The Galaxy Note7 has been recalled for battery issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

geraldem

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
This really sucks for me as my first note from hard core iPhone user. Plus I'm leaving for Europe for a month at the end of sept and need to take a phone - the good thing is I still have my iPhone. May just try to return Note 7 and buy new iPhone.

I think many will do that who came over from Apple. I am in that boat but love this phone. I will be returning since I am still within that window. But will get new one once the dusts settles.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Maybe the new phones will also have improved glass?

As I have mentioned in other threads. I have been part of teams doing a recall in another industry. You would not believe the team of folks they have in conference rooms working on this problem around the clock. You can bet the highest levels of senoir management are deeply involved. They are thinking through every contingency and weighing pros and cons. Many of the things they are thinking through, we cannot even begin to bring into our discussion because there is too much we don't know. I remember watching news coverage of one of ours, and everybody saying what we should do. Some of the stuff was impossible, some of it sounded good, but would just be ineffective (of course some were pretty close to what we did too). Outsiders just don't have the facts they need to make a good decisioin.

Again, my guess, because of the way they are handling this early, is they are on a path to make their customers happy. They won't hit 100%, people are going to be pissed, but they seem to be giving their best effort. I expect the return process to be as customer friendly as they are able to make it. Corporations balance shareholder needs, employee needs, and customer needs everyday. The will error on the side of the customer through this process, which in the long run will benefit the shareholders that will squeal over the choices being made.

Disclaimer: all an educated guess

Smart insights.
Thanks.

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Should Samsung Compensate Note 7 Buyers?

There has been a lot of speculation and chatter as to whether, and how, Samsung should compensate Note 7 owners for this recall.

First, I think additional compensation is really not warranted, as they are already taking the unprecedented step of recalling ALL devices which alleviates the battery risk.

Second, if they do decide to "compensate" then no further gadget goodies (sorry to all you folks fishing for a free Gear S3 or VR) - give owners your two year extended/accidental damage protection warranty for free (subject to the same $99 deductible on accidental damage claims)...that would buy even further peace of mind concerning the safety of the replacement units. A win-win for customers and Samsung.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is there a chance we will receive a refurbished Note 7 as a brand new one?

It's very possible. I trust nobody and want absolutely nothing to do with refurbished crap.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind for those effected by the recall who do not do the recall you are voiding your warranty.

Also if you send them a broken screen they will not just fix it for free. You will be paying the cost for a replacement screen.

Big question here is why. Is the issue with the battery or the charging circuit. Did they cute more corners and use a cheap li-on/li-po charging ic that can not accurately monitor the battery voltage. These battery's just do not randomly blow if they are charged and maintained right. There is a serious of events that lead upto it.

For those who do not do the recall good luck. As we do not know why they do it and these battery even when taken off the charger can still blow. After it starts you can pull it off and it still will not stop the reaction so it could happen when you are sleeping. You really do not want to mess around with devices that store that much energy.

Samsung stated they are replacing not repairing. Depending on the process, some just might get away with sending cracked ones back- Might.

As far as a bad cell with these batteries, they tend to not act normal and then go boom. A bad cell should show a combination of running hot, low capacitance (battery life), or will go boom after just a few charges. There tends to not be a time ticking effect for a catastrophic event. If it is a circuit gate short issue, those are supposed to have redundancies in place to specifically avoid fires and their design is to work right or not work at all.

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Re: If sealed batteries are a liability for cellphones should Samsung move toward swappable batterie

Water resistance is achievable with a removable battery. Galaxy S5 for example.

As far as the OP question. Yes, it would be easier to handle this issue if the battery were swappable and they should go in that direction. Good design is achievable with removable batteries and there is no real negative to it other than the fact customers will have less of a need to upgrade and that's only a negative for the seller.

I still have my GS5 and hung on to that phone until it started giving me issues. I loved that I could do a battery pull when my phone froze. There's nothing faster than having a spare battery and going from 0-100 just by swapping out the batteries.
Now that Samsung is recalling the Note 7 's in 10 countries, this is going to cost them a lot of money and the inconvenience of the consumers. HOWEVER, good on Samsung for taking immediate action and doing the right thing. Samsung much rather take the hit now before someone could get seriously hurt or killed.

I think Samsung should reconsider making phones with removable batteries again. The Note 4 is a very attractive phone. It was a bit bulky for me. But they could've improved on the design, left everything alone, (I prefer some plastic on my phones due to better reception) made it water resistant... so if there was ever an issue with the battery, it's a very quick and less expensive fix.

Sorry for the long post. I get this way when I'm defending Samsung. I know it doesn't sound like I am. But being a Samsung user since the Nexus S days till now, I can see the "i" trolls coming on here.

One more thing, I think the LG G5 is quite ugly. I just like that it has a removable battery. Lol.

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site

Don't think so... They don't even have any refurbs cause the phone was just released... It's more probable that people that buy the phone once it's up for sale again will get our refurbished day 1 phones since millions of them would be returned by then....
If don't receive your device within the next month then I say you might have a chance of getting a refurbished depending on how fast they process the returns
I think most countries have similar rules to the US about refurbished goods - Samsung cannot refurbish the returned units and resell them as "new" - they would have to be clearly labeled as refurbished (and necessarily be discounted like any other refurbished products).

Shadowyugi

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
As an update to those following my little replies, carphone warehouse are currently trying to figure out what to do regarding those who already have their phones. They are communicating with retail support and samsung, but a replacement phone off the bat so far is not guaranteed, as per the words of the sales consultant I spoke to.

Depending on what samsung says, for those in the UK, we either have to shift contracts temporarily (for those who are on contracts) or get refunded and funnel the money somewhere else. That is if you already have the phone. If you haven't yet, you should be getting the monetary gifts from CW (£25 for sim and £50 for contract preorders)

The sales assistant has said he will get back to me as soon as Samsung support picks up their phone as they are rightfully getting a high number of calls atm.

Hopefully I get a phone this weekend. I doubt, but one can hope.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I sold mine on eBay, the buyer won't get it till Monday, will be interesting if they contact me, not my problem buddy.

Hahaha. The buyer is the winner here. He bought for a used price and now will get a brand new device through the recall.

And you sir, should feel ethically bound to contact the buyer if possible, to make sure he is aware of the recall.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Maybe the new phones will also have improved glass?

Speaking of shareholders... this would be a good time to short the stock as they release this info and go through the recall process into earnings. It's going to hit their earnings hard.

I wish I had thought that when the Palm was having issues the the Palm Pre and people were returning it left and right.

DanRomania

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site

Well that's not ok at all. Samsung Electronics Romania stated that the phone will officialy be available again here on 16th of September. Curently there is no store with the phone in stock. Mine has to come from Orange. I do hope that at least there will be a way to check if the phone we are receiving as brand new it's actually new and not a refurbished unit...

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: people are actually upset for samsung fixing an issue?

I think Samsung is handling this well. An upside is that I think we can be assured that the replacement units will be THOROUGHLY tested in all ways and defect free.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Re: Should Samsung Compensate Note 7 Buyers?

Yes, they should. Time is money and I'm not too excited about setting up another phone from scratch.

Next we will see lawyers on TV saying call if you have been injured by a Note 7.

Samsung better offer us early adopters something.

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: What happens if the Note 7 is recalled?

I have no back up phone either guess I will stop at my AT&T Store first thing in the morning and see what if anything that they may have heard. I got my phone last Monday so it has been a week and 3 days - I don't want to go back to Apple I want my Note
Seriously? Samsung Korea issues a press release overnight (US time) and some local retail AT&T employee in a strip mall is going to have information to give you?

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Should Samsung Compensate Note 7 Buyers?

As a Note owner who has had 0 problems and great battery life, I don't think it's appropriate to even ask for compensation, I'm really on the fence about if I want a replacement device (which will depend largely on how that's handled..I guess I wouldn't mind a new phone replacement, but talk to me about a refurbished unit and I'll run for the hills and take my chances - people are pigs and do sick twisted things with their phones...I don't even touch other people's phones let alone want it next to my face). If they wanted to throw a free gadget at me, I guess I wouldn't mind...but I don't find it necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34