The Galaxy Note7 has been recalled for battery issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoggles

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
No.
Not all worldwide units. Many news sites reporting otherwise..here is the message on Samsung Hong Kong site itself if you need it (its in english so its the best one to choose) that hopefully finally convinces you:
"Regarding enquiry to Samsung Galaxy Note7, all Galaxy Note7 sold from 2 September onwards at our authorized re-sellers or authorized distributors in Hong Kong and Macau are not affected. Consumer enquiry: please call our service hotline at 3698-4698."

Source:
Samsung Hong Kong | Mobile | TV | Home Appliances

Yes, all worldwide units. It's a full global recall. I think your misinterpreting what that message means. It says any Note 7's sold from this day forward in only Hong Kong and Macau are not affected. That still means that every N7 sold in Hong and Macau before today's date are being recalled. Samsung was obviously able to get fresh units to those two markets for immediate sale starting today, or in the coming days.

So it is indeed all worldwide units, that are part of the recall :)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
No.
Not all worldwide units. Many news sites reporting otherwise..here is the message on Samsung Hong Kong site itself if you need it (its in english so its the best one to choose) that hopefully finally convinces you:
"Regarding enquiry to Samsung Galaxy Note7, all Galaxy Note7 sold from 2 September onwards at our authorized re-sellers or authorized distributors in Hong Kong and Macau are not affected. Consumer enquiry: please call our service hotline at 3698-4698."

Source:
Samsung Hong Kong | Mobile | TV | Home Appliances
Yes they did. Here is the actual South Korean site and the Samsung site.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/business/2016/09/02/22/0502000000AEN20160902009400320F.html

https://news.samsung.com/global/statement-on-galaxy-note7

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Any compensation for recall?

Its fairly vague on how long we will be stuck with these temporary devices, a matter of days....weeks? Samsung should def do something to keep their customers happy especially with the looming iphone 7 launch.

njshoremom4gurlz

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
So basically does everyone have to send their phones in? What do they use in meantime if they don't have another phone?
This is probably gonna be called BLOW gate lol

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah we deploy iPhones at work because they may be "boring" but rock solid and "user friendly." :p

But yeah doesn't matter what carrier we use, if the phones in warranty you go straight the to apple store and deal with them and not carrier, they troubleshoot and if a problem they can't fix there on the spot, they give you an identical loaner and call you when you're phone is ready. Can even bypass the genius techs and goto their chat support where they run the diagnostics in the settings with you and see the results and then take it to the store for repair/replace. And there is an Apple store everywhere so never far from one. Really can't beat that.

Well, it isn't quite as nice as that, I don't think. Just this week my friend found the charging cable that came with his iPhone was defective. The nearest Apple store was about 45 minutes away. When he brought it there, they told him to talk to ATT. He told them ATT sent him to the Apple store, they told him he needed an appointment with a "Genius", and that he would need to wait a couple hours before anyone was available. When he did talk to a genius, they asked him to prove that the cable actually came with his new iPhone SE. Eventually they gave him "the benefit of the doubt" and gave him his cable. But really, spending hours to get a replacement that probably costs Apple about a dollar is crazy. Much nicer to drive to a closer carrier store where anyone there can just drop the replacement in your hand in a matter of minutes.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
A "few" iPhone batteries in the 6 exploded and leaked. Around the same amount of Note 7 batteries. Apple dealt with them on a case by case basis. Samsung just had the same issue,but which appears by early reports to be caused by various chargers including 3rd party, and chose to recall an entire series of phones. I feel that is the right way to handle it and how apple should have handled it. So for the people talking about this being "karma" or "comical" my original post is directed to them and their "praise" for Apple who had the same exact issue and chose to do very little about it until another explosion happened.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm going to be interviewed by local news here in Providence RI about this entire thing.

Their station asked if anyone had been affected by this on their FB page. I said i had. Next thing I know the lead reporter asked me to call her. Did. Coming here to interview me. Lol.

What are you going to say?

Hoggles

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
So basically does everyone have to send their phones in? What do they use in meantime if they don't have another phone?

That's the million dollar question. Literally in this case ;)

They will have to give out loaner phones to a lot of people. Sprint has already said they'll be doing this. Carriers may also be obligated to refund N7's in full, if people don't want to exchange for a new one, even if past the remorse period. This is a HUGE money loss and total nightmare, not only for Sammy, but also carriers and many smaller retailers. Not fun.

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
How about that new LG V20 coming out. That seems similar.

I don't think that addresses the issue of purchased accessories. My N7 case isn't going to work with a LG V20. I don't want to buy a case for a phone I'm not going to keep for very long.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Sprint Recall Exchange - Which One To Get?

Iphone... but you may never go back to the N7 when you see the "lack of issues" lol... :)
I had issues with my iPhone 6s+. It lagged upon rebooting. My screen touches didn't register all the time. And it DID get warm and sometimes hot to the touch.

So please spare me. I left the Note 5 series to the iPhone due to battery. I came back when they improved on that. The iPhone is not without it's own set of issues. Tired of listening to this flawed argument.

Hell just last night my son's iPhone 6 froze him out. Would not let him in and said it was due to iCloud problem.

His entire username and password was gone. When he entered it continues to get error.

I had to do a full FDR to get it back to working.

canonuevo

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: Purchased Note7 at Best Buy

Best buy is not Samsung. Return it within 14 days or follow up with Samsung on how to replace your phone

That is quite obvious, thanks for pointing that out. I think what the op wants to know is do we go through our carrier, ATT, or where we purchased the device to get it replaced.

FYI with my chat with Samsung

Chris: I was just wondering how do I proceed with the Note 7 recall? I purchased my device at Best Buy, but i'm with ATT
Mounika K: I understand your concern Chris. I will be glad to help you with the required information.
Mounika K: Samsung takes product quality and customer safety very seriously. Samsung would like to assure customers that Samsung always employ strict quality control and safety measures to ensure that devices meet and exceed industry safety standards
Chris: ok
Mounika K: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.
Mounika K: Thanks for being online.
Chris: no problem
Mounika K: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
Chris: nothing else, but you haven't told me what needs to happen
Mounika K: We apologize for the inconvenience Chris,As our team is working on it, we don't have much information regarding it as this point of time.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
That's the million dollar question. Literally in this case ;)

They will have to give out loaner phones to a lot of people. Sprint has already said they'll be doing this. Carriers may also be obligated to refund N7's in full, if people don't want to exchange for a new one, even if past the remorse period. This is a HUGE money loss and total nightmare, not only for Sammy, but also carriers and many smaller retailers. Not fun.

T-Mo mentioned people can get full refunds, accessories included, but to my knowledge they haven't mentioned anything about loaners yet.

Marky310

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
My phone seems to be one of the lucky ones. Doesn't overheat in any situation. No lag (except annoying keyboard lag sometimes). I'll probably wait till Monday when they'll be more info and I'm off work to go into a sprint store. I hope getting a replacement note 7 won't take a million years. I love the note line, don't care much for the galaxy line.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm kinda regretting paying full price now. With the flood of returns, I imaging we'd be able to pick up a refurb n7 for $100 or so in the next couple months

Very good point, but something even at $100/$200 less for this seems too risky buying on Ebay. At least when buying at a store you have direct recourse.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... I'd caution and recommend a little bit of patience... especially with carriers and retail outlets since they are not in control here. This all happened quickly and the suppliers are waiting on guidance from Samsung. I called T-Mobile myself (got a Note 7 for my wife) and the CS rep did say while they weren't sure what Samsung issues for guidance, she said that we would be taken care of. Since this was a JUMP upgrade, she said that any return windows, or any sort of EIP penalty if this goes beyond that window... we aren't going to be penalized for anything along those lines. Her supervisor recommended that I keep the new Note 7 while the dust settles and they'll square up with me once they know what to do.

So she's still on her S7 and the new Note 7 is sitting, powered down and in its box, on a shelf. There it will remain until T-Mobile follows up.

Status
Not open for further replies.