The Galaxy Note7 has been recalled for battery issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

chriskwarren

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Samsung said they are replacing all.

Samsung announced the solution. They are replacing all Notes worldwide.

Samsung said.. Samsung, they are the authority here. They just announced this a few hours ago.

These are good link to back up what you have been saying, but why would most news orgs (including this site) report that Chinese ones are not included, including this Korean site that quotes the CEO:

"“We are currently working with two or three battery-makers and the problem was found in only one of them,” he said. “There was a tiny problem in the process of manufacturing battery cells. Some issues related to ringing effects and insulation tape within cells appeared to cause the problem.”

Samsung plans to recall all Galaxy Note 7 units that used the battery from the problem battery-maker -- reportedly Samsung SDI -- in 10 nations. But, the company will continue to sell the smartphone in China, where the smartphone uses batteries from a different battery-maker -- reportedly a Chinese company. "
Samsung announces global recall of Galaxy Note 7

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I hate to say this but I have a feeling that the people who will hold on to these faulty devices will eventually run into this issue. Be safe folks!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Will you stick with the Note 7 if there is a recall or get different phone?

Didn't say anything is perfect but an issue that can burn your house down is another story.
Anyways, the likelihood of this being widespread is very small. But the fact that it has happened in the past with other devices and such a response was never given makes me wonder if its something on a larger scale that's all.
35 devices have exploded so far, 24 of those had battery fault. Samsung who made these and wants to make money, feels it is necessary to give you a new phone.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I hate to say this but I have a feeling that the people who will hold on to these faulty devices will eventually run into this issue. Be safe folks!
I'm holding on to mine, at least until I get a microSIM adapter.

Maybe then I'll temporarily pick a backup phone to use until the replacement units arrive and I can get mine sorted.

Jvazquez930

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Note 7 recall with Verizon Wireless

Verizon says it has stopped selling the Galaxy Note 7 and "through September 30, 2016, Verizon is waiving the restocking fee for any customers who purchased a Galaxy Note7 and wish to return or exchange it."
So what are we doing? Keeping ours? Exchanging for a new Note 7? Or returning it and going with a completely different phone?

anon(10010578)

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
I think samsung has been pretty successful in testing their batteries in the millions of other devices they have sold in the past. Defective product making it through standardized tests is not unheard of. Again, warranties.

Samsung unfortunately is at fault though it's the manufactures fault that created the batteries. They have their own internal dept that makes batteries for Samsung (supposedly the ones that are good) and then you have the aftermarket (so to speak) ones that were built by another manufacture with subpar standards. Unfortunately Samsung did not put more stringent internal testing on those devices prior to deploying them to the masses, and this is just bad business and a lack of intelligence on someones part there.

It's no different then when I deploy a firewall/sans/network appliance... it goes through rigorous testing before it touches the network. Why? Well, the implications when it fails are HUGE. This is what we are seeing here... Greed.... because they wanted to beat apple to the punch... If they had waited another month or so, they would have weeded out the issue IMO. But they didn't, and here we are. :'(

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
These are good link to back up what you have been saying, but why would most news orgs (including this site) report that Chinese ones are not included, including this Korean site that quotes the CEO:

"“We are currently working with two or three battery-makers and the problem was found in only one of them,” he said. “There was a tiny problem in the process of manufacturing battery cells. Some issues related to ringing effects and insulation tape within cells appeared to cause the problem.”

Samsung plans to recall all Galaxy Note 7 units that used the battery from the problem battery-maker -- reportedly Samsung SDI -- in 10 nations. But, the company will continue to sell the smartphone in China, where the smartphone uses batteries from a different battery-maker -- reportedly a Chinese company. "
Samsung announces global recall of Galaxy Note 7
That was before the official recall that was announced just a few hours ago, exactly at 3 am central time.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Will you stick with the Note 7 if there is a recall or get different phone?

Didn't say anything is perfect but an issue that can burn your house down is another story.
Anyways, the likelihood of this being widespread is very small. But the fact that it has happened in the past with other devices and such a response was never given makes me wonder if its something on a larger scale that's all.
True, but in all reality anything in your house could burn it down at any time.

Agreed. I think a very small number are actually effected but better safe than sorry for Samsung. They don't want to be tied up with lawsuits for years.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Note 7 recall with Verizon Wireless

Verizon says it has stopped selling the Galaxy Note 7 and "through September 30, 2016, Verizon is waiving the restocking fee for any customers who purchased a Galaxy Note7 and wish to return or exchange it."
So what are we doing? Keeping ours? Exchanging for a new Note 7? Or returning it and going with a completely different phone?

I am going to the beach after the hurricane and doing nothing with my perfectly working phone besides using it during this chaos.

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Any compensation for recall?

I would hope this is not the only free offering as this would be completely useless to the people that decided on the 256gb card when originally purchasing the note 7

free2spin

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Samsung unfortunately is at fault though it's the manufactures fault that created the batteries. They have their own internal dept that makes batteries for Samsung (supposedly the ones that are good) and then you have the aftermarket (so to speak) ones that were built by another manufacture with subpar standards. Unfortunately Samsung did not put more stringent internal testing on those devices prior to deploying them to the masses, and this is just bad business and a lack of intelligence on someones part there.

It's no different then when I deploy a firewall/sans/network appliance... it goes through rigorous testing before it touches the network. Why? Well, the implications when it fails are HUGE. This is what we are seeing here... Greed.... because they wanted to beat apple to the punch... If they had waited another month or so, they would have weeded out the issue IMO. But they didn't, and here we are. :'(

Phone batteries are pretty standard at this point. Why would they over test this particular one?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't overheat in any situation.

Want to point this out... Samsung has not yet released detailed information about the problem. It could be related to something that failed due to heat during charging, it could very well be a defect that could fail with little to no warning (say a fault in the internal safety circuitry, who knows?). These batteries can go from 0 to REALLY bad news in a couple of seconds... and they generate enough heat to completely melt glass in a blink of an eye.

Every single one of the units Samsung received back didn't catch fire.. until they did. Maybe it was the first charge, maybe it rolled its internal dice every time you plugged it in. But just because it hasn't failed yet doesn't mean it won't fail. Now, the chances of your phone being affected by this might very well be extremely low.... Samsung put it at 24 confirmed failures out of a million (number they gave). That's about 1 in 41,000.

Up until last night, I wasn't going to worry about it... I figured I'd use the stock charging gear, give it the once once for a few days... that way I could wait on word before I gave it to my wife for her to use. But then Samsung issued a global recall of all units. Yeah, I'm all set. Back in the box it goes until T-Mobile gets me a replacement.

free2spin

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site

They are absolutely at fault. That's why they're offering new phones.

neo Jeets

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Man, this sucks. First time I switch over from an iPhone to an Android phone and this happens. My Note 7 only really gets noticeably hot when using it in the new Gear VR. I guess I won't be using VR anymore until I get this thing replaced cause having an officially recalled fire hazard strapped to my head doesn't sound like a good time.:eek:

anon(10010578)

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Phone batteries are pretty standard at this point. Why would they over test this particular one?

Apparently not, because you have issues with one manufacture.... And phones blowing up....

I would think when you're using any company that you subcontract something out to, you do way more testing on it then you would if you do it in-house. Though, in my place of business, testing of equipment is done long before it goes into production. This goes for phones, switches, etc... This is because we believe as a business unit, we want the best for our clients. We get test phones all the time (even older ones that have been around awhile) and we still test them before they go out. Just to make sure our clients are good to go! A burn in process if you will...

free2spin

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Man, this sucks. First time I switch over from an iPhone to an Android phone and this happens. My Note 7 only really gets noticeably hot when using it in the new Gear VR. I guess I won't be using VR anymore until I get this thing replaced cause having an officially recalled fire hazard strapped to my head doesn't sound like a good time.:eek:

Or does it?

Jvazquez930

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Note 7 recall with Verizon Wireless

Mine works great with no issues. And it took me a while to set it up the way i want it so ill be keeping mine

Status
Not open for further replies.