Note 7 recall and purchase from swappa/ eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
No it isn't BS, carriers aren't taking those phones and Samsung isn't either. There is also the matter of individual local sales, trades, etc.

If this becomes an official recall, these sellers have to help or face federal law.
What I mean is its BS is its BS that Samsung or the carrier is not taking care of it. Proof of purchase can be presented and carrier can track the IMEI number to see where it was purchased. Bottom line is Samsung should handle the third-party buyers recall direct.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I have 2 Note 7s. A black onyx that I bought directly from T-Mobile and a blue coral I bought off of Swappa. I will wait to exchange the black onyx, but I just filed the claim with PayPal this morning to return the blue coral to the seller. The seller originally told me to go to T-Mobile but I knew that wouldn't work. Then they told me I could send the phone back and they exchange and send me the new one. That's all well and good, but I paid good money for the device and there's no way I'm going to send it back and wait without some type of collateral. It's best to just get the money back and send the device back to the seller and take the chance of getting a new one when they are finally released. I don't think demand will be as high as it was prior to the recall.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
What I mean is its BS is its BS that Samsung or the carrier is not taking care of it. Proof of purchase can be presented and carrier can track the IMEI number to see where it was purchased. Bottom line is Samsung should handle the third-party buyers recall direct.
Oh.. Limited proof of purchase, I mean that could be forged. Samsung will have to figure out something for these people because Samsung wants these phones off the market.

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I have a NIB T-Mobile version I purchased off Swappa to be delivered tomorrow. I prefer not to go thru the hassle of returning it to the seller. I'm going to attempt to return it to T-Mobile. If it's a sealed box and the ESN is clean I don't see why T-Mobile won't exchange it. Maybe I'll even play the liability card. They can't let a customer leave the store with a possibly dangerous product.

I don't know this to be a fact, but I can easily see TMo telling you to pound sand. They are super particular about the ownership trail and if you aren't the original purchaser with a receipt, they will just say "nope." Good luck though. I'd be prepared to pursue the seller.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I don't know this to be a fact, but I can easily see TMo telling you to pound sand. They are super particular about the ownership trail and if you aren't the original purchaser with a receipt, they will just say "nope." Good luck though. I'd be prepared to pursue the seller.

They won't take them back unless you are the original purchaser of the device.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
It's not fair for someone who sold the phone before the problems were announced.
It is fair. The original purchaser is the only one who can exchange the device. When you sell a device, this is a risk you take, it is the cost of doing business.

If you don't want to take this risk, then don't sell devices, instead trade them in. You get a lot less money for them but no risk.

Or sell on Craig's List. However, anyone who would buy a phone off of CL's is a fool.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Oh.. Limited proof of purchase, I mean that could be forged. Samsung will have to figure out something for these people because Samsung wants these phones off the market.
Tracking the IMEI number will be enough proof that it's genuine Samsung. Samsung will have to address this eventually. As far as lost or stolen phones, I would suggest if you fall under those conditions to notify the carrier and have it added to that list and hope for the best. And Verizon can locate the original owner of such phone to confirm they sold it, they have done that for me before.

They can fill out the following form, but assume it will turn out them suggesting which carrier to go-to for return. I'm glad I am not involved in something like this. I'll be avoiding selling or buying phones on eBay or swappa now. Saving a $100 or so isn't worth it

http://origin2.samsung.com/au/galaxy-note7-notice/

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I have a NIB T-Mobile version I purchased off Swappa to be delivered tomorrow. I prefer not to go thru the hassle of returning it to the seller. I'm going to attempt to return it to T-Mobile. If it's a sealed box and the ESN is clean I don't see why T-Mobile won't exchange it. Maybe I'll even play the liability card.
TMobile isn't liable for this, it is Samsung. If the device were to catch on fire and you were injured, you would not be able to sue TMobile. It would be a products liability case against the manufacturer, which is Samsung. And since you have been warned of the issue and clearly know about it, you wouldn't have a case against Samsung either.

Samsung should step up to the plate and let anyone who is in possession of a Note7 (that has not been reported lost/stolen) participate in the exchange program through Samsung directly. But until they do that, your best course of action is to return the device to the seller for a refund.

They can't let a customer leave the store with a possibly dangerous product.
Sure they can. They didn't sell it to you and they didn't manufacture it and aren't responsible for the defect. Moreover, you clearly know the device is defective and if you choose to use it, you have assumed the risk. They don't have to exchange it if you are not the original purchaser. They can tell you not to use it and if you ignore that advice, that is your folly.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
TMobile isn't liable for this, it is Samsung. Samsung should step up to the plate and let anyone who is in possession of a Note7 (that has not been reported lost/stolen) participate in the exchange program through Samsung directly.

I called Samsung yesterday and they said I have to go through carrier if I purchased directly from them, or go to the third party seller if I purchased through them. As of now they have no plans of taking anything back unless it was purchased from Samsung Direct. While I don't agree with that, that's what it is for now.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Tracking the IMEI number will be enough proof that it's genuine Samsung. Samsung will have to address this eventually. As far as lost or stolen phones, I would suggest if you fall under those conditions to notify the carrier and have it added to that list and hope for the best. And Verizon can locate the original owner of such phone to confirm they sold it, they have done that for me before.

They can fill out the following form, but assume it will turn out them suggesting which carrier to go-to for return. I'm glad I am not involved in something like this. I'll be avoiding selling or buying phones on eBay or swappa now. Saving a $100 or so isn't worth it

http://origin2.samsung.com/au/galaxy-note7-notice/
This is exactly a good reason not to go individual sales. Even if you can deal with warranty through Samsung, you have to ship your phone off, there is no carrier warranty exchange if your phone just dies one day.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I called Samsung yesterday and they said I have to go through carrier if I purchased directly from them, or go to the third party seller if I purchased through them. As of now they have no plans of taking anything back unless it was purchased from Samsung Direct. While I don't agree with that, that's what it is for now.
Yes, that is why everyone who bought off of swappa and ebay needs to return the devices to the sellers. I think in this case, the easiest, quickest thing is for the buyer to offer to pay return shipping.

If the sellers won't accept the return, then as a buyer, I would dispute with paypal.

But I think you need to pay for return shipping if you are the buyer and accept that as the risk you took when you bought at at discount off of swappa or ebay.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
This is exactly a good reason not to go individual sales. Even if you can deal with warranty through Samsung, you have to ship your phone off, there is no carrier warranty exchange if your phone just dies one day.
Carrier warranty exchanges through Verizon are complete crap devices. Many times the CLNRs devices are worse off than the one you sent back.

I would NEVER get a CLNR from Verizon and would only deal directly with the manufacturer for warranty exchanges. Just make sure you have a back up device. You can buy cheap backup devices off of swappa. Everyone should have a backup device, if you don't you are foolish. Your device can be lost/stolen at any time. If your phone is that important to you, either don't sell/trade in your old phone and keep it as a backup or buy a used device off of swappa as a backup.

I can't be without a phone so I have a backup device.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Carrier warranty exchanges through Verizon are complete crap devices. Many times the CLNRs devices are worse off than the one you sent back.

I would NEVER get a CLNR from Verizon and would only deal directly with the manufacturer for warranty exchanges. Just make sure you have a back up device. You can buy cheap backup devices off of swappa. Everyone should have a backup device, if you don't you are foolish. Your device can be lost/stolen at any time. If your phone is that important to you, either don't sell/trade in your old phone and keep it as a backup or buy a used device off of swappa as a backup.

I can't be without a phone so I have a backup device.
Samsung doesn't do warranty exchange devices unless you bought direct from Samsung.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Bought mine on swappa seller will not help me said he doesnt have the cash to refund filed a claim with PayPal they sided with me seller has 14 days to respond if not PayPal will give me my money and I keep phone if seller responds I will send phone back woth tracking give tracking to PayPal and they will refund money to my card
Good to hear. These sellers have to accept the fact that this is the cost of doing business. You were a legit buyer and aren't trying to scam anyone. The device is defective and the terms of the exchange program require the original purchaser to take the device back to where they purchased from to exchange it. You have no control over that.

I sell on swappa and I wouldn't hesitate to take a phone back under these circumstances. It is the right thing to do.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Samsung doesn't do warranty exchange devices unless you bought direct from Samsung.

Yes they do. I have done them. You have to pay the shipping to send the device to them. Then they fix it or replace with a refurb and they pay the return shipping. It takes awhile though since they prefer for you to do it through the carriers.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Yes, that is why everyone who bought off of swappa and ebay needs to return the devices to the sellers. I think in this case, the easiest, quickest thing is for the buyer to offer to pay return shipping.

If the sellers won't accept the return, then as a buyer, I would dispute with paypal.

But I think you need to pay for return shipping if you are the buyer and accept that as the risk you took when you bought at at discount off of swappa or ebay.

I've already filed the claim with PayPal. That is the process. File the claim, the buyer returns the device and provides tracking, the. PayPal refunds the money once the device is received. I've notified Swappa and the seller. The seller has not responded since I requested to return the device, so I am hoping they don't make this more difficult than it needs to be.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I've already filed the claim with PayPal. That is the process. File the claim, the buyer returns the device and provides tracking, the. PayPal refunds the money once the device is received. I've notified Swappa and the seller. The seller has not responded since I requested to return the device, so I am hoping they don't make this more difficult than it needs to be.

The seller may try to make it difficult but if so, the device is defective and unusable given the hazards. And unfortunately, only the original buyer can exchange it for a replacement, thus necessitating the return. The seller doesn't have any legitimate reason to refuse the return. The fact that the listing said no returns won't protect them in this kind of situation.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes they do. I have done them. You have to pay the shipping to send the device to them. Then they fix it or replace with a refurb and they pay the return shipping. It takes awhile though since they prefer for you to do it through the carriers.
Then you are special or they started that in the last weeks. They have ever a very specific thing that has to be followed after the same repair three times on a device and then they will consider it.

I am very familiar with Samsung and in contact with Samsung over a similar issue. Samsung will repair. I know, my Note 5 has been there 3 times since June. I have been escalated to the executive office and they had been handling everything and have a plan in place.

If you call them, you send in your device, end of story.

They pay the shipping and it is two day shipping, they send you a label.

I am able to get free one day shipping both ways every time I call because they know me.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
If I were the seller I would move fast on this so I can return the phone or do the exchange.

Chances are a lot of sellers spent the money, they aren't Verizon with a bank account full of money. I know not your problem, but that's the way it is. If you are close enough to each other maybe can meet at the store so buyer can do the exchange. This solution would be more likely for Craigslist buyers.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Then you are special or they started that in the last weeks.
You just have to be persistent. In the US, the manufacturer must honor the warranty. There are federal laws on this. At a minimum, they must honor the warranty 1 year from the date of manufacture, but if you have the original sales receipt showing the date of purchase, they must honor it for 1 year from the date of purchase.

I register my devices with samsung.com and indicate the date of purchase during registration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084