The Galaxy Note7 has been recalled for battery issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
re: Galaxy Note7 shipments delayed for "quality testing"

So it's not even all Exynos then. Just the ones that Korean ITM supplied the battery packs for? The plot thickens...

If the initial reports are correct, yes... it has nothing to do with the processor and only to do with which subcontractor built the battery pack. I'm also optimistic that the fact that the recall was very specific, only the South Korea models, leads me to suspect that this particular subcontractor was only used for the domestic Korean models and not the international ones.

Safe to say there might be a opportunity for a battery subcontractor to get a new customer in South Korea at the moment.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Questions

Has it happened in the US?

Did phones have cases on when charging?
The 2 publicized reports showed cases on the phone that have pretty much melted.

There were actually 5 reports in total. Not sure about the other 3.

catloverplayer

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
Re: What happens if the Note 7 is recalled?

Doubt we would get loaners....

What's even more infuriating, is that they will open up our phones to replace the battery, jeopardizing the ip68 rating...

Hopefully it doesn't come to that, cuz I won't want the phone back if it does.

That's what worries me about the ip68 rating.

Cliff W

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site

My note 7 tells me there water in the USB. Which I haven't put it in water nor have I got it wet. My almost exploded the other morning it was soo hot I couldn't touch it. It took an hour to it to cool down. If they recall I hope they do give us temp phones for now or send us new ones since I sold my old phone

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

I feel bad for Samsung when they are finally going strong with sales. Hopefully there won't be a recall outside of Korea.

Don't feel bad for Samsung. Feel bad for the customers. Samsung is a multi-billion dollar company that didn't do enough QC on one of their top products using new tech. Just like I don't feel bad for Apple for any issues they had previously. They all deserve it of they don't test properly.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

My note 7 tells me there water in the USB. Which I haven't put it in water nor have I got it wet. My almost exploded the other morning it was soo hot I couldn't touch it. It took an hour to it to cool down. If they recall I hope they do give us temp phones for now or send us new ones since I sold my old phone
Have you turned off fast charging and are you using good cables?

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site

My first one didn't explode, but definitely had battery problems.My phone would plunge from 40%-0% instantly. I exchanged it a few days ago, so far so good. Wouldn't surprise me that Samsung halts delivery of phones in the states as well. Currently there are none available at any best buys within 250 miles of me. I got lucky I received a replacement (silver). Hopefully they have black back in stock before my 14 days.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Sure, it's called investors who sweat at the slightest rumor.
Well, sure, but don't be overly surprised if Samsung does indeed announce a recall of Note7s with battery packs made by a specific South Korean-supplier in the next couple of days.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Where have you seen or heard that? I have only seen sketchy reports with little official information on the 8890 vs N.America version.

The reports are saying the only affected ones as of now are some of the ones in the Korean market which is the 8890 variant. So it'll be interesting to see if the snapdragon version is impacted.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

If the initial reports are correct, yes... it has nothing to do with the processor and only to do with which subcontractor built the battery pack. I'm also optimistic that the fact that the recall was very specific, only the South Korea models, leads me to suspect that this particular subcontractor was only used for the domestic Korean models and not the international ones.

Safe to say there might be a opportunity for a battery subcontractor to get a new customer in South Korea at the moment.

I wonder what will happen to those phones that would be covered in a recall if it happens, but bought unlocked through Amazon or another retailer unlocked. As those don't come with warranties, I would assume they wouldn't be covered. There's probably not that many in the wild, but still interesting.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

Well, sure, but don't be overly surprised if Samsung does indeed announce a recall of Note7s with battery packs made by a specific South Korean-supplier in the next couple of days.

You've got one of the Exynos, correct? Is there any way for you to know if yours is one of the Korean versions?

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

Good question. I think a recall is a recall, under warranty or not. If you have one of the phones that's recalled it will be honored, I suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.