The Galaxy Note7 has been recalled for battery issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

AxiosENT

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
people are actually upset for samsung fixing an issue?

I cant believe people are upset Samsung is fixing a deadly flaw in its device...
https://news.samsung.com/global/statement-on-galaxy-note7

yes its a small number but the exponential damage it could do in the future not including lawsuits and damages, this is nothing to them and will take it. Samsung took it like a champ and watching out for consumers instead other companies who try to find loopholes to get out of stuff.

gj samsung

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Re: Should I stop setting up my Note 7 now?

You can't do a full backup on the cloud, but I also don't transfer settings when setting up a new phone. I already have all media on the cloud and then just set up as a new device.
I was wondering about this too. I am one of your followers that finally did a FDR due to some issues I was having (mainly ringtone not sticking) and a few other small-ish things that now seem to be resolved. Having said that my battery seems a bit worse for wear than it was. My device is still settling in though.

Anyhoo... Now that I have a "clean" Note 7 from scratch seems like a Smart Switch would work. But I guess you don't agree?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Will you stick with the Note 7 if there is a recall or get different phone?

I agree with you. It usually takes these companies many months to even acknowledge there's a problem. I'm glad that Samsung is taking swift and decisive action. I'm sure it will be somewhat of an inconvenience for all of us, but avoiding the risk is worth it.
I'm sure Samsung will make it worth the while. They have already given discounts to some people and quite a lot of free gifts. They aren't taking this lightly at all. I just never dreamed people would be upset they are getting their phone replaced..

hailsusy90

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: people are actually upset for samsung fixing an issue?

According to this article the ones made in China are not being recalled because they use a different battery supplier

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

Nope. Not upset at them upset that they didn't catch this major issue. You'd think they would do heavy testing under all scenarios.

I'm not upset at inconvenience of having to send my phone back. No way we get replacements for at least 3-4 weeks and now I don't have a replacement.

Glad they are fixing it with full replacement but what a major pain.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

A complete recall is a complete loss for them. A lie in meaning that it's got to be more than 0.1% to do something unprecedented. There is something more... if only batteries they could find and recall the ones in questions. Here is an example of how one company did it...

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...cUvbUpU5386217%26subId2%3Dvbac&token=tOL1_A-4
Well, we're not exactly sure how many phones EXACTLY have that sort of battery.

From the looks of it, though, Samsung is not taking any chances.

Torm558

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site

I'm disappointed I have to give mine back and wait for a new one to come back in after being billed for it. I'm impressed with how fast Samsung got on the issue and I have no regrets with my purchase

But I do hope they compensate in some way as some people such as myself were selling their previous phone to fund this one...

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

No, doesn't do anything for me.

If I were you, I would contact my carrier and inquire how they intend to handle this so you can get the facts.

No one said you had to be without a phone yet.

A hassle to set up?

Recalls happen in the real world. Samsung is jumping on this immediately and going above and beyond and doing everything they can to make it convenient.

I am so angry at Samsung right now for other things and I am extremely impressed with how Samsung is handling this and how quickly they are.

This isn't what you would get from many manufacturers of anything.

Yes. I will contact my carrier. Thanks. But regarding your statement above, that no one said you would be without a phone - getting a new phone whether its a loaner or new Note 7 will obviously not happen instantaneously. At the very least, I will have to go somewhere to pick it up. In the mean time, would you operate a phone that Samsung has said should be recalled due to the possibility of an exploding battery that they have no idea is in what phones (per your logic)? That means for some finite period of time, at least until I can make it to the store AFTER I get home from work I will be without a phone. That is a hassle. Yes recalls happen, doesn't mean I have to be happy about it or am assured that Samsung is handling it in the best way possible, at least until I get some more info from my carrier or the manufacturer. Thanks again.

xxaarraa

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Internet warriors are a tough crowd. A company doesn't stand behind their product? It gets bashed. A company stands behind its product and announces a recall? It gets bashed.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

I don't think you have to send your phone back so soon, but check with your store or carrier to make sure.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Should I stop setting up my Note 7 now?

I was wondering about this too. I am one of your followers that finally did a FDR due to some issues I was having (mainly ringtone not sticking) and a few other small-ish things that now seem to be resolved. Having said that my battery seems a bit worse for wear than it was. My device is still settling in though.

Anyhoo... Now that I have a "clean" Note 7 from scratch seems like a Smart Switch would work. But I guess you don't agree?
No, I wouldn't use Smart Switch for more than pictures and I won't even do that myself.

When my phone comes in, the only thing I will copy are my Nova settings.

My Note 5 has the media server bug and that happened after I used Smart Switch for the first time. I'm waiting on a replacement for my Note 5 now.

Now with everything clean, if you want to play around with Smart Switch and try it, nothing to lose since your Note 7 will be replaced soon.

So there is that side of it..

AxiosENT

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site

ya today is barely the first day and they will be reaching out to carriers with proper info needed for their customers. they still gotta finalize proper units and ship those out to carriers or whatever option they choose to replace old units

vespesian

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site

Not "upset" - but, rather, skeptical as to whether or not they've really figured out what's wrong with these phones.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Yes. I will contact my carrier. Thanks. But regarding your statement above, that no one said you would be without a phone - getting a new phone whether its a loaner or new Note 7 will obviously not happen instantaneously. At the very least, I will have to go somewhere to pick it up. In the mean time, would you operate a phone that Samsung has said should be recalled due to the possibility of an exploding battery that they have no idea is in what phones (per your logic)? That means for some finite period of time, at least until I can make it to the store AFTER I get home from work I will be without a phone. That is a hassle. Yes recalls happen, doesn't mean I have to be happy about it or am assured that Samsung is handling it in the best way possible, at least until I get some more info from my carrier or the manufacturer. Thanks again.
We don't know yet if there will be loaners offered or what. Like I said, your carrier should have all the info.

We have posted the info that is out right now. US carriers haven't made a statement yet.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

I'm sure everyone's reason is different. For me, I bought my note from a third party, but it is a T-Mobile unit. But since I didn't actually buy it from the T-Mobile store, I'm not entirely positive that they will replace mine, which would probably mean I have to mail mine into Samsung and wait 2 or 3 weeks or a month to get another one in return. For me, that's not a great thing just because I'm getting a new phone back. If that's the process I will be required to endure, then I will keep the phone I have and take my one in a million chance. Because that is the odds. If there are 25 defective devices out of 2.5 million sold, there is a one in 1 million chance that I have one of them. There are lotteries with better odds.
Samsung hasn't said people need to mail them in.

If I were you, I would contact Samsung Plus, tell them you bought it from an individual and ask them what you need to do.

First you might want to contact TMO, they might actually handle the exchange for you since it is a TMO phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon