The Galaxy Note7 has been recalled for battery issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
[WARN]UPDATE: The Samsung Galaxy Note7 has been officially recalled. Users who own a Note7 will be able to exchange their unit for another one.

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsu...xy-note-7-recall-following-battery-explosions
[/WARN]

[NOTE]For a constantly-updated list of official statements from Samsung and carriers, plus what to do if you're affected, please check the following links.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-7/719682-samsung-note-7-recall-statement.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-7/719826-psa-note-7-recall.html[/NOTE]

*ORIGINAL POST*
Well, if you are thinking of buying a Note7, you're gonna have to wait a bit longer.

Samsung has suspended shipments of the Note7 for "quality testing". No word on what this specifically tests, nor how long the delay will be.

Given some reports on some Exynos 8890-powered models falling into an LG G4-esque bootloop and 2 reports on the device exploding while being charged, it looks like Samsung may have something on its hands. Hopefully it's not something too serious for existing users.

On the exploding Notes, though. I still recommend using the original wallwart and cable combo as those work best with the device and details are lax on whether the ones that exploded were using the original cable (though the post on the second one seems to indicate that it's probably on a third-party combo).

Galaxy Note 7 shipments have been delayed for quality testing - SamMobile

Last edited:

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
re: Galaxy Note7 shipments delayed for "quality testing"

Looks like my Note 4 will have to stay in operation a while longer. At least I found decent replacement batteries locally.

neil123456

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site

Ah not good... Will be interesting if any further details are given on specific reasons.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site

I ordered my Note 7 online yesterday at TMobile and it is already at the delivery depot where I'll pickup today. I made a premature judgement and return the first note 7 too early. Ended up ordering a new one.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Apparently the areas being reviewed are the charging power functions and USB-C, but only the 8890 version. If Samsung had safety concerns for the 820 version, they would have stop alerts / recalls sent to retail. Not showing due diligence in these matters is pure lawsuit bait.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

I was hoping the article was going to mention build quality and reports on the glass. But exploding phones is an issue too.
Weird, haven't seem exploding phone posts as much as cracked screen posts on the forum. :confused:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Galaxy Note7 shipments delayed for "quality testing"

I was hoping the article was going to mention build quality and reports on the glass. But exploding phones is an issue too.
Weird, haven't seem exploding phone posts as much as cracked screen posts on the forum. :confused:

Because exploding phones is much more dangerous....even if it is only one or two so far.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I think the cracks are the thin glass design using curves, so not a quality production issue, but a systemic design issue. Surely Samsung tested before blessing the build of material and design. Hubris win here? Style over substance fail?
Nerf cases might be a trend for the Note 7 ;) :) Added: I own a Note 7, so can joke (tragedy is a form of comedy).

geraldem

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site

Right, so they are reviewing the exynos version, not the snapdragon one ATT has (and most US carriers).

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

So all of us early adopters could be screwed? My Note 7 has been flawless so far, knock on wood. :-\

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

Concerning but I really like this phone though... design, features, etc.

If I do accept the risk... I've always loved and have faith in the Speck Crystal Candy Shell cases... always makes any phone I paired it with feel like a solid brick with a little more thickness than something like a spigen clear. I'd have to pair a Note 7 with one of those.

I'd buy some. xD

Hoggles

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

Hopefully this is just an issue with the Exynos version. Though it's bummer for those owners.

I wish you guys well. I sent back my Note 7 a few days ago, under buyers remorse. Went back to my Note 5. I just couldn't do the narrowness of the screen with the edge display.

Good luck everyone!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Have there been other reports of Note 7's blowing up while charging or just that one guy?
Both reports of explosions happened during charging.

In the first one, it looked like it charged on a substandard cable + wallwart combo, but there isn't any info on that. In the second one, judging by the post, it seemed like it was charged on a third-party cable + wallwart combo, though no one is sure. The weird thing is that they never said which chargers were used.

[FONT=&quot]"You should use its original charger just in case and leave the phone far away from where you are while charging."

[/FONT]
http://www.sammobile.com/2016/08/31/another-galaxy-note-7-explodes-while-charging/

Erick47

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site

I remember the first report was in China and it was a third party micro usb cable using Samsung's adapter to usb-c, but I haven't seen the second report. But I believe China had the snapdragon version too. Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaeros85