The Galaxy Note7 has been recalled for battery issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I hope after collecting all the phones and before restarting the production they reboot and we get surpised with 821 processor upgrades, 6gb ram and STRONGER GLASS!!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Will you stick with the Note 7 if there is a recall or get different phone?

0.1% of all total Note 7 made to date.... and they are replacing ALL handsets??!!

Yeah... something more here :confused:

Telling me they can't find the batteries in question by build lots??
Well, they probably could, but it's a tedious task and it doesn't guarantee that the others aren't faultless.

Samsung's playing it really safe by recalling every Note7 out there. It will hurt their earnings and profits for sure, but their reputation might not suffer that much dings as a result.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

0.1% of all total Note 7 made to date.... and they are replacing ALL handsets??!!

Evidently they can't because there was at least one in the US.

They have had 35 sent to service centers all over the world. They identified 24 as battery fault.

Now why would they lie?

Also you realize with a recall that all governments are involved and it is transparent?

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

That's what Iwas thinking. No kidding. What's the point of assigning a serial number.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Should I stop setting up my Note 7 now?

Or can I do a full backup and restore for when my non exploding replacement arrives? Sorry for the noob question. Do you need to sync to a computer or can it be dealt with in the cloud?
You can't do a full backup on the cloud, but I also don't transfer settings when setting up a new phone. I already have all media on the cloud and then just set up as a new device.

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Evidently they can't because there was at least one in the US.

They have had 35 sent to service centers all over the world. They identified 24 as battery fault.

Now why would they lie?

Also you realize with a recall that all governments are involved and it is transparent?

I don't think they are lying, I think it tells me they really don't know what is going on root cause wise (e.g., is it really just the Korean made batteries or a problem with the charging circuit regardless of battery) and are quickly (over?)reacting to the potential liability issue while trying to spiin the PR damage by saying new fixed phones will be available in two weeks (which I find hard to believe they can spin up a new production that quickly). If that is the case, why should we have any confidence they will have the problem figured out to support the new production run in two weeks. Need to have some transparency that Samsung has truly figured out the problem and can support replacement within two weeks vs. two months. If they really know the cause, I would have expected phones with such and such manufacturing code are subject to mandatory safety recall, but any customer who wants a replacement phone is welcome to one. That would tell me Samsung actually has a handle on it.

treedabl

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
At the top of my news panel. Yikes!
5326510ffce6d32e9d1a5ee3af500c23.jpg

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

I don't think they are lying, I think it tells me they really don't know what is going on root cause wise (e.g., is it really just the Korean made batteries or a problem with the charging circuit regardless of battery) and are reacting to the potential reliability issue while trying to spiin the PR damage by saying new fixed phones will be available in two weeks (which I find hard to believe they can spin up a new production that quickly). If that is the case, why should we have any confidence they will have the problem figured out to support the new production run in two weeks. Need to have some transparency that Samsung has truly figured out the problem and can support replacement within two weeks vs. two months.

They were very specific, they said the words "battery cells" but we already knew that yesterday.

Samsung gave 100% transparency. I'm not sure you know how recalls work.

Each country has varying laws concerning recalls and things that must be done.

They can do production quickly. They can make a phone one day and have it to you in the US within a week.

vespesian

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Perhaps it's a case of erring-on-the-side-of-caution x's1000, with Samsung worried that their very reputation is a stake here. I'm worried that they haven't fully figured out what went wrong in the first place...

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Do you think they would replace 1 million phones if they could find the batteries when only 24 have shown to have bad batteries? Then on top of that, halt all new sales and delay all new releases especially the week before Apple releases?

What kind of business sense does that make?

melonzzzzz

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
Made by a contractor but still unbelievable that they did not inventory tracking associated with each battery lot number to S/N. Producing over a million consumer electronic units with no tracking seems a bit far-fetched and I think people are going to start questioning details of this recall/issue.

Apple manages a list of S/N with associated lot numbers of parts and consumers could check if their phone falls under a recall (iSight Camera, iPhone 5 battery, etc) and I definitely would've expected the same from a large company such as Samsung.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
5 devices out of two and a half million have caught on fire. I feel completely safe keeping the one I have. If Samsung makes the process of changing this out for a new note completely without inconvenience on my part, that is, it's as simple as going into T-Mobile and immediately trading one for one, then I will do it. Otherwise, I'm keeping the one I have. Living on the edge I guess.

24 out of 1 million sold.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Made by a contractor but still unbelievable that they did not inventory tracking associated with each battery lot number to S/N. Producing over a million consumer electronic units with no tracking seems a bit reckless.

Apple manages a list of S/N with associated lot numbers of parts and consumers could check if their phone falls under a recall (iSight Camera, iPhone 5 battery, etc) and I definitely would've expected the same from a large company such as Samsung.
It was battery cells made by a contractor.

Are we really complaining that Samsung is giving 1 million free phones?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Maybe the new phones will also have improved glass?

You should contact them. I know most carriers outside the US are having people exchange at the carrier. That is likely to be the same in the US.

I'm sure the carriers will be putting out statements also.

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

They were very specific, they said the words "battery cells" but we already knew that yesterday.

Samsung gave 100% transparency. I'm not sure you know how recalls work.

Each country has varying laws concerning recalls and things that must be done.

They can do production quickly. They can make a phone one day and have it to you in the US within a week.

I think you missed my point completely. The approach smacks of we don't really know what the problem is so we need to get ALL the phones off the street. That removes the immediate liability concern. However, I if they haven't figured out the real problem how long will it really take Samsung to get phones back on the street. Who knows. They certainly will not want to have to chance a 2nd recall. The battery cell story does not add up to they truly have a handle on the problem because they could have phased the recall with priority to the known problem phones and swept up the rest.

vespesian

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Made by a contractor but still unbelievable that they did not inventory tracking associated with each battery lot number to S/N. Producing over a million consumer electronic units with no tracking seems a bit far-fetched and I think people are going to start questioning details of this recall/issue.

Exactly. How do they order from their subcontractors if they don't keep track of lots, p/o's, contract verification...it beggars belief that they wouldn't have batch info at their fingertips.

Status
Not open for further replies.