09-19-2016 11:42 AM
144 1234 ...
tools
    There is a risk of thunder storms on Thursday, sooooooo.... Lol. I'm not going to give any advice or my opinion on whether you should continue using your phone or not. If something happened I would feel horrible and be responsible. I did tell my brother what to do. Whether he listens to me it's up to him.
    09-03-2016 09:49 AM
    Called Samsung Canada 800 726 7864 and was told that details regarding recalls of their online sales will be here in the next few days:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=kCd53d4a

They said there have not been any issues with the Canadian online phones the Canadian phone IS SAFE TO USE! Mind you this tech support person was located in Dominican Republic and barely verbal in English so who knows if any of the foregoing is true.

EDIT: Also called 855 254 4747 and they confirmed the same thing i.e. that the Canadian device is safe to use if it isn't overheating and you are using the OEM charger. Details to come on the recall process.
    09-03-2016 01:26 PM
    Oh we get those same people here in the US. Ignore those reps, they never know what they are talking about.
    09-03-2016 02:53 PM
    Oh we get those same people here in the US. Ignore those reps, they never know what they are talking about.
    The Digital River reps are the worst of the worst.
    09-03-2016 03:21 PM
    The Digital River reps are the worst of the worst.
    At least we can get Samsung Plus here. Do you guys have that or is that only Samsung USA?

If you don't have the app, see if the Play Store has it for you.
    09-03-2016 03:29 PM
    I contacted Samsung as well online and they told me the same thing, there have been no reported issues with phones purchased through the Samsung store in Canada. Told me they will have more information about the replacement program shortly. I did ask for a timeline like days or week and all he said was their concern team is working rigorously and hopefully they will post it at the earliest. I just got my Note 7 on Sept. 2, so if I hear nothing before my 14 day return period its going back regardless.
    09-03-2016 03:40 PM
    I contacted Samsung as well online and they told me the same thing, there have been no reported issues with phones purchased through the Samsung store in Canada. Told me they will have more information about the replacement program shortly. I did ask for a timeline like days or week and all he said was their concern team is working rigorously and hopefully they will post it at the earliest. I just got my Note 7 on Sept. 2, so if I hear nothing before my 14 day return period its going back regardless.
    Samsung Global said they will exchange all phones regardless of purchase date.
    09-03-2016 03:56 PM
    For those who got their Note 7 from Costco, they are offering a full refund or exchange for another phone. You have 30 days from the time of purchase and they highly recommend that you return it for safety reasons. I was asking about Rogers. I think the same applies to Bell since Costco only sell Rogers and Bell phones. They don't know when they will get a new batch.

For TELUS customers, please read the latest posting on Mobile Syrup.
    09-03-2016 04:05 PM
    I was told today that they've changed into 30 days from 14.
    09-03-2016 05:14 PM
    Wouldn't the exchange time have no limit, as it is dependant on when the new ones are available?
    09-04-2016 05:19 PM
    Wouldn't the exchange time have no limit, as it is dependant on when the new ones are available?
    Sorry, I meant buyer's remorse policy not the recall time limit.
    cynth.hgn likes this.
    09-04-2016 05:32 PM
    It is voluntary because Samsung is doing a voluntary recall and not through the government.

There is no such thing as a consumer mandatory recall here.

US people have been contacted because Samsung Global said all phones need to be exchanged. Samsung Canada is not up to speed.
    That's the thing though, it isn't officially a "recall". It's a "product exchange program". Look at any official Samsung release on the topic and you'll never see or hear the word "recall". A recall has specific legal responsibilities, not the least of which is that it makes it illegal for any person or retailer to sell a product that has officially been recalled. It also bestows certain rights on consumers who have purchased the product.

So far, we really have no rights and are at the whim of Samsung as to how they want to handle this as it is a "voluntary" program at this point. That said, given the potential danger to person and property this defect may cause, government authorities will no doubt step in at some point and make it an official product recall whether Samsung wants it or not. Essentially, at some point, and I suspect sooner rather than later, it will be out of their hands.

While yes, this is somewhat unprecedented, and yes, I applaud Samsung for trying to act quickly, their response, at least in Canada, has been less than stellar to say the least. It appears purchasers in the US and UK have already received emails while Canadians have received nothing and calls/chats to SECA are seemingly pointless right now. Given the recall is essentially worldwide, there should be a consistent and uniform message going out to all consumers, not different communications dependant on which territory you happen to reside.

I'm still within the buyer's remorse period for my phone, even if it's not extended due to the "product replacement program" and I want a refund, not a replacement. I'll take my money back and then take my time and decide which phone I'm going to buy. My interactions with Samsung both on my initial order, and since this news has broken, has given me real pause for thought on how much confidence I have in their support (or lack of it) should I need it down the road.
    09-04-2016 06:43 PM
    I was told today that they've changed into 30 days from 14.
    I have heard that elsewhere and I hope it's true. I feel Samsung really needs to be lenient with consumers in this situation and offering a refund option rather than just offering an exchange definitely needs to be available to customers.

Samsung Canada in particular, is definitely lacking when it comes to providing information. I know this situation is still developing, but we don't even have the basic information that other territories have been given. Go to the Samsung Canada website, and there's not even a mention of this issue; zero information on the replacement program whatsoever. Sorry, but that's completely unacceptable.
    09-04-2016 07:06 PM
    I'm leaning towards getting a refund too at this stage. The v20 stats might put me over the edge.
    09-04-2016 07:12 PM
    I agree Samsung Canada has handled this situation poorly. Carriers, 3rd party stores., have different policies,. My brother returned his Note 7 to Costco today for a full refund because he didn't really have any other choices. They don't know when they will get the new batches. But what's upsetting is he lost all his preorder free gifts. So, what was the point of doing a preorder? I understand he returned it but he wasn't given an option other than to exchange it for a different phone. He still wants the Note 7 but again they don't know when they will get stock.
    So as of now he's looking into maybe getting the OP3 and get the Note 7 a few months down the road. Samsung Canada needs to do a lot better than this to regain customers to buy the Note 7 again.
    09-04-2016 07:37 PM
    That's the thing though, it isn't officially a "recall". It's a "product exchange program". Look at any official Samsung release on the topic and you'll never see or hear the word "recall". A recall has specific legal responsibilities, not the least of which is that it makes it illegal for any person or retailer to sell a product that has officially been recalled. It also bestows certain rights on consumers who have purchased the product.
    No it is a recall, a Voluntary recall which is different when the government forces a recall.
    09-04-2016 08:06 PM
    I agree Samsung Canada has handled this situation poorly. Carriers, 3rd party stores., have different policies,. My brother returned his Note 7 to Costco today for a full refund because he didn't really have any other choices. They don't know when they will get the new batches. But what's upsetting is he lost all his preorder free gifts. So, what was the point of doing a preorder? I understand he returned it but he wasn't given an option other than to exchange it for a different phone. He still wants the Note 7 but again they don't know when they will get stock.
    So as of now he's looking into maybe getting the OP3 and get the Note 7 a few months down the road. Samsung Canada needs to do a lot better than this to regain customers to buy the Note 7 again.
    He had to give them back? Even the one through samsung?

Still in debate if I want to take a loaner phone or just use mine until they send out the new units

Ever since the rogers support guy told me they were just sending it off for repair if I give it back right now. ive been reluctant
    09-04-2016 08:14 PM
    He had to give them back? Even the one through samsung?

Still in debate if I want to take a loaner phone or just use mine until they send out the new units

Ever since the rogers support guy told me they were just sending it off for repair if I give it back right now. ive been reluctant
    He had to give back the free stuff he got from Costco. I'm assuming he won't get the free gift from Samsung either because they go by IMEI per purchase.

For the price you paid for the phone, definitely get a brand new replacement. I forgot, did you get yours from the Samsung store?

The Rogers tech support guy is out to lunch. Rogers in general has handled this recall poorly. TELUS was first to post instructions on how they were going to handle the recall, which I'm not surprised.
    09-04-2016 09:08 PM
    I am pretty sure I read in the FAQ section for the Note 7 recall from Samsung saying you get to keep all your preorder goodies. I will try to find it and post it here because if they asked for it back, somebody's probably getting some freebies at your brother's expense.
    09-05-2016 12:13 AM
    He had to give back the free stuff he got from Costco. I'm assuming he won't get the free gift from Samsung either because they go by IMEI per purchase.

For the price you paid for the phone, definitely get a brand new replacement. I forgot, did you get yours from the Samsung store?

The Rogers tech support guy is out to lunch. Rogers in general has handled this recall poorly. TELUS was first to post instructions on how they were going to handle the recall, which I'm not surprised.
    I got mine through a rogers carrier
    09-05-2016 12:45 AM
    I am pretty sure I read in the FAQ section for the Note 7 recall from Samsung saying you get to keep all your preorder goodies. I will try to find it and post it here because if they asked for it back, somebody's probably getting some freebies at your brother's expense.
    That would be great if you can find it and post it on here. Thank you.
    09-05-2016 08:22 AM
    I got mine through a rogers carrier
    I try to avoid doing HUPS from Rogers directly because the majority of the time they always mess it up. Like in this situation I got the same answer as you did when I asked Rogers what the process was and they told me to send it out for repairs. Have you decided what you're going to do?
    09-05-2016 08:36 AM
    I try to avoid doing HUPS from Rogers directly because the majority of the time they always mess it up. Like in this situation I got the same answer as you did when I asked Rogers what the process was and they told me to send it out for repairs. Have you decided what you're going to do?
    Going to speak to a manager at Rogers and speak to a manager Samsung Canada as well. Get a proper confirmation that if I give my phone back for a loaner that I will be receiving a brand new phone in exchange when they come in. Not a repaired or refurb one
    09-05-2016 11:37 AM
    No it is a recall, a Voluntary recall which is different when the government forces a recall.
    Sorry, but no, it isn't. Recall is the word being used by media and blogs. A recall, even a voluntary one, is an entirely different thing than what is happening here. As I said, once you invoke a recall it initiates certain legal rights and responsibilities. Samsung has never told anyone to return their phone as it is a potential danger. They have said they will voluntarily replace your device with a new one. The implication being, they don't have to. If they issued a recall, even without government assistance or intervention, they would be obliged to have you return and replace your phone. It may seem like semantics, but there is a very important distinction here.

I have yet to see or be shown a single official Samsung statement on this matter where Samsung even mentions the word recall. If you've seen differently, please feel free to share. It is always referred to by Samsung, as a Product Exchange Program. It is not an official recall, but should be.
    09-05-2016 11:53 AM

Sorry, but no, it isn't. Recall is the word being used by media and blogs. A recall, even a voluntary one, is an entirely different thing than what is happening here. As I said, once you invoke a recall it initiates certain legal rights and responsibilities. Samsung has never told anyone to return their phone as it is a potential danger. They have said they will voluntarily replace your device with a new one. The implication being, they don't have to. If they issued a recall, even without government assistance or intervention, they would be obliged to have you return and replace your phone. It may seem like semantics, but there is a very important distinction here.

I have yet to see or be shown a single official Samsung statement on this matter where Samsung even mentions the word recall. If you've seen differently, please feel free to share. It is always referred to by Samsung, as a Product Exchange Program. It is not an official recall, but should be.
    Incorrect, Samsung used it and a Voluntary recall exists, nothing new, even if you aren't familiar with it. Most companies don't do a Voluntary recall, they wait until the government forces them.

I posted the legal information concerning voluntary recalls earlier in this thread.
    09-05-2016 12:10 PM
144 1234 ...