09-02-2016 06:27 PM
77 1234
tools
    I'll keep mine at the very least until replacements become available in store. I'm not waiting for them to send me anything or going through a complicated return process with Verizon. When I can walk into a corporate store and walk out with a new Note 7 then I will consider it. The only time mine has gotten hot at all was when it downloaded the first security update the day I got it. Since then it has performed like an absolute champ.
    skatergirl and Carlo Villa like this.
    09-02-2016 05:19 PM
    That is what Tmobile told me. I'm holding onto mine and then swapping it out for a new Note 7. I ordered mine in store, but since it was an order from Tmobile I have to go through corporate. they said they would send me a new phone first and I then send old one back. I "might" look to exchange it for a V20 as the specs look really beefy, but with the G5 problems and being a big flop I'd hate to go to the V20 and have issues with that and end up with a device that is a failure when I could get a brand new note which overall the Note is a much better device most likely.
    Same here. This is what they said that they will hear in a few days or so about How Verizon going to send out the new phones. I am guessing the same way like I got my preorder in a box and return the old.
    09-02-2016 05:22 PM
    I won't be returning the phone ever. Gonna roll the dice on this one. And It's my understanding that the exploding devices were due to people using after market cables.

Also 35 cases world wide of exploding devices? Lets say each carrier shipped 10k devices for the WORLD. Sprint, AT&T, TMobile, Verizon and Telus. That's 50k devices, 35 exploded and none were in the US?

If my math is correct- 35÷50,000=.0007*100= .07%
    That tells me I have a better chance of leaving my apartment, walking across the street and getting hit by a cement truck or contracting salmonella from one of my favorite restaurants before this phone will explode.
    In mfg terms, that's 700 PPM which is extremely high for an issue that concerns safety
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    09-02-2016 05:26 PM
    Plus, at least with Sprint- Samsung is offering a $25 gift card if you stay in the samsung family and don't opt for a complete return/exchange for another type of phone.
    09-02-2016 05:27 PM
    I won't be returning the phone ever. Gonna roll the dice on this one. And It's my understanding that the exploding devices were due to people using after market cables.

Also 35 cases world wide of exploding devices? Lets say each carrier shipped 10k devices for the WORLD. Sprint, AT&T, TMobile, Verizon and Telus. That's 50k devices, 35 exploded and none were in the US?

That tells me I have a better chance of leaving my apartment, walking across the street and getting hit by a cement truck or contracting salmonella from one of my favorite restaurants before this phone will explode.
    I really like your thinking. I know we are sort of in the minority but I just don't like relying on voodoo logic. Samsung is covering its butt allowing everyone to send back a phone. Right now many are in a panic. I am not one of those people and I have until Sept. 30 to see if this phone is going to be a disaster or if I am forced to swap out or lose my warranty. I can wait to see what unfolds.
    09-02-2016 05:30 PM
    I'll keep mine at the very least until replacements become available in store. I'm not waiting for them to send me anything or going through a complicated return process with Verizon. When I can walk into a corporate store and walk out with a new Note 7 then I will consider it. The only time mine has gotten hot at all was when it downloaded the first security update the day I got it. Since then it has performed like an absolute champ.
    Yeah that's probably what the people that had the issue thought too. "Why did it catch on fire? It has never done that before."
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    09-02-2016 05:31 PM
    How long can u wait to make a swap. My phone is working just fine. Really no heat, even in Fast Charge. It was made in Korea. I'll hold out as long as I can. Get some good use out of the phone and then make the swap, if there is no time limit.
    09-02-2016 05:33 PM

Samsung is saying at least 1 million phones are at risk, that is a conservative number.
    09-02-2016 05:34 PM
    Yeah that's probably what the people that had the issue thought too. "Why did it catch on fire? It has never done that before."
    The 35 people out of the couple of million you mean?
    09-02-2016 05:35 PM
    How long can u wait to make a swap. My phone is working just fine. Really no heat, even in Fast Charge. It was made in Korea. I'll hold out as long as I can. Get some good use out of the phone and then make the swap, if there is no time limit.
    Why risk it? Samsung wouldn't do this recall without being very serious about the danger.

The battery cells were made in China, Samsung is saying at least 1 million devices are at risk now, minimum.
    09-02-2016 05:36 PM
    Don't do this folks. Ignore the bull coming from PR, apply some common sense and think for a minute.

All Note 7's not made specifically for China telecom have:

The same battery. I do believe LG Chen manufactured them. That's common, LG does a crap-ton of batteries.

The same mainboard with the same PMIC scheme. There are some differences in the SoC area between Exynos and Qcomm versions, but those differences exist so the other 90% of the boards can be identical. That's how mass production works.

The same production techniques. Feed parts to the front of an assembly line. Let machines put then together (Google pick and place machine videos and PCB production to see some cool things). Collect parts and have a person snap them together. The same machines are used to assemble every piece for every phone.

Every Note 7 has the same defect. Yours might not ever blow up. Or it might.

And for baby Jesus' sake stop blaming it on the cable or the user. That reeks of "you're holding it wrong". Things like this happen. All Samsung can do is fix the issue. Help them fix it by swapping for a unit with the updated internal design.
    09-02-2016 05:37 PM
    Actually it was 24 out of 35.

35 units exploded, 24 were a battery fault. Samsung has said at least 1 million devices are at risk.
    09-02-2016 05:38 PM
    Couple of million? Pretty sure you just artificially inflated the number (or my information is out of date).

The risk should be zero, and it would be if it weren't for the defective part.

To directly answer your question, yes, those 35 people. Samsung is recalling every device because they ALL suffer from having a bad battery (except for China devices apparently, which have batteries from a different manufacturer). There is no information disputing this fact. There is no "mine is from a good batch" because the information that we have is ALL THE BATCHES ARE BAD.

I'm starting to wonder if the "I'm not going to exchange my phone" crowd is just suffering from denial. Facts are being ignored.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    09-02-2016 05:41 PM
    So, how do we even know which units are affected?

Is there are serial number cutoff or something?
    09-02-2016 05:41 PM
    Actually it was 24 out of 35.

35 units exploded, 24 were a battery fault. Samsung has said at least 1 million devices are at risk.
    Yes I know. All I'm saying is that I'm not going to run into Verizon right now like the phone is a hot potato (pun only semi intended) when it has been working flawlessly for the 2 weeks I've had it. I would never fault anyone for being cautious or concerned. Having said that I personally feel comfortable waiting until the process to rectify this issue is simple and quick meaning I can walk into the store with this phone and walk out with a new Note 7. I don't want another device such as an S7E or Iphone, I don't want to send my phone anywhere, I don't want to wait yet again for the Fed Ex guy. That's all I'm saying and given that I've had zero issues thus far I feel comfortable doing that. I'm not saying what anyone else should or shouldn't do. I would never do that.
    09-02-2016 05:42 PM
    Couple of million? Pretty sure you just artificially inflated the number (or my information is out of date).

The risk should be zero, and it would be if it weren't for the defective part.

To directly answer your question, yes, those 35 people. Samsung is recalling every device because they ALL suffer from having a bad battery (except for China devices apparently, which have batteries from a different manufacturer). There is no information disputing this fact. There is no "mine is from a good batch" because the information that we have is ALL THE BATCHES ARE BAD.

I'm starting to wonder if the "I'm not going to exchange my phone" crowd is just suffering from denial. Facts are being ignored.

I don't think any of us are delusional. What we are however is adults who are capable of making our own decisions and don't need snarky or condescending posts chastising us for doing so.
    09-02-2016 05:44 PM
    I don't think any of us are delusional. What we are however is adults who are capable of making our own decisions and don't need snarky or condescending posts chastising us for doing so.
    Based on your previous reply I can see that you're not actually saying you aren't going to do the recall. Good.

Yes, you're an adult and can make your own decisions. But as an adult some decisions can still be wrong and uninformed. That's the point I'm trying to make (not just to you specifically, so sorry for singling you out). Think I want to go through this with two devices? Nope.
    the real batman likes this.
    09-02-2016 05:47 PM
    Look at it this way those that way. those that have scratches on there screen or even cracks ! You get an New phone Free of Charge!!!
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    09-02-2016 05:58 PM
    Definitely keeping mine
    No problems at all. I called Samsung today, they were able to tell me by my giving them the imei of my phone if my battery was part of those they deemed to be faulty and in need of replacement. I was told it was definitely not in the group of those needing replacement. So for now... I'm very happy!
    09-02-2016 06:01 PM
    The risk should be as low as reasonably possible. We don't live in a perfect world so it'll never be zero. Enough cases have popped up that it's not reasonable. Kudos to Samsung for they're recall efforts so far. There was a recent (voluntary) recall of the Nvidia Shield tablet for overheating. Like Nvidia, Samsung is doing the right thing.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    09-02-2016 06:07 PM
    So, how do we even know which units are affected?

Is there are serial number cutoff or something?
    Every unit is being recalled. If your unit falls into that group, then yours is one 😊
    09-02-2016 06:10 PM
    Yes I know. All I'm saying is that I'm not going to run into Verizon right now like the phone is a hot potato (pun only semi intended) when it has been working flawlessly for the 2 weeks I've had it. I would never fault anyone for being cautious or concerned. Having said that I personally feel comfortable waiting until the process to rectify this issue is simple and quick meaning I can walk into the store with this phone and walk out with a new Note 7. I don't want another device such as an S7E or Iphone, I don't want to send my phone anywhere, I don't want to wait yet again for the Fed Ex guy. That's all I'm saying and given that I've had zero issues thus far I feel comfortable doing that. I'm not saying what anyone else should or shouldn't do. I would never do that.
    Going right now wouldn't help.

The others had zero issues until their phones exploded.
    09-02-2016 06:11 PM
    Definitely keeping mine
    No problems at all. I called Samsung today, they were able to tell me by my giving them the imei of my phone if my battery was part of those they deemed to be faulty and in need of replacement. I was told it was definitely not in the group of those needing replacement. So for now... I'm very happy!
    That is incorrect. Samsung Global, the manufacturer, has said all phones.
    09-02-2016 06:12 PM
    Every unit is being recalled. If your unit falls into that group, then yours is one 😊
    Any idea when the new and improved batch will be available?
    09-02-2016 06:23 PM
    Any idea when the new and improved batch will be available?
    Right now thru are saying two weeks, they started manufacturing them this week, it seems.
    09-02-2016 06:24 PM
77 1234