Help choosing between Samsung Pay and Android Pay....

clg82

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone. I'm new to the note7 coming from an iphone6s Plus (booooo I know) and so far my transition has been flawless! I love the phone so far but have one question about what everyone is using for their "pay" service....Which one is better to use Samsung Pay or Android pay and why do you prefer one over the other....thanks for any help!~Chris

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I prefer Samsung pay because its able to be used on almost any terminal even if they dont have nfc. Android pay has more card selections but 3 of my cards work in Samsung pay so Im good.

clg82

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Tyler....I was reading a little bit into Samsung pay and it looks like it's accepted at all NFC terminals as long as it uses your card correct?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Samsung Pay FTW!!! The fact that it works with older terminals is what makes it more appealing and useful, really. Android Pay just works with NFC-enabled terminals, and those aren't around much. Normal 'swipe your card' ones, however, are still pretty much everywhere and those will work with Samsung Pay.

Downside? Some banks aren't still on board with Samsung Pay (I'm looking at you, Capital One). Android Pay gets around this by using a 3rd party bank which is used for the purchase and then that bank charges your unsupported card (but you don't get charges notifications or promotional benefits from your card like bonus points for a certain category). Samsung Pay, however, doesn't have this 'workaround' so cards that aren't supported are just not supported.

Both can live in your phone, though, and you can select which one to use when paying.

Also, Samsung Pay has way more promotions going on.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Tyler....I was reading a little bit into Samsung pay and it looks like it's accepted at all NFC terminals as long as it uses your card correct?

Yes, and nope. Samsung Pay uses NFC as a backup. It first tries to use MST, which is the magic hardware used to emulate your actual card's magnetic stripe being swiped. If that doesn't work, it then tries with NFC. But like I said before, NFC terminals are still rare (which is why Android Pay isn't nearly as widely accepted; or any of the mobile wallet apps or even Apple Pay for that matter). We're going in that direction, but it's gonna be a few years before you see NFC terminals everywhere.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
As long as your bank is on Samsung Pay, I don't see any reason to choose Android pay over it.

As was mentioned though, you can set up both.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Samsung Pay all the way. Works on NFC readers and regular card readers that don't have NFC.

the block

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah so I'm going to have to call bull on Samsung Pay working on any/most credit card terminals. I've found ONE terminal so far that works. After holding up lines several times while I try to get my shiny new toy to work, I have suspended trying.

Last edited by a moderator:

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah so I'm going to have to call bull on Samsung Pay working on any/most credit card terminals. I've found ONE terminal so far that works. After holding up lines several times while I try to get my shiny new toy to work, I have suspended trying.

I am going to call bull "user error". I have been using it everyday. both the samsung promo $20 (gone now) and my local government federal credit union check card. I would see if you and or the cashier are doing it correctly.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site

I have been using android pay since 2012. I can assure you that happens with android too.

I have had problems with both, but I can say that after a few days, Samsung pay is objectively better. I'm using it now.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I use it all stores with terminals. NFC or not.

badgerfrisch

May 15, 2011
Visit site
If your bank/card is supported by Samsung Pay it is the way to go. It's still great when the store says "sorry we don't take apple pay" and then the terminal beeps.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site

Ive yet to have it fail and Ive been using it since the s7 edge released. I did have once where the phone didnt "ding" telling me it registered but the terminal said " card data collected" and the sale was done. Ive also had a lady at build a bear try and push my hand away from the terminal while using it saying "that doesnt work here" at which point she noticed on her screen the sale was processed and the receipt was printing. That lead to a 20 minute conversation of how I did what I did.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Samsung Pay FTW!!! The fact that it works with older terminals is what makes it more appealing and useful, really. Android Pay just works with NFC-enabled terminals, and those aren't around much. Normal 'swipe your card' ones, however, are still pretty much everywhere and those will work with Samsung Pay.

Downside? Some banks aren't still on board with Samsung Pay (I'm looking at you, Capital One). Android Pay gets around this by using a 3rd party bank which is used for the purchase and then that bank charges your unsupported card (but you don't get charges notifications or promotional benefits from your card like bonus points for a certain category). Samsung Pay, however, doesn't have this 'workaround' so cards that aren't supported are just not supported.

Both can live in your phone, though, and you can select which one to use when paying.

Also, Samsung Pay has way more promotions going on.
Android pay had a lot of promotions when it first came out... But yeah not anymore

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

If it's not working, I don't blame you for not trying anymore. I have used it in quite a few different stores over the last couple weeks with no issues at all. Then yesterday, I was at Subway, and we could not get it to work. I have used it there when I had my S7 Edge and I have used Apple Pay there as well. Like you, I didn't want to hold up a line so after two tries I gave up. I believe it was user error though. The employee was telling me that I had to place my phone on this "pad" for it do work. I have always just rested it against the area that I would slide my card.

The bottom line is that this technology is not even close to perfected and it is still just as fast for me to swipe my card at this point. I can't leave my cards at home just yet. I am certainly not going to hold up a line over it. I will continue to use it though when I can as it is fun to watch a cashiers expression after they tell me they don't do Apple Pay. Maybe I am immature, but I get a kick out of it. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay