The Galaxy Note7 has been recalled for battery issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
re: Galaxy Note7 shipments delayed for "quality testing"

But it sounds like it's just certain models with a certain battery, not in all the markets.

So far yes but we still don't know. That is why I am waiting on the official response from Samsung versus assuming or trying to piece this random story with this random one.

If a recall is needed they will say something.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: If sealed batteries are a liability for cellphones should Samsung move toward swappable batterie

If sealed batteries are a liability for cellphones should Samsung move toward swappable batteries? Users could have 100% mobile availability with swappable batteries and use a LifeProof case for water proof requirements.
Has lifeproof announced anything for the note 7? I don't see anything in their website and they have never made one for any previous notes

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: What happens if the Note 7 is recalled?

I'm still trying to win the Android Central Note 7 Giveaway...exploding battery or not.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Galaxy Note7 shipments delayed for "quality testing"

But it sounds like it's just certain models with a certain battery, not in all the markets.
We don't know, even the news on South Korea is giving some conflicting info right now.

I know patience isn't your thing 😆 but it is going to required with this. We just have to wait on Samsung.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is there a chance that my Note 7 will decide to randomly blow up?

Two things here...

First, USB-C is a whole different animal than micro USB... We went through this when the 6P/5X was released. Cables and bricks need to be on the up and up.

Second... If you go out and search, you'll find examples of exploding iPhones, HTC 10s, Note 4s, etc. Some are because off cheap cables, others due to some internal defect. It remains to be seen if Samsung issues a recall, or determines that the cause was a poor third party cable or charger.

A single burnt Note 7 will get more attention than 100,000 working ones... Don't panic. ������

Due to the lack of ISO standards followed by a lot of cheap product makers, the device typically controls power input as a gate. That is why some combinations of connectors, cables and power supplies do not work when plugged in, since thresholds are not compliant. It has to be a really screwed up product to fry a device. It is usually a faulty battery that is the culprit. That or a power surge, but that trips before a battery can go boom.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

We don't know, even the news on South Korea is giving some conflicting info right now.

I know patience isn't your thing ������ but it is going to required with this. We just have to wait on Samsung.

Samsung stated one tenth of one percent of batteries affected. How is that conflicting? Seems the only thing conflicting is conjecture in the media and in posts.

Was there another announcement after that?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Samsung stated one tenth of one percent of batteries affected. How is that conflicting? Seems the only thing conflicting is conjecture in the media and in posts.

Was there another announcement after that?
Even in the article they said they were taking with US manufacturers.
b85a27d21c13a513b8a63884ed00a60a.jpg

Daniel Padilla

May 2, 2014
Visit site

Makes sense them talking specifically about Verizon. I have Verizon Note 7 made in Korea.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Seems moot none the less since if a person has a problem with their battery, they would know much sooner than later. That s the beauty of these high capacity small footprint batteries. They usually work right or go wrong almost immediately through going boom, or low capacitance out of box.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Reading some comments about "renting" phones leaves me wondering how many don't have a backup device. Would that many actually not have one?

A lot of people on Samsung phone purchases will take advantage of the trade in credit.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Seems moot none the less since if a person has a problem with their battery, they would know much sooner than later. That s the beauty of these high capacity small footprint batteries. They usually work right or go wrong almost immediately through going boom, or low capacitance out of box.
We won't know anything for sure until Samsung makes their statement soon.

Right now everything is conjecture.

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Samsung phones are manufactured in two places, South Korea and Vietnam. Now it comes down to which would be included, the international version only or all.

My Sprint Note 7 was made in China, so they make them in at least three countries.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Re: If sealed batteries are a liability for cellphones should Samsung move toward swappable batterie

But it makes it much easier for sending a replacement... Sending a battery vs sending an entire phone... And then they have to deal with taking the old phone back, which now cannot be sold as new.

Of course the downside is people can get generics which might be more prone to failure, but still gives Samsung some bad press.

If the batteries are in fact exploding in the phones, sending in the battery alone isn't going to fix the phone, you will still need the phone fixed.

Attachments

• 2Q.jpg
    2Q.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 145

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

If they recall the phones we will receive a New phone or have to send ours in for repair?
I'm not into repair so that option would not make me a happy camper.

I purchased a New phone not a refurbished nightmare. :-\

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37