I love the iris scanner on the N7. When I first got my N7 I set it up quickly and it worked nearly perfectly 99% of time on the first try. Sometimes is was so fast, I didn't even sense that it scanned at all.

Then, after my first week of ownership, I deleted the iris pattern that I stored on Day 1, b/c I wanted to see if a super-careful set-up would make it 100% consistent. But the result is having slightly less consistency than the first time I just slam-dunked the set up. In fact, now maybe half the time it does not recognize my iris on first try, and when I tap for a second try it immediately unlocks the phone - like it was waiting to do so, but just didn't on the first try. I plan to just re-do the set up and see how/if the result changes.

So, any tips or helpful experiences with the iris scanner? It's such a useful tool I want to make sure I am setting it up, and using it, as best as I can.

-bk
    08-31-2016 08:38 AM
    At least you got it to set up. Wouldn't even recognize me. Need toothpicks for my lids or something stupid. No matter how wide I got my eyes the iris wouldn't take.
    Jewels81 likes this.
    08-31-2016 08:39 AM
    At least you got it to set up. Wouldn't even recognize me. Need toothpicks for my lids or something stupid. No matter how wide I got my eyes the iris wouldn't take.
    The set up was so easy, and so fast, that it left me with the sense that there might be ways to do it better.
    Sorry to hear that it doesn't work for you. I am sure you didn't have contacts or glasses on - did you get the distance right? Were you holding the phone up and not looking down?

Maybe others with the same problem will chime in here to help you with that.
    08-31-2016 08:44 AM
    I wear contacts and it's supposed to recognize through those, but took glasses off. Tried everything. That was one reason I wanted the N7. I tried up down and forward.
    08-31-2016 08:50 AM
    I'm sorry but I can't help but LMAO at the toothpicks for my eyelids part😂😊
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    08-31-2016 09:44 AM
    The first two times I tried to set mine up, I could not get it to work and gave up. I am not sure if it is related or not, but I was having a battery drain issue and found that my Samsung account had a sync error even though my calendar and contacts (the only two items I had set to sync) appeared to be syncing normally. I deleted my Samsung account and set it up again and the iris scan worked faster than I expected it to. I had not even gotten my eyes in the two circles on the screen before it told me it was set up successfully.

I set mine up by taking off my glasses, and so far it has worked 95% of the time even with my glasses on. I think the times it did not work were because my lenses get darker in the sun and I had not been inside long enough for them to be completely clear when I tried.
    08-31-2016 09:52 AM
    I was surprised how well the Iris scanner worked for me. It works with or without contacts in.wished it worked with my glasses on though lol.
    08-31-2016 10:51 AM
    I set up the iris scanner pretty quick with my contacts.
    08-31-2016 11:02 AM
    I'm going to try again later. Surely it was just something off last night. First day with it, it was late, I was tired, still setting up my N7, etc.
    08-31-2016 11:03 AM
    I'm going to try again later. Surely it was just something off last night. First day with it, it was late, I was tired, still setting up my N7, etc.
    Now that I think about it...
    Check my avatar.
    Is there any wonder why I am having iris scanning issues?
    I think my eyes ARE open wide enough, right?
    08-31-2016 01:11 PM
    Mines is so fast, that the mask screen doesn't even get a chance to appear 95% of the time.....
    08-31-2016 01:33 PM
    From my experience setup is all about the lighting that you are in. I find lighting is much less important for actual use however.

I did the same thing and set up initially quick and easy and it worked well. I went back and deleted my iris's seeking perfection and could not even re-add my eyes. I thought it was broken at one point. The lighting was recessed flood in my house and even in a well lit area I was getting like 6% before it failed.

Then I went out to get gas at night and tried again under the gas station canope that has tons of fluorescent lighting. Bang, it added my iri's successfully in less than a couple of seconds.

Mine still does not work perfectly every time, but it will unlock consistently even in the dark.

$.02
    08-31-2016 03:14 PM
    Set mine up once and it works great.
    09-01-2016 02:06 PM