The Galaxy Note7 has been recalled for battery issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

chriskwarren

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Samsung said they are replacing all.

Samsung announced the solution. They are replacing all Notes worldwide.

Samsung said.. Samsung, they are the authority here. They just announced this a few hours ago.

No.
Not all worldwide units. Many news sites reporting otherwise..here is the message on Samsung Hong Kong site itself if you need it (its in english so its the best one to choose) that hopefully finally convinces you:
"Regarding enquiry to Samsung Galaxy Note7, all Galaxy Note7 sold from 2 September onwards at our authorized re-sellers or authorized distributors in Hong Kong and Macau are not affected. Consumer enquiry: please call our service hotline at 3698-4698."

Source:
Samsung Hong Kong | Mobile | TV | Home Appliances

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Here is my concern. Sprint, my carrier, is offering a "similar device until the issue is resolved". This seems fair enough, even if it is a pain for the customer. But, what of the accessories we have purchased? A Note 5 or a S7 Edge is too slippery for me to hold safely, and the N7 case I bought isn't going to help. I don't want to buy a case for a temporary phone. What of the extra chargers I bought? The new USB connector isn't going to work with those older phones.

I don't know that there is a good answer Samsung or Sprint could provide to deal with issues like these that are specific to the individual user.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Who said I hate apple? I own an iPhone 6 plus, an iPhone 6s and an iPad mini. Ive stated many times I dont hate Apple and I like them. My point is simple. There are dozens of reprted instances of iPhones exploding while in pockets, on nightstands etc and since I started owning iPhones with the 4 and everyone since then, there has yet to be a single acknowledgment that there could be a problem on some devices.

Dozens over what span of time for what device model? That's the point. Just making a random statement about what happened to some devices over a span of several years doesn't mean they didn't handle. Means it was a different situation. In my opinion trying to praise one company while bashing another company based on unfounded statements doesn't make sense. Judge Samsung on their own merit, independently. Because one could say "Apple has never had to issue a full recall. They're QC is so much better than Samsung's". But that's unfair to Samsung because the situation is different and it tries to make Apple look better because something didn't happen to them when it doesn't actually mean their process is better.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm curious to know if the battery issue is only occurring for one type of charging (ex: wireless vs wired), and if it's only occurring during charging (and not use). One thing people may want to do for now (if planning to continue using the phone while waiting for recall notification) is charge in extreme power saving mode (which will keep the phone in a cooler state). If anyone hear "facts" (not rumors) about what conditions the explosions have occurred let the rest of us know.

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious to know if the battery issue is only occurring for one type of charging (ex: wireless vs wired), and if it's only occurring during charging (and not use). One thing people may want to do for now (if planning to continue using the phone while waiting for recall notification) is charge in extreme power saving mode (which will keep the phone in a cooler state). If anyone hear "facts" (not rumors) about what conditions the explosions have occurred let the rest of us know.

My guess is that Samsung lacks a large enough data set to understand the problem at the level of detail.

njshoremom4gurlz

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
This is why honestly I didn't order one yet I wanted reviews-I recall note 5 getting HOT as well as HTC one- too hot for me to feel comfortable with so returned them.
Soon they'll be ok 100%
Maybe it's too much stuff for the battery to handle?

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
And who said I praised samsung for this? I said "at least they are doing something about it". Did I say good job for having bad batteries, or kudos for putting people at risk? In the Active forum you can see just how unimpressed I am with Samsung and their QC department.

You're assuming an awful lot from a statement where I simply said its nice that they are acknowledging it and doing something about it.

And yes Apple handled it, after the fact on a per case basis.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah we deploy iPhones at work because they may be "boring" but rock solid and "user friendly." :p

But yeah doesn't matter what carrier we use, if the phones in warranty you go straight the to apple store and deal with them and not carrier, they troubleshoot and if a problem they can't fix there on the spot, they give you an identical loaner and call you when you're phone is ready. Can even bypass the genius techs and goto their chat support where they run the diagnostics in the settings with you and see the results and then take it to the store for repair/replace. And there is an Apple store everywhere so never far from one. Really can't beat that.

TBF Apple investigates those exploding phones. If there was a reason to recall I'm sure they would. Every one that I've read about had to do with not using certified MFI cables which falls on the user. They've fixed faulty equipment several times over the years. iPhone 5 batteries were replaced. I had a MBP that had a defective logic board, and they replaced it. You can hate Apple, but you can't really hate their customer service. It's the best I've ever experienced from a consumer electronics company.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

I would assume it doesn't matter. If the problem is with the battery cell, then an issue could arise eventual. I would think wireless charging would probably hide the issue longer (if it exists in your device) since the voltage output isn't as high. However fast wireless charging does tend to heat up the battery a lot more too. I think it's interesting they didn't say whether it had to do with wired or wireless charging. I think to them it doesn't batter. It's something wrong with the cell so they don't want to tell people "don't plug your device in, just charge wirelessly".

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
How about that new LG V20 coming out. That seems similar.

Here is my concern. Sprint, my carrier, is offering a "similar device until the issue is resolved". This seems fair enough, even if it is a pain for the customer. But, what of the accessories we have purchased? A Note 5 or a S7 Edge is too slippery for me to hold safely, and the N7 case I bought isn't going to help. I don't want to buy a case for a temporary phone. What of the extra chargers I bought? The new USB connector isn't going to work with those older phones.

I don't know that there is a good answer Samsung or Sprint could provide to deal with issues like these that are specific to the individual user.

anon(10010578)

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Meh. The issue is with a specific supplier and to the point Verizon is still selling the Note 7. I would guess they know more than we do. Again, the issues you have been having are (based on all reviews and most posting in forums) is the polar opposite of others. You must have got a bad device or hosed something with an app that does not adhere to Android framework guidelines.

Except for one caveat. This is the 4th phone... Even the store has stated they have been receiving back phones at a rate that is above average for a new phone. And all for various issues (most of which I had). And on this site alone various users have stated the LAG. And have stated other quirky problems... Though, I will add that the first three phones had NO LAG... But had huge differences in a geek bench scores etc...

And I did master resets with no software installed and still was able to duplicate issues, so it's definitely not that. :)

People won't admit there are QC issues out there.. and that is fine because you have "one device" that works. Trust me, I envy you for having that device. But not everyone was as lucky...

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Wow... a full refund right before Apple releases the iPhone 7. The stars are just lining up for them like it was all planned or something to go this way.

Was just thinking the same thing. Merry Xmas Apple from your friendly Samsung battery supplier. :(

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm going to be interviewed by local news here in Providence RI about this entire thing.

Their station asked if anyone had been affected by this on their FB page. I said i had. Next thing I know the lead reporter asked me to call her. Did. Coming here to interview me. Lol.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
They use plastic buttons for the sides and a plastic finger print sensored home button as well as a plastic camera flash cover when should be metal and glass/sapphire. I think for $1000 you should do it all right. But it is what it is and it's close to perfect.
Uh, I'm pretty sure the volume and power buttons on the Note7 are metal and the camera lens cover is made out of glass. But yeah, the finger scanner is made out of plastic.

If Zack from JerryRigEverything is right.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
And who said I praised samsung for this? I said "at least they are doing something about it". Did I say good job for having bad batteries, or kudos for putting people at risk? In the Active forum you can see just how unimpressed I am with Samsung and their QC department.

You're assuming an awful lot from a statement where I simply said its nice that they are acknowledging it and doing something about it.

And yes Apple handled it, after the fact on a per case basis.

You basically gave them kudos for acknowledging and addressing the issue. That's praise. I didn't say you said they should get an award. What safety issue did apple handle after the fact you are referring to? I'm not talking about an antenna design they gave out bumpers for and told everyone to hole their phone differently. I'm talking about this big safety issue that Apple ignored. At the end of the day all I'm saying is it is possible to acknowledge a company's actions to resolve and issue WITHOUT trying to deflect to other companies using random statements with no merit for situations that's aren't parallel. That goes for Samsung, Apple, LG, HTC, all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance