The Galaxy Note7 has been recalled for battery issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: What happens if the Note 7 is recalled?

Lol Samsung cant even tell Verizon no to installing bloat to the phone or allowing the maintenance menu you to be stripped. Verizon will make Samsung pay for this one
Samsung is the manufacturer, they will handle if there is a recall. They will tell carriers how it will be handled. If there is a lawsuit, Verizon won't be sued, it will be Samsung.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Lol Samsung cant even tell Verizon no to installing bloat to the phone or allowing the maintenance menu you to be stripped. Verizon will make Samsung pay for this one

I've been involved int these in other industries. Samsung and its partners (Verizon etc.) will have a lot to discuss. Together they will need to manage customer loyalty and their brands. Both rely on each other. Carriers have the advantage of switching users to other phones very easy, especially if they can say they are exploding, so you can bet Samsung will listen intently to the large carriers.

It is never easy to know what is going on in the decision-making suite, but based on the news report, they are at least considering a full recall. For those not familiar, Johnson & Johnson sent the bar for crisis management back in 1982 with Tylenol. Here is a brief history lesson

Tylenol Poison Spree 1982 Becomes Crisis Management Case Study.

That case study is taught in damn near every business school today.

How Samnsung will handle this is anybody's guess right now. They have a full range of options, that is directly dictated by how contained they believe the issue is, AND how large a statement they want to make to defend the brand. Everything I see is very positive. They are have been incredibly forthcoming and transparent todate, and are promising more of the same moving forward. Hopefully they understand it is in their best interest to continue this way.

dobo84

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

I've been involved int these in other industries. Samsung and its partners (Verizon etc.) will have a lot to discuss. Together they will need to manage customer loyalty and their brands. Both rely on each other. Carriers have the advantage of switching users to other phones very easy, especially if they can say they are exploding, so you can bet Samsung will listen intently to the large carriers.

It is never easy to know what is going on in the decision-making suite, but based on the news report, they are at least considering a full recall. For those not familiar, Johnson & Johnson sent the bar for crisis management back in 1982 with Tylenol. Here is a brief history lesson

How Samnsung will handle this is anybody's guess right now. They have a full range of options, that is directly dictated by how contained they believe the issue is, AND how large a statement they want to make to defend the brand. Everything I see is very positive. They are have been incredibly forthcoming and transparent todate, and are promising more of the same moving forward. Hopefully they understand it is in their best interest to continue this way.

Well lets hope the end result is the us variant is a non issue, I rather enjoy this phone although a mixed bag still solid.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Samsung is the manufacturer, they will handle if there is a recall. They will tell carriers how it will be handled. If there is a lawsuit, Verizon won't be sued, it will be Samsung.

But the phone says Verizon on the back. I would not rule out attorneys trying to pull them into the fray. Add to that the potential that accessories were likely sold that cannot be ruled as causal . . . any litigation will be a mess.

That said, I agree with your premise, Samsung is clearly the most on the hook here. They need to be very convincing & accurate with their explanation of the problem, its size, and how they intend to handle it.

They could even do a mandatory recall for devices they determine are in the production lots that are a known problem, and optional recall for all other devices. This would give people that are wigged out about it a window to return their device if they choose.

Again, it is so early in the game, and we have so little information, it is hard to know exactly what they should or will do.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Well lets hope the end result is the us variant is a non issue, I rather enjoy this phone although a mixed bag still solid.

Agreed. My device is behaving very well. I do not want to go through the hassle of switching out.

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If sealed batteries are a liability for cellphones should Samsung move toward swappable batteries?

If sealed batteries are a liability for cellphones should Samsung move toward swappable batteries? Users could have 100% mobile availability with swappable batteries and use a LifeProof case for water proof requirements.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Re: If sealed batteries are a liability for cellphones should Samsung move toward swappable batterie

This incident doesn't make sealed batteries a liability. Even if it was removable, it the battery is defective it would still be an issue.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

There are 2 meetings going on at Android Central right now. 1 meeting on how to justify not reporting on this and a second meeting on how to spin the Note 7 being recalled as no big deal because omagerd, Samsung is the greatest company in the histories of all histories.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
re: Galaxy Note7 shipments delayed for "quality testing"

This is from Samsung and suggests they know what the issue is and can ID the lot codes for the batteries. Since usually made in batches, the issue would likely be isolated to a specific region.

"Products installed with the problematic battery account for less than 0.1 percent of the entire volume sold. The problem can be simply resolved by changing the battery, but we'll come up with convincing measures for our consumers," said the official.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

"SEOUL, Sept. 1 (Yonhap) -- Samsung Electronics Co. is expected to announce an unprecedented recall of all of its newest Galaxy Note 7 phablets sold at home and abroad in less than a week, a company official said Thursday, after reports that a few of the devices exploded while being charged.

The Samsung official told Yonhap News Agency that the cause of the reported explosions has been traced to the battery of the new phablet.

"The most important thing is the safety of our customers and we don't want to disappoint our loyal customers," said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

He said Samsung is expected to announce the result of its investigation into the cause of the reported explosions, as well as comprehensive countermeasures either this weekend or early next week at the latest.

"Products installed with the problematic battery account for less than 0.1 percent of the entire volume sold. The problem can be simply resolved by changing the battery, but we'll come up with convincing measures for our consumers," said the official.

The official said the company's announcement of the recall is unlikely on Friday because Samsung is in talks with Verizon of the U.S. and other business partners on the issue. "Global discussions are under way about matters such as how to deal with products delivered to dealers. Results of the investigation and relevant countermeasures will be made public this weekend or early next week at the latest."

His remarks suggested that Samsung may recall all of the Galaxy Note 7 phablets sold at home and abroad.

"We don't have any intention to delay (the announcement) or hide (the result of investigation). The decision will be made in consideration of maximum consumer benefit."

Industry watchers say Samsung will be able to take the likely recall as an opportunity to upgrade its credibility, as long as it takes prompt and convincing measures.

Samsung began selling the Galaxy Note 7 on Aug. 19 in 10 countries worldwide."

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: If sealed batteries are a liability for cellphones should Samsung move toward swappable batterie

This incident doesn't make sealed batteries a liability. Even if it was removable, it the battery is defective it would still be an issue.
This.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Samsung states the issue is a tenth of a percent of total phones sold and is the battery. This means no mass global recall, since batteries are installed in batches on an assembly line.

dobo84

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

If the handle the issue appropriately that will speak volumes, I do like the transparency even if it's for publicity.... who ever said bad publicity is better than none was right lol.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is there a chance that my Note 7 will decide to randomly blow up?

These type of batteries are usually not ticking time bombs. If the issue was with your battery, you would almost certainly know real fast after just a charge or two and the battery would be hot and not maintain a charge very well (if survived a full charge at all). Samsung already stated the issue is one tenth a percent of units sold. If they are correct, it is probably the 8890 variant in the Asian market as they have stated.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

To issue a recall involves a lot. I have no doubt Samsung will handle this the right way, they have a reputation they have to maintain.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

But the phone says Verizon on the back. I would not rule out attorneys trying to pull them into the fray. Add to that the potential that accessories were likely sold that cannot be ruled as causal . . . any litigation will be a mess.

That said, I agree with your premise, Samsung is clearly the most on the hook here. They need to be very convincing & accurate with their explanation of the problem, its size, and how they intend to handle it.

They could even do a mandatory recall for devices they determine are in the production lots that are a known problem, and optional recall for all other devices. This would give people that are wigged out about it a window to return their device if they choose.

Again, it is so early in the game, and we have so little information, it is hard to know exactly what they should or will do.
Yeah but my car also has a car dealership name on it. They are never on the hook.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

There are 2 meetings going on at Android Central right now. 1 meeting on how to justify not reporting on this and a second meeting on how to spin the Note 7 being recalled as no big deal because omagerd, Samsung is the greatest company in the histories of all histories.
The Note hasn't been recalled yet and Android Central is into facts, not click-bait hysteria.

badgerfrisch

May 15, 2011
Visit site

They moved away from swappable batteries. They aren't going back. Getting the right cords, plugs, etc is more the key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000