The Galaxy Note7 has been recalled for battery issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Kelly I don't think people are disagreeing with you about what samsung is stating about replacing all the phones. It's just that they're saying they read that only the phones that had batteries made in Korea were defected. So if they had a phone made in China, they feel better about keeping their phones and not swapping them out for another.

YES!!! MY PHONE IS MADE IN CHINA!!! First time in glad I bought something that was made in China.

So the China made phones are ok? Oh thank goodness! I really don't want to swap out my phone if it a not necessary.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, I guess all the folks that hate the lag, poor battery life and crack/scratches might have an out ;)

I am not having these issues so far, but some are reporting it.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Maybe the new phones will also have improved glass?

That would be the ideal thing to do. To send the replacements to stores and let people go and switch them in store. Instead of us having to be without a phone being that it wasn't our fault this happened.
I know they have said on some countries they are doing that, but haven't said here what they will do. I'm expecting the carriers to come out with detailed statements.

We have a sticky thread about it and will update it as statements come in.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately I don't have one... the screen issue was keeping me from doing so. Please do so and let me know :)

I did tell my co worker that had a crack his from a lame drop off his desk that he's getting a replacement. Maybe I'll test his back glass. I have no problem in testing for everyone.

You first, let me know how it goes.

DanRomania

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
My very big question is what are they going to do with 1 mil. + devices that they are going to take back? I personally pre-ordered a Note 7 here in Romania and it was officialy announced that they are going to start delivering again on 16th september as the phone is no loger in any stock. I personally do not want a refurbished Note 7 as a new one. Any thoughts?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Changing glass and validating the manufacturing process just to make a revision would be months.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

That would be the ideal thing to do. To send the replacements to stores and let people go and switch them in store. Instead of us having to be without a phone being that it wasn't our fault this happened.

As I have mentioned in other threads. I have been part of teams doing a recall in another industry. You would not believe the team of folks they have in conference rooms working on this problem around the clock. You can bet the highest levels of senoir management are deeply involved. They are thinking through every contingency and weighing pros and cons. Many of the things they are thinking through, we cannot even begin to bring into our discussion because there is too much we don't know. I remember watching news coverage of one of ours, and everybody saying what we should do. Some of the stuff was impossible, some of it sounded good, but would just be ineffective (of course some were pretty close to what we did too). Outsiders just don't have the facts they need to make a good decisioin.

Again, my guess, because of the way they are handling this early, is they are on a path to make their customers happy. They won't hit 100%, people are going to be pissed, but they seem to be giving their best effort. I expect the return process to be as customer friendly as they are able to make it. Corporations balance shareholder needs, employee needs, and customer needs everyday. The will error on the side of the customer through this process, which in the long run will benefit the shareholders that will squeal over the choices being made.

Disclaimer: all an educated guess

bushy73

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
Wow. So many replies to this thread. FolloWing keenly as I've already had my phone replaced once. Loving the phone, really don't want to start again if recalled.

stonefox801

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Keep in mind for those effected by the recall who do not do the recall you are voiding your warranty.

Also if you send them a broken screen they will not just fix it for free. You will be paying the cost for a replacement screen.

Big question here is why. Is the issue with the battery or the charging circuit. Did they cute more corners and use a cheap li-on/li-po charging ic that can not accurately monitor the battery voltage. These battery's just do not randomly blow if they are charged and maintained right. There is a serious of events that lead upto it.

For those who do not do the recall good luck. As we do not know why they do it and these battery even when taken off the charger can still blow. After it starts you can pull it off and it still will not stop the reaction so it could happen when you are sleeping. You really do not want to mess around with devices that store that much energy.

DanRomania

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Is there a chance we will receive a refurbished Note 7 as a brand new one?

Taking into consideration Samsung officialy just took the responsability to replace 1+ mil. Note 7 devices, will there be the chance that the ones who are still waiting the device, like myself, receive refurbished devices that are sold just like brand new?

Last edited:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Wow. So many replies to this thread. FolloWing keenly as I've already had my phone replaced once. Loving the phone, really don't want to start again if recalled.

This. It took me a full day setting everything up, app installs, etc. The only thing I back up on the device is contacts and message history. Smart Switch is usually Dumb Switch and causes performance issues for apps. Even with same device.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Well do a cloud backup with Samsung backup. When you get the new phone you can restore it all in one step,

This. It took me a full day setting everything up, app installs, etc. The only thing I back up on the device is contacts and message history. Smart Switch is usually Dumb Switch and causes performance issues for apps. Even with same device.

spyro1952

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
This really sucks for me as my first note from hard core iPhone user. Plus I'm leaving for Europe for a month at the end of sept and need to take a phone - the good thing is I still have my iPhone. May just try to return Note 7 and buy new iPhone.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind for those effected by the recall who do not do the recall you are voiding your warranty.

Also if you send them a broken screen they will not just fix it for free. You will be paying the cost for a replacement screen.

Big question here is why. Is the issue with the battery or the charging circuit. Did they cute more corners and use a cheap li-on/li-po charging ic that can not accurately monitor the battery voltage. These battery's just do not randomly blow if they are charged and maintained right. There is a serious of events that lead upto it.

For those who do not do the recall good luck. As we do not know why they do it and these battery even when taken off the charger can still blow. After it starts you can pull it off and it still will not stop the reaction so it could happen when you are sleeping. You really do not want to mess around with devices that store that much energy.
Samsung has said nothing about paying for screens.

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Re: Is there a chance we will receive a refurbished Note 7 as a brand new one?

Taking into consideration Samsung officialy just took the responsability to replace 1+ mil. Note 7 devices, will there be the chance that the ones who are still waiting the device, like myself, receive refurbished devices that are sold just like brand new?
Don't think so... They don't even have any refurbs cause the phone was just released... It's more probable that people that buy the phone once it's up for sale again will get our refurbished day 1 phones since millions of them would be returned by then....
If don't receive your device within the next month then I say you might have a chance of getting a refurbished depending on how fast they process the returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar