The Galaxy Note7 has been recalled for battery issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

onthehunt

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Sprint is still selling the Note 7. Just took this screen shot. Interestingly, it is at the bottom of the phone list and not at the top as they promoted it before. This is the best reason to have removable batteries in phones. Replacing a battery is a much cheaper option for Samsung than replacing a phone. Maybe this will open their eyes.

Sprint Website Note 7 Still for Sale 2Sep2016.JPG

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't know Kelly, I'm going to American Airlines Center for Demi Lovato and Nick Jonas concert where my Note 5 DIED before the night was over. I don't want my Note 7 exploding on me and killing or injuring me. I need a reliable phone...might go Apple with iPhone 7. *shudders*
If you have something to get through 2 weeks, maybe even a cheaper prepaid smartphone, it might be resolved in two weeks.

If you get something else today, you do have 14 days to return that..

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Ill be keeping mine until At&t sends me another or lets me walk into a store and get one. Until then I wont be charging it at night just to be safe and if it explodes Ill start using my Active again until the new ones available. Im not going to send it back until its immediately replaceable or they say if I dont it will void being replaced.

Infamousx14

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Re: Talking to tmobile right now regarding how to exchange if you ordered.

AT&T said they will have more info later today.

.... AT&T

I have been trying to exchange my 10 days old Note 7 since last week due to battery draining issue. No matter what I did, they told me they couldn't do it unless they took my current phone away until new one comes in 3 weeks, or if i pay non-refundable $61.85.

KARMA IS A .....

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Galaxy Note7 shipments delayed for "quality testing"

My personal experience - hope this helps.

This is already my second Note 7. The first one had screen issues where the edges of the screen didn't register touch. So, I just got the new one Wednesday night, and just got it set up exactly the way I like it. And I LOVE THE PHONE! Being a first adopter has its risks... <sigh>

But, mine does seem to be overheating under certain circumstances.

When the phone told me I had an Android update, I laid it on the Samsung Wireless charger, which was plugged into the wall with the Samsung fast charger supplied with the phone. I had a clear Speck case on it.

I picked it up near the end of the upgrade and it was HOT! Now, it's not uncommon (in my experience) for phones to get kind of hot when doing updates (I have a lot of apps, and I believe it makes a difference, as it has to "optimize" each and every app you have on the phone).

So, I immediately took off the case and stuck it in my refrigerator for awhile. Problem solved... for the moment. Hasn't overheated since, and I've been using it fairly heavy.

My personal suggestions: (note, I said "personal suggestions" - do or do not at your own risk, of course!)

1.) Don't use the wireless charging for now - it does generate more heat.
2.) Don't let the battery run down very far - charge it when you get to 80% or so, then you don't have to charge it as long to top off each time.
3.) Don't leave it on a charger overnight.
4.) Go nekkid! Cases hold in heat - I'm not putting mine back in the case for now.
5.) Don't charge it while you're doing updates like I did. You'll be roastin' marshmallows!!!

I bet Sammy wishes they'd gone with a removable battery now!!! LOL

Anyway, hope these suggestions help us all keep 'em a little cooler until Sammy gets us some new ones. I commend the company for taking such fast action. I am disappointed that their quality control didn't catch this problem... Still, I remain a loyal Sammy fan-girl.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I could be way off base here, but what the carriers are doing right now is not technically part of the recall. How that will be handled has not been announced to my knowledge. In the meantime, they are offering to their customers a service. Once the recall is fully underway, my assumption is you will be able to handle the recall directly in some way. People that recieved as gifts or prizes will be in the same boat. This is not a warranty issue, it is a recall.
Right... Carriers are just giving you other options in the mean time

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm still at a loss at what to do. I have a friend who works for a Verizon corporate store who told me to return the phone, period. I personally just want to keep my phone until... I honestly don't know.

Either way it probably has to be returned, and what I do and where I go from there as to whether I get a new Note 7, or look for a new phone will depend on how badly this spins out of control.
Problem is since I bought my phone on 2 year contract, returning my phone would set back the 2 year contract date for next time at least a month, but probably more.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Samsung unfortunately is at fault though it's the manufactures fault that created the batteries. They have their own internal dept that makes batteries for Samsung (supposedly the ones that are good) and then you have the aftermarket (so to speak) ones that were built by another manufacture with subpar standards. Unfortunately Samsung did not put more stringent internal testing on those devices prior to deploying them to the masses, and this is just bad business and a lack of intelligence on someones part there.
'(

It is hard to say that for sure. Issues that crop up in the 1/100,000 of the time are really difficult to sample for, it is just a statistical fact. We don't know the incidence yet, so we don't know if it was lack of QA or just an infrequent event that even good QA screen missed.

The current number is 2.4 in 100,000. I demonstrated earlier on this thread how hard that is to test against.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Problem is since I bought my phone on 2 year contract, returning my phone would set back the 2 year contract date for next time at least a month, but probably more.

Yeah, I paid off my S7E 50%, and upgraded to the Note 7. The S7E just returned to Texas today. I saw Best Buy has the S7E in Rose Gold now with a $200 gift card, but I'm trying to figure out how I return the Note 7 to Verizon then walk out with no phone on my line, hit the crosswalk to Best Buy and get a new phone. I don't think Verizon would let me out of the store without a phone on my line.. I'm kind of in a unique situation.

On a forever upgrade at 50% DPP, already returned the S7E, got the new phone up and running and now Verizon will take it back no questions asked. Does that make me free and clear of Big Red?

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
This is what Verizon just told me

You: Samsung announced a voluntary recall of the Galaxy Note7 in response to an issue with the device’s battery. Because customer safety is our top priority, Verizon has stopped selling the Galaxy Note7. Additionally, through September 30, 2016, we are waiving the restocking fee for any customers who purchased a Galaxy Note7 and wish to return or exchange it.

You: What if i am past the 14 day return period?

Jennifer: You would need to buy a new device at retail value, or if it is a damage, you would need to call the phones company like apple or sony, and have them fix the problem through the warranty
Jennifer: If you call customer service, they may help you.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: Note 7 recall with Verizon Wireless

I am going to the beach after the hurricane and doing nothing with my perfectly working phone besides using it during this chaos.

And hey, it the sand scratches it, NEW PHONE. :)

Hope you survived the storm well. Enjoy the beach, it is normally great after one goes through.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
This is what Verizon just told me

You: Samsung announced a voluntary recall of the Galaxy Note7 in response to an issue with the device’s battery. Because customer safety is our top priority, Verizon has stopped selling the Galaxy Note7. Additionally, through September 30, 2016, we are waiving the restocking fee for any customers who purchased a Galaxy Note7 and wish to return or exchange it.

You: What if i am past the 14 day return period?

Jennifer: You would need to buy a new device at retail value, or if it is a damage, you would need to call the phones company like apple or sony, and have them fix the problem through the warranty
Jennifer: If you call customer service, they may help you.

Jennifer is not a helpful person, is she?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
It's not that simple because some phones exploded when not being charged

there have been issues with Iphones having similar problems and they never issued a recall. Why with Samsung does this blow up so big but with Apple the media doesn't say much and it's brushed under the rug?

anon(10010578)

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
From Bloomberg:

Lee Seung Woo, an analyst at IBK Securities Co. in Seoul, estimates that about 1 million handsets are affected by the battery problem, with about 600,000 sold overseas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary