The Galaxy Note7 has been recalled for battery issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Sprint is still selling the Note 7. Just took this screen shot. Interestingly, it is at the bottom of the phone list and not at the top as they promoted it before. This is the best reason to have removable batteries in phones. Replacing a battery is a much cheaper option for Samsung than replacing a phone. Maybe this will open their eyes.

View attachment 238228

If they go back to cheap ugly plastic phones just to have an external battery, I will be done with Samsung.

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This is what Verizon just told me

You: Samsung announced a voluntary recall of the Galaxy Note7 in response to an issue with the device’s battery. Because customer safety is our top priority, Verizon has stopped selling the Galaxy Note7. Additionally, through September 30, 2016, we are waiving the restocking fee for any customers who purchased a Galaxy Note7 and wish to return or exchange it.

You: What if i am past the 14 day return period?

Jennifer: You would need to buy a new device at retail value, or if it is a damage, you would need to call the phones company like apple or sony, and have them fix the problem through the warranty
Jennifer: If you call customer service, they may help you.

Sounds like you got an unhelpful rep, which isn't surprising.

zznation

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
We are still waiting on more info to be released. This is going to be one of those patience times today I think.

Based on what I am reading, it seems like a full refund may be possible. So we are pretty much borrowing this IED for now and get to see the releases from Apple to make an informed decision.

Rafterman00

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
there have been issues with Iphones having similar problems and they never issued a recall. Why with Samsung does this blow up so big but with Apple the media doesn't say much and it's brushed under the rug?

To be fair, Apple never had to recall every single phone due to a severe safety issue.

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I have not read the whole thread, but I am not too concerned about the Note 7 my wife is using. I think samsung has issued the recall as the only way to restore customer confidence. Even if it is only isolated to the international version.
I still think it is a great phone and will be waiting to see if the new promotion is enough to tear me away from my Note 4.
This could happen with any phone. Samsung will be judged by how well they handle this going forward.

anon(10010578)

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
True story.. I tried to find more info on those apple explosions, and it looks like some of the same... People using unauthorized chargers. Though one person said they had it in their pocket.... heck with that! =/ 1st degree burns.. bah!

To be fair, Apple never had to recall every single phone due to a severe safety issue.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm waiting on At&t to send me a new Samsung Note 7 phone, or call me and say I can come into the store and get a new Samsung Galaxy note 7.
Elsewise I'm keeping the Note 7 I have.

Samsung has sold millions of these phones and like 30 messed up.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
there have been issues with Iphones having similar problems and they never issued a recall. Why with Samsung does this blow up so big but with Apple the media doesn't say much and it's brushed under the rug?

I saw it on my local morning news. If you search for Note 7 Recall you will find it all over (I was searching for Samsung's press release for another website). Yes Apple would get more news coverage, earlier and longer, but it's still being reported.

anon(10010578)

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Spoke with TMO here, and they are taking back phones or giving the option to wait until the new ones come in... Though with the liability, they are a little bit adamant about getting the phones back.

Also (at least for this store) they stated they will keep the queue where it is. Meaning, if you return the phone, you will be priority for when the new ones come in. Existing orders will "not" jump your priority.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Re: Kudos to Samsung.

Regardless of the percentage of problems reported or those who will ignore the recall because they don't feel like it's a problem Samsung has put customers safety over profits. You don't see this much anymore. Some recalls take lawsuits and government intervention because large corporations are loath to admit wrongdoing of any kind. I find it rather amazing that Samsung is doing this of their own free will so soon after release.

I agree. They came out right away and admitted there was a problem and quickly developed a solution to recall and replace. How many other companies (Apple) would do that? For me anyways, it instills confidence in Samsung and their products. For those that want to bad mouth Samsung, remember, it is impossible to run every single possible scenario in the lab. Samsung does a lot of testing and quality control. Does this mean they are 100% perfect? Of course not. Things like this can happen. What is important is how does a company deal with the issue once something like this happens. I cannot remember any other company acting this fast and doing a total recall on a product. For most companies someone has to die and the government has to step in before they do the right thing.

I applaud Samsung for acting so quickly and in the best interest of their customers.

hailsusy90

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
A full refund is possible from T-Mobile and they don't have a cut off date for refunds yet. I asked. I bought an s5 to use in the mean time and once it arrives (no I didn't buy from T-Mobile directly) I will put the note 7 in it's box and keep it until they say if you need to send it back to be replaced or if you will be able to go to the store and swap it out. Or possibly if the LG v20 is released and has decent specs I will preorder because I'm not happy with having a battery I can't replace easily on my own.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
This whole mess reminds me of the exploding hover boards that were just recently banned. Cheap Li-ion factories are the cause.....manufacturers who chose these factories are to blame.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
This is the best reason to have removable batteries in phones. Replacing a battery is a much cheaper option for Samsung than replacing a phone. Maybe this will open their eyes.
If you notice, some of the exploded phones had ruined screens. A replaceable battery wouldn't have helped. Also if only the battery exploded, who knows what internal damage there would have been. Sure they could do a wide battery replacement on undamaged phones for those types of phones, but you would still be without a phone because you sent the battery back, until a new battery arrived. We don't know how long it will be until new Note 7's will be issued to those returning them (so for people like me who waited, I may have to wait even longer). So the same time frame would be with a replaceable battery.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Since they know the Chinese versions (128gb version) doesn't have the issue they should send anyone trading in on the recall 128gb versions. It would be good customer service. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.