Non-USA Carrier Note 7 Recall Thread

cynth.hgn

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
If you bought yours unlocked directly through Samsung like I did and not a carrier, I would suggest contacting Samsung Canada and giving them your information. Hopefully this helps speed up the process

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
So for Swisscom in Switzerland it goes like this: I got an SMS telling me that I have to immediately stop using the phone and return it to a Swisscom Store. I went there yesterday. They wanted to give me a full refund and then actually place a new order for an N7 that will be fulfilled once they become available again. This would have catapulted me to the end of a massive waiting queue. The store rep said that I'd probably get another one by mid November. I ended up keeping the phone for now - will try to talk to the management on Monday. They need to get their act together and give the people who had their phones recalled a new one BEFORE every other preorder has been fulfilled. I'm paying an insane 170$ per month for my contract and am treated like this? If they charge premium prices, I want premium service in return.

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I spoke with a rogers tech support today who was very adiment that I go in and get a loaner. Apparently a co-worker had his phone blow up as well. Means there are cases in Canada as well.

He also said I can bring my phone in and they would send it off to be repaired. I told him Samsung was sending out new units for replacement, not repairing and sending back

I try to avoid calling Rogers tech support about phones now because 90% of the time they always give me the wrong info or the runaround. You are entitled to a brand new replacement, so wait for that. Rogers is not losing money from this, Samsung is.

If there are cases in Canada that hasn't been reported (I'm not surprised) that explains why Rogers advised everyone to stop using their Note 7.

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
So for Swisscom in Switzerland it goes like this: I got an SMS telling me that I have to immediately stop using the phone and return it to a Swisscom Store. I went there yesterday. They wanted to give me a full refund and then actually place a new order for an N7 that will be fulfilled once they become available again. This would have catapulted me to the end of a massive waiting queue. The store rep said that I'd probably get another one by mid November. I ended up keeping the phone for now - will try to talk to the management on Monday. They need to get their act together and give the people who had their phones recalled a new one BEFORE every other preorder has been fulfilled. I'm paying an insane 170$ per month for my contract and am treated like this? If they charge premium prices, I want premium service in return.

Mid - November? That is not right. I agree, they need to replace all the recalled devices before fulfilling the rest of the preorders. Sounds like your carrier just wants to make more money by fulfilling the other preorders. I'm sure someone from management will be able to help you out.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I purchased my Coral Blue at SES Sherway Gardens.

No rush, not worried.

Isn't there a better chance of getting hit with a lightning than your Note 7 blowing up.

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
There is a risk of thunder storms on Thursday, sooooooo.... Lol. I'm not going to give any advice or my opinion on whether you should continue using your phone or not. If something happened I would feel horrible and be responsible. I did tell my brother what to do. Whether he listens to me it's up to him.

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Called Samsung Canada 800 726 7864 and was told that details regarding recalls of their online sales will be here in the next few days:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ace-current-note7-with-new-one&token=K7SPpZ2c

They said there have not been any issues with the Canadian online phones the Canadian phone IS SAFE TO USE! Mind you this tech support person was located in Dominican Republic and barely verbal in English so who knows if any of the foregoing is true.

EDIT: Also called 855 254 4747 and they confirmed the same thing i.e. that the Canadian device is safe to use if it isn't overheating and you are using the OEM charger. Details to come on the recall process.

Last edited:

anon(8709382)

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
I contacted Samsung as well online and they told me the same thing, there have been no reported issues with phones purchased through the Samsung store in Canada. Told me they will have more information about the replacement program shortly. I did ask for a timeline like days or week and all he said was their concern team is working rigorously and hopefully they will post it at the earliest. I just got my Note 7 on Sept. 2, so if I hear nothing before my 14 day return period its going back regardless.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I contacted Samsung as well online and they told me the same thing, there have been no reported issues with phones purchased through the Samsung store in Canada. Told me they will have more information about the replacement program shortly. I did ask for a timeline like days or week and all he said was their concern team is working rigorously and hopefully they will post it at the earliest. I just got my Note 7 on Sept. 2, so if I hear nothing before my 14 day return period its going back regardless.
Samsung Global said they will exchange all phones regardless of purchase date.

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
For those who got their Note 7 from Costco, they are offering a full refund or exchange for another phone. You have 30 days from the time of purchase and they highly recommend that you return it for safety reasons. I was asking about Rogers. I think the same applies to Bell since Costco only sell Rogers and Bell phones. They don't know when they will get a new batch.

For TELUS customers, please read the latest posting on Mobile Syrup.

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I was told today that they've changed into 30 days from 14.

Salinger

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
It is voluntary because Samsung is doing a voluntary recall and not through the government.

There is no such thing as a consumer mandatory recall here.

US people have been contacted because Samsung Global said all phones need to be exchanged. Samsung Canada is not up to speed.

That's the thing though, it isn't officially a "recall". It's a "product exchange program". Look at any official Samsung release on the topic and you'll never see or hear the word "recall". A recall has specific legal responsibilities, not the least of which is that it makes it illegal for any person or retailer to sell a product that has officially been recalled. It also bestows certain rights on consumers who have purchased the product.

So far, we really have no rights and are at the whim of Samsung as to how they want to handle this as it is a "voluntary" program at this point. That said, given the potential danger to person and property this defect may cause, government authorities will no doubt step in at some point and make it an official product recall whether Samsung wants it or not. Essentially, at some point, and I suspect sooner rather than later, it will be out of their hands.

While yes, this is somewhat unprecedented, and yes, I applaud Samsung for trying to act quickly, their response, at least in Canada, has been less than stellar to say the least. It appears purchasers in the US and UK have already received emails while Canadians have received nothing and calls/chats to SECA are seemingly pointless right now. Given the recall is essentially worldwide, there should be a consistent and uniform message going out to all consumers, not different communications dependant on which territory you happen to reside.

I'm still within the buyer's remorse period for my phone, even if it's not extended due to the "product replacement program" and I want a refund, not a replacement. I'll take my money back and then take my time and decide which phone I'm going to buy. My interactions with Samsung both on my initial order, and since this news has broken, has given me real pause for thought on how much confidence I have in their support (or lack of it) should I need it down the road.

Salinger

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I was told today that they've changed into 30 days from 14.

I have heard that elsewhere and I hope it's true. I feel Samsung really needs to be lenient with consumers in this situation and offering a refund option rather than just offering an exchange definitely needs to be available to customers.

Samsung Canada in particular, is definitely lacking when it comes to providing information. I know this situation is still developing, but we don't even have the basic information that other territories have been given. Go to the Samsung Canada website, and there's not even a mention of this issue; zero information on the replacement program whatsoever. Sorry, but that's completely unacceptable.

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I agree Samsung Canada has handled this situation poorly. Carriers, 3rd party stores., have different policies,. My brother returned his Note 7 to Costco today for a full refund because he didn't really have any other choices. They don't know when they will get the new batches. But what's upsetting is he lost all his preorder free gifts. So, what was the point of doing a preorder? I understand he returned it but he wasn't given an option other than to exchange it for a different phone. He still wants the Note 7 but again they don't know when they will get stock.
So as of now he's looking into maybe getting the OP3 and get the Note 7 a few months down the road. Samsung Canada needs to do a lot better than this to regain customers to buy the Note 7 again.