09-02-2016 06:27 PM
77 123 ...
tools
    I am not the only one who saw this, and you can check it out yourself. I just want to give people a breather. You may have a gap and it is working as intended. Some can fit paper, some can not (yet, or ever), but it is there.

Page 228 clearly states this information below, and if this isn't enough follow the link to the Samsung website to read it yourself.

A small gap appears around the outside of the device case
    This gap is a necessary manufacturing feature and some minor rocking or vibration of
    parts may occur.
    Over time, friction between parts may cause this gap to expand slightly.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...1.0_160817.pdf
    09-01-2016 04:34 AM
    Where, in that link, does it say that?

Edit: It's on page 228 of the manual.
    09-01-2016 05:11 AM
    Page 228
    09-01-2016 05:15 AM
    LOL. I looked and even tried to slip the paper in there and couldn't. So not even sure what they are talking about.

Sometimes I wonder if people literally take their phones, hold them up in the light, and start going over every inch of the device with a microscope or massive scientific glasses.

The obsessive compulsive disorder is amazing. Yeah if you get your phone and it's got scratches all over it sure.
    cwbcpa, SteelGator and libra89 like this.
    09-01-2016 06:25 AM
    LOL. I looked and even tried to slip the paper in there and couldn't. So not even sure what they are talking about.

Sometimes I wonder if people literally take their phones, hold them up in the light, and start going over every inch of the device with a microscope or massive scientific glasses.

The obsessive compulsive disorder is amazing. Yeah if you get your phone and it's got scratches all over it sure.
    I agree. It's amazing the things people come up with. Some of these threads are mind numbing.
    09-01-2016 06:39 AM
    Dang, I was still hoping it was a secret pico projector
    Delirious D likes this.
    09-01-2016 08:09 AM
    A gap in a phone is working as intended? I don't want to live in this reality anymore if this is true.

I've started to see weird random CRUD showing up in my "gap" that is "working as intended" crud that i can't get out no matter how hard i try, now it's visually annoying because when i'm looking at my phone i can see pieces of white stuff inside the "gap"
    anon(9408097) likes this.
    09-01-2016 08:12 AM

Was thinking the same, people act as they are stuck with it for life
    09-01-2016 08:15 AM
    I do not see any gap. Pico projector free.

Wish there was a gap though- aka battery cover for replaceable battery.
    09-01-2016 08:17 AM

I know right! Lol

Posted via my awesome N4
    09-01-2016 08:23 AM
    What's hard to understand is if it is "intended" why are some units gap free, and others can let the sheet of paper slip under the glass? That just doesn't make sense. If these are glued together parts (as I would suspect) is a future point of failure for the casing?

Trust me, I'm far from obsessive - the whole life of people obsessing over "light bleed" makes me want to puke, but this is a physical difference in the build of the same devices...
    09-01-2016 08:28 AM
    I am not the only one who saw this, and you can check it out yourself. I just want to give people a breather. You may have a gap and it is working as intended. Some can fit paper, some can not (yet, or ever), but it is there.

A small gap appears around the outside of the device case
    This gap is a necessary manufacturing feature and some minor rocking or vibration of
    parts may occur.
    Over time, friction between parts may cause this gap to expand slightly.

Thank you for finding this information.
    09-01-2016 08:31 AM

I agree. I would argue though, that most of the folks in forums like this have OCD, just to varying degrees. The true mass consumers of this technology are even less impacted and care less. I, and I'm sure most of you, have friends that don't understand or use their devices anywhere near to their capacity. They don't even know what to have OCD about. Sometime I wish I was blisfully unaware.
    09-01-2016 09:32 AM
    With your phone on a white webpage in a dark room, and with the brightness turned up fully....Look directly at the side of the phone above the volume buttons and along the length of the webpage on the screen....Do you see a small gap with light coming through below the black paint on the glass and the metal? See pic.

This is not a reflection due to the curved glass, and it is not a simple build quality issue due to black painted area not going down far enough.

Mine is an actual gap that I can stick a corner of a piece of paper into quite far. It also disappears when I press down on that side of the screen.

My wife got the same phone at the same time, and hers is the same!

Who else has this issue?

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/...psvrrsdn86.jpg
    For a $1000 device the quality control is very poor.
    09-01-2016 09:47 AM
    What's hard to understand is if it is "intended" why are some units gap free, and others can let the sheet of paper slip under the glass? That just doesn't make sense. If these are glued together parts (as I would suspect) is a future point of failure for the casing?

Trust me, I'm far from obsessive - the whole life of people obsessing over "light bleed" makes me want to puke, but this is a physical difference in the build of the same devices...
    Well I honestly think that the gap free owners are just not seeing it even though it's there.

I exchanged mine at the store yesterday (even went for the coral blue this time) and looked at a couple other units they had. Every single Note 7 there had a slight gap.

You can't trust people to report back findings with the same degree of consistency. Some owners might simply not be discerning enough to notice it, while others are too obsessive.

My old Note 7 had a gap but it was so minute that you'd be hard pressed to find it. Yet it was there. If Samsung to the time to mention the gap in the manual, best believe all Notes have one.
    09-01-2016 09:48 AM
    Page 228 of user manual
    A small gap appears around the outside of the device case •This gap is a necessary manufacturing feature and some minor rocking or vibration of parts may occur. •Over time, friction between parts may cause this gap to expand slightly

So not a defect...it's a feature
    I am happy this issue has been resolved.
    09-01-2016 10:12 AM
    I am sure those with the iPhone 6/6 Plus 64/128 GB versions are saying the same thing about their screens over at Apple ^_^.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-01-2016 10:16 AM
    So it's been determined that the gap is not only intentional, but an expected part of the mfg process. How is that poor quality control? Sounds like, accurate quality control to me.
    09-01-2016 10:21 AM

People love looking for controversy and clicks.
    09-01-2016 10:25 AM
    The White Knight Defending of this phone is borderline DISTURBING.

A gap in a phone is working as intended? I don't want to live in this reality anymore if this is true.

I've started to see weird random CRUD showing up in my "gap" that is "working as intended" crud that i can't get out no matter how hard i try, now it's visually annoying because when i'm looking at my phone i can see pieces of white stuff inside the "gap"
    You can always return it.
    akin_t likes this.
    09-01-2016 10:26 AM
    Black Onyx version here, I have the light bleed but there's no gap to fit paper. Not really going to effect me entirely too much as I use a case. I think it's just how the phone was designed.
    No chance at all the gap/light bleed was designed that way. It is a defect, as many don't have it. Mine didn't. If you're fine with it, great....but now would be the time to get yourself a new one that isn't defective in this way.
    cmilviper likes this.
    09-01-2016 10:28 AM
    Well I honestly think that the gap free owners are just not seeing it even though it's there.

I exchanged mine at the store yesterday (even went for the coral blue this time) and looked at a couple other units they had. Every single Note 7 there had a slight gap.

You can't trust people to report back findings with the same degree of consistency. Some owners might simply not be discerning enough to notice it, while others are too obsessive.

My old Note 7 had a gap but it was so minute that you'd be hard pressed to find it. Yet it was there. If Samsung to the time to mention the gap in the manual, best believe all Notes have one.
    And even if they all have a gap apparently it is normal (or at least how Samsung meant it to be when making it). We can disagree with that if we want but if they say "We know we did that and here is why" explains it way better than us thinking there is an actual gap as if the screen was coming apart.
    skatergirl likes this.
    09-01-2016 10:31 AM
    So it's been determined that the gap is not only intentional, but an expected part of the mfg process. How is that poor quality control? Sounds like, accurate quality control to me.
    Expected part of the mfg process? It's been determined? Please provide a link to the official statement from Samsung regarding the light bleed.
    09-01-2016 10:33 AM
    This topic makes me wonder about how the IP66 stuff works? it seems like this flaw particularly would make the phone non-compliant. Does the IP66 rating give us any benefit as far as claims?
    You are assuming that it is a flaw. Just because someone in a forum decided that it's a flaw doesn't make it one. I can see this light on my Black Onyx Note 7 and I've soaked my phone in water a few times to show that it can be done. No problems. As far as I know, not one person has actually had an issue related to this yet it has blown up this thread. Someone will stick something in that tiny crack and actually break the seal and then cry that the phone is defective. It will happen. I'm positive.

(stepping off soapbox now)
    Expected part of the mfg process? It's been determined? Please provide a link to the official statement from Samsung regarding the light bleed.
    See here - http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ot-defect.html.
77 123 ...