The Galaxy Note7 has been recalled for battery issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: What happens if the Note 7 is recalled?

Looks like it may possibly be a full global recall, we have never seen anything like that in this space before, so will be fascinating to watch. Although kinda sucks as my Note 7 performs great, don't want to have to send it back.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Looks like it may possibly be a full global recall, we have never seen anything like that in this space before, so will be fascinating to watch. Although kinda sucks as my Note 7 performs great, don't want to have to send it back.
Last I read it will likely be early next week before Samsung makes a statement, but like anything, that could change.

We just have to wait on a statement from Samsung.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

If the handle the issue appropriately that will speak volumes, I do like the transparency even if it's for publicity.... who ever said bad publicity is better than none was right lol.

Their response is more important than the original issue. If they stay on top of things, fix the problem as quickly as they can with as little disruption to consumers, and throw in some 'make nice' stuff... they'll come out of this just fine.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

The second I read the reports "I didn't start the fire" started playing in my head.

catloverplayer

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
re: Galaxy Note7 shipments delayed for "quality testing"

I don't think anyone has mentioned the car charger that charges the Note 7. I got one from Verizon and it's a fast charger USC.

So if the battery is bad it may explode while you charge it in your car as well.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

To issue a recall involves a lot. I have no doubt Samsung will handle this the right way, they have a reputation they have to maintain.

Even contemplating one is a headache that you can only understand if you have done it. The number of moving parts and decisions can be mind boggling.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Even contemplating one is a headache that you can only understand if you have done it. The number of moving parts and decisions can be mind boggling.
Oh yes, especially if you are talking worldwide on top of that. Anything outside of South Korea you are then talking more than one government involved.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

This recall is it going to be for our American models or just the ones in Korea and certain countries with that battery?

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

They won't recall the Note 7. What is there 2 whole Note 7's in the world that have blown up from using a 59 cent charger.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Yeah but my car also has a car dealership name on it. They are never on the hook.

That is a good analogy.

My point was more that lawyers will sue anybody in the chain, starting with the deepest pockets. The company in the worst spot is the battery supplier. This could easily put them out of business, depending on their size and culpibility.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

Yeah but my car also has a car dealership name on it. They are never on the hook.
Wow, I take that off as soon as I get it home. Lol.

Reading some comments about "renting" phones leaves me wondering how many don't have a backup device. Would that many actually not have one?

The Samsung spokesman quoted above somewhere and I read from some tech sites is saying: "recall would involve SK and (abroad)". So the U.S. is "abroad" I believe. Maybe they don't know yet for sure how many devices may have gotten out of the Asian market and could be anywhere.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

This recall is it going to be for our American models or just the ones in Korea and certain countries with that battery?

No one knows yet. Nothing official has been announced.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

They won't recall the Note 7. What is there 2 whole Note 7's in the world that have blown up from using a 59 cent charger.

I think it is likely there will at least be batches recalled. They are in the middle of a root cause investigation that will shed light on the risks to all devices that have been produced to date. If they can say with a high degree of certainty that a battery out of a plant or out of a lot from a plant is the issue, then the recall can be limited to those affected. As their level of certainty goes down, the size of the recall goes up.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

No one knows yet. Nothing official has been announced.

IF Samsung swaps the phones out will we be able to keep our current ones and then ship the old one back to them when we get the replacement?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: If sealed batteries are a liability for cellphones should Samsung move toward swappable batterie

This incident doesn't make sealed batteries a liability. Even if it was removable, it the battery is defective it would still be an issue.
But it makes it much easier for sending a replacement... Sending a battery vs sending an entire phone... And then they have to deal with taking the old phone back, which now cannot be sold as new.

Of course the downside is people can get generics which might be more prone to failure, but still gives Samsung some bad press.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

IF Samsung swaps the phones out will we be able to keep our current ones and then ship the old one back to them when we get the replacement?
Blues, we don't know anything yet. Samsung will be making an announcement this weekend or first of next week it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci