manufacturing partners. Among them is a firm called Korean ITM Semiconductor, which is said to have produced the faulty packs for the Note 7. "

Article also states that they will continue with launch in China today as expected. I find this news comforting actually. IOW I don't think units sold in the USA are affected.
    I wouldn't hold your breath.

I'm waiting for official word from Samsung themselves regarding these batteries so I can check to see if mine falls on the list.

Quite a shame, as I'm really liking this phone.
    nonie likes this.
    09-01-2016 08:53 AM
    Questions

Has it happened in the US?

Did phones have cases on when charging?
    09-01-2016 09:07 AM
    I'd still rather have a dent (and I wouldn't because of how I treat my phones). A dent is a very minor thing. A broken back is ugly as he]] and makes the phone look cruddy. Bye, bye resale...
    You've moved from the Note 4 to the Note 7. This is the 2nd, 3rd and 4th glass back for many of us.

Glass backs are not breaking, never has been an issue.
    09-01-2016 09:10 AM
    I think most of this B.S. is manufactured false reporting. Sabotage is real. No sources were quoted.
    09-01-2016 09:12 AM
    So it's not even all Exynos then. Just the ones that Korean ITM supplied the battery packs for? The plot thickens...
    If the initial reports are correct, yes... it has nothing to do with the processor and only to do with which subcontractor built the battery pack. I'm also optimistic that the fact that the recall was very specific, only the South Korea models, leads me to suspect that this particular subcontractor was only used for the domestic Korean models and not the international ones.

Safe to say there might be a opportunity for a battery subcontractor to get a new customer in South Korea at the moment.
    09-01-2016 09:12 AM
    Questions

Has it happened in the US?

Did phones have cases on when charging?
    The 2 publicized reports showed cases on the phone that have pretty much melted.

There were actually 5 reports in total. Not sure about the other 3.
    09-01-2016 09:13 AM
    This is scary.
    Not really. It's called propaganda.
    09-01-2016 09:13 AM
    Doubt we would get loaners....

What's even more infuriating, is that they will open up our phones to replace the battery, jeopardizing the ip68 rating...

Hopefully it doesn't come to that, cuz I won't want the phone back if it does.
    That's what worries me about the ip68 rating.
    09-01-2016 09:14 AM
    My note 7 tells me there water in the USB. Which I haven't put it in water nor have I got it wet. My almost exploded the other morning it was soo hot I couldn't touch it. It took an hour to it to cool down. If they recall I hope they do give us temp phones for now or send us new ones since I sold my old phone
    09-01-2016 09:15 AM
1,397 ... 34567 ...