The Galaxy Note7 has been recalled for battery issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
re: Galaxy Note7 shipments delayed for "quality testing"

I just read a report of someone using an S6 here in Colorado where it overheated and started smoking in the students pocket while in class.

I fully expected to read that it was a Note 7 after hearing about this.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

I've had problems with the non OEM charging blocks with my other Notes, they stated 'original OEM' but those charging blocks got ridiculously hot. I'm using my Note 5 block upstairs in the bedroom and it's been fine. I am using a 6 foot generic micro USB cord with the Samsung usb C adapter with no issues. I don't leave the phone plugged in for hours and I close all apps before charging. As soon as it is full, I unplug it.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

While I'm sure not everyone is having these problems, it does seem there are always more problems at first release of a new phone. That's why I like to wait until it's been out for a few months. The bugs get worked out...

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

With all the problems,
I have waited for a year on this phone.
No way am I gonna get rid of it.
I like the heck out of my Note 7.

Go try to buy one.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

And last year we had the Spen issue too being inserted in backwards and Samsung fixed it in later models of the Note 5. Then the S5 I remember had water resistant issues. It seems a lot of phones the early production runs have some bugs in them.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

It sucks for the 1 or 2 folks that had this issue, but I would say this. If the culprit is a bad charger or bad cable - not OEM - then this guy could have plugged anything into the other end of it and had the same result, not only a Note 7.

Obviously, we don't know what happened yet. But I would bet it is just that, sub-standard charger or cable. Good on Samsung for checking on this, even if it is just out an an abundance of caution.

That said, we really don't have much info on cause at all, so it seems silly to talk about "production issues" or "quality control" at this point. With (assuming) millions of devices sold already, if it were really a widespread issue using OEM charging equipment, there would be many many more reports of this.

TL;DR : It's probably best if we just wait until we know more before assuming anything. It's possible that the halt is actually due to this instead...

rxghost115

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Is there a chance that my Note 7 will decide to randomly blow up?

Scary **** honestly. I'm using the ATT version and my phone gets pretty warm when charging. I'm obviously using the standard cables. Should I be able to return it no questions asked if this issue is still a question mark to samsung?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is there a chance that my Note 7 will decide to randomly blow up?

Unless they release a formal statement, I wouldn't worry. And warming up while charging is pretty normal, especially if you're doing fast charging. Like the reports say, most likely the affected units were using a 3rd party USB-C cable/adapter, and as we've seen with our own AC Bloggers, that can lead to pretty nasty results.

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site

Scary **** honestly. I'm using the ATT version and my phone gets pretty warm when charging. I'm obviously using the standard cables. Should I be able to return it no questions asked if this issue is still a question mark to samsung?
Fast charging heats up the phone more then normal, even says so in the settings... You can turn fast charge off if your worried about the Temp...
49f82693c87e420dc7c909325ace166f.jpg

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Is there that much of a variance in USB that their is no one standard for cables and power bricks? Seems to me manufacturers should have held off if there were going to be this many potential issues.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Is there that much of a variance in USB that their is no one standard for cables and power bricks? Seems to me manufacturers should have held off if there were going to be this many potential issues.
The issue is third party cables and chargers... The ones following spec are ok

dobo84

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

This is nothing new, iPhones and other manufacturers have all had issues like this... nbd Samsung is at least being proactive

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I turn fast charge off. Non replaceable battery, so minimizing the risk of impacting battery capacitance over time. Heat does not do a battery good. During use or charge. I use my experience working at Exide Battery in quality and production as reference for this decision.

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

I just use the brick and cable, or adapter that came with the phone... if it blows up, so be it... it's under warranty for these things. If it burns down my house, well, Samsung will have to pony up :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1