Note 7 recall and purchase from swappa/ eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Chances are a lot of sellers spent the money, they aren't Verizon with a bank account full of money.
So what, this is the cost of doing business. If they didn't want to take this risk, they could have returned the device for refund.

The fact of the matter is that a lot of the Verizon Note7's for sale on swappa and ebay are from people who bought from Best Buy and Costco under the BOGOF offer and they are flipping the phone at a profit.

Many of them are still being financed too.

In fact, anyone who bought a Verizon Note7 off of ebay/swappa should get an appraisal of their IMEI on Verizon's site here:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com/device-recycle/?custType=1&token=0jHEb0Bj

It will tell you if the device is paid off or not. If the device is not paid off that is YET ANOTHER REASON FOR A REFUND. Swappa doesn't allow financed devices to be sold and if the seller is selling you a device that is not yet paid off, they are selling an "item not as described." And if you bought off of ebay, the seller is obligated to disclose that the phone is still being financed. If they didn't, then it is "item not as described" because failing to mention that a device is still being financed is deceptive.

I sell on swappa and all of my devices are fully paid off when I sell them. Not every swappa seller is as honest as me and unfortunately, swappa doesn't currently block Verizon devices that are still being financed.

For AT&T, I believe you can tell if a devices is still being financed if you do an online unlock request.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
The seller may try to make it difficult but if so, the device is defective and unusable given the hazards. And unfortunately, only the original buyer can exchange it for a replacement, thus necessitating the return. The seller doesn't have any legitimate reason to refuse the return. The fact that the listing said no returns won't protect them in this kind of situation.
Also there is no reason to have communication with the seller if you don't want to. Just file the claim and work through PayPal. There is nothing the seller can do to make it difficult, although I would recommend taking pictures and a video of the device working as you put it into the box to ship back just to be extra safe (include the return label in the pictures so it's clear when the picture was taken).

Even if the seller closes their bank account PayPal will still refund you then they will sue the seller to recover the money. (PayPal used to ignore negative balances but in recent years will use legal means to recover debts).

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
You just have to be persistent. In the US, the manufacturer must honor the warranty. There are federal laws on this. At a minimum, they must honor the warranty 1 year from the date of manufacture, but if you have the original sales receipt showing the date of purchase, they must honor it for 1 year from the date of purchase.

I register my devices with samsung.com and indicate the date of purchase during registration.

I know what I'm talking about Sarah. The warranty is to repair or replace at their discretion. It is not often at their discretion.

They do not do warranty exchanges, they do repairs unless it is beyond any possible repair.

I have been a Samsung only customer longer than the Smartphone has existed. I am familiar enough with this process, due to over 25 Samsung phones I have purchased and have registered. When I call Samsung, they seriously greet me by first name before I speak.

You call Samsung, you will send your phone for repair. By the third repair for the same issue, IF you complain and demand, they will start the process to replace the device.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
So what, this is the cost of doing business. If they didn't want to take this risk, they could have returned the device for refund.

The fact of the matter is that a lot of the Verizon Note7's for sale on swappa and ebay are from people who bought from Best Buy and Costco under the BOGOF offer and they are flipping the phone at a profit.

Many of them are still being financed too.

In fact, anyone who bought a Verizon Note7 off of ebay/swappa should get an appraisal of their IMEI on Verizon's site here:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com/device-recycle/?custType=1&token=S7WYHvYN

It will tell you if the device is paid off or not. If the device is not paid off that is YET ANOTHER REASON FOR A REFUND. Swappa doesn't allow financed devices to be sold and if the seller is selling you a device that is not yet paid off, they are selling an "item not as described." And if you bought off of ebay, the seller is obligated to disclose that the phone is still being financed. If they didn't, then it is "item not as described" because failing to mention that a device is still being financed is deceptive.

I sell on swappa and all of my devices are fully paid off when I sell them. Not every swappa seller is as honest as me and unfortunately, swappa doesn't currently block Verizon devices that are still being financed.

For AT&T, I believe you can tell if a devices is still being financed if you do an online unlock request.
all the more reason I'm glad I'm not involved in third party purchases this time around. We all know the its the cost of doing business is vague in these situations. Average Joe is trying to make a fast buck to pay a bill of make ends meet. Your dealing with people that don't have money.

Swappa and eBay are dead to me for selling, buying very limited if at all, I dodged a bullet this time, not going to take a chance of getting hit next time.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Your dealing with people that don't have money.
So what. The buyer isn't a bank either to finance poor people who flip phones on swappa.

If someone doesn't have money, how are they buying $900 phones to flip on swappa? What you are saying makes no sense at all.

All swappa and ebay buyers of the Note7's should FILE A PAYPAL DISPUTE IMMEDIATELY. Do not listen to anyone who is trying to make you feel sorry for a seller flipping phones. The seller was trying to make a fast buck likely with the BOGOF offer. The buyer shouldn't get shafted and should NOT CARE ONE IOTA if the seller is a financially irresponsible person. That is THEIR problem and they should not be flipping $900 phones if they can't afford to deal with the consequences of that.

You obviously have sold phones and that is why you are giving this sob story about poor people selling on ebay/swappa. That is your problem but not the buyer's problem.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I dodged a bullet this time
This makes no sense at all either. The seller will get the phone back and be able to exchange it for a fixed Note7 and turn around and sell it. Or if they bought from Verizon for instance, they can return for a refund with no restocking fee until 9/30/16 and lose nothing but the shipping costs.

They will get their paypal and swappa fees refunded. The only loss they take is the shipping fees. Well that is the cost of doing business and if you can't afford to take a $25 hit for shipping, you should not be flipping $900 phones. If you need money so badly, then get a second job, don't flip $900 phones.

Most of these sellers got in on the BOGOF deal and are not only going to be able to sell the fixed Note7 that they get but they are going to get a $672 VISA gift card to boot. And if they bought from Best Buy, they also got a $200 BB gift card for the new Verizon line they opened. AND THE FREEBIES TOO!!!! They can likely sell the free GF2 or 256GB SD card for a net of $100.

The sellers are still going to make a tidy profit off of the deal. No one needs to feel sorry for them.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
So what. The buyer isn't a bank either to finance poor people who flip phones on swappa.

If someone doesn't have money, how are they buying $900 phones to flip on swappa? What you are saying makes no sense at all.

All swappa and ebay buyers of the Note7's should FILE A PAYPAL DISPUTE IMMEDIATELY. Do not listen to anyone who is trying to make you feel sorry for a seller flipping phones. They were trying to make a fast buck but the buyer shouldn't get shafted and should NOT CARE ONE IOTA if the seller is a financially irresponsible person. That is THEIR problem and they should not be flipping phones if they can't afford to deal with the consequences of that.
What I've been saying all along, Samsung is the blame here. They know all these phones were bought from them or a authorized dealer, a simple IMEI number check will confirm the history of that phone. It doesn't matter if it's the original owner or not, it's a note 7. Samsung should handle the recalls of third party phones directly. Not doing so will leave some of the bad phones out there being used. I can understand carriers not doing it, but I don't understand Samsung not doing it.

And I'm not trying to make them feel sorry for the sellers. I'm just pointing out why the the sellers are clamming up. I have said that if I was the seller I would be pushing for a very fast return so I can exchange or return it.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
This makes no sense at all either. The seller will get the phone back and be able to exchange it for a fixed Note7 and turn around and sell it. Or if they bought from Verizon for instance, they can return for a refund with no restocking fee until 9/30/16 and lose nothing but the shipping costs.

They will get their paypal and swappa fees refunded. The only loss they take is the shipping fees. Well that is the cost of doing business and if you can't afford to take a $25 hit for shipping, you should not be flipping $900 phones. If you need money so badly, then get a second job, don't flip $900 phones.

Most of these sellers got in on the BOGOF deal and are not only going to be able to sell the fixed Note7 that they get but they are going to get a $672 VISA gift card to boot. And if they bought from Best Buy, they also got a $200 BB gift card for the new Verizon line the opened. AND THE FREEBIES TOO!!!! They can likely sell the free GF2 or 256GB SD card for a net of $100.

The sellers are still going to make a tidy profit off of the deal. No one needs to feel sorry for them.
Well I'll explain it to you better. I dodged a bullet because I don't have to deal with a third party. I just call or walk into Verizon and leave with a new phone. Easy peasy.... No seller to deal with, no PayPal disputes which take time no stress. Hope that explains I dodged a bullet better.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I'm just pointing out why the the sellers are clamming up.
Read on the Slick Deals Note7 threads and you will see why these sellers are going to come out ahead on this no matter what. There is no reason at all for them not to take the phones back, they will still make a profit. The problem is that these people are so freakin' greedy that they don't even want to take the $25 loss in shipping charges. Reading on SD sometimes makes me sick at my stomach the people there are so greedy and cheap.

Any Note7 that was sold w/in the first 2 weeks was eligible for a refund. Why would anyone sell it when they could have returned it for a refund? Because they were making a hefty profit off of the deal. If you opened 2 new Verizon lines through BB, you got $400 in BB gift cards plus freebie x 2, which you could net about $200 for. So that right there is $600.

Then they will get the $672 VISA, so now we are up to $1272. Then they likely netted close to $700 for each Note7 they sold, now that comes to $2672. If they paid $915 for each one when you factor in the sales tax (the activation fees were waived the first weekend), they profited $842 off of the deal.

They do have to pay for service for 6 months but presumably they will use the lines so they would be paying for them anyhow. But even if the lines are sitting idle, they are only $20/mo each to add a line to a plan, with taxes/fees that comes to about $270 for 6 months for 2 lines. So they still would make $572 off of the deal even if they never even used the lines they added.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Read on the Slick Deals Note7 threads and you will see why these sellers are going to come out ahead on this no matter what. There is no reason at all for them not to take the phones back, they will still make a profit. The problem is that these people are so freakin' greedy that they don't even want to take the $25 loss in shipping charges. Reading on SD sometimes makes me sick at my stomach the people there are so greedy and cheap.

Any Note7 that was sold w/in the first 2 weeks was eligible for a refund. Why would anyone sell it when they could have returned it for a refund? Because they were making a hefty profit off of the deal. If you opened 2 new Verizon lines through BB, you got $400 in BB gift cards plus freebie x 2, which you could net about $200 for. So that right there is $600.

Then they will get the $672 VISA, so now we are up to $1272. Then they likely netted close to $700 for each Note7 they sold, now that comes to $2672. If they paid $915 for each one when you factor in the sales tax (the activation fees were waived the first weekend), they profited $842 off of the deal.

They do have to pay for service for 6 months but presumably they will use the lines so they would be paying for them anyhow. But even if the lines are sitting idle, they are only $20/mo each to add a line to a plan, with taxes/fees that comes to about $270 for 6 months for 2 lines. So they still would make $572 off of the deal even if they never even used the lines they added.
Because of what you said so what to. They don't have the money to cover the refund. It's not just covering the shipping. This is a lesson for buyers and sellers, simple as that

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Because of what you said so what to. They don't have the money to cover the refund.
This makes no sense. When a buyer purchased the phone let's say for $750, the seller received $750 - $10 swappa fee - 3% paypal fee = $718 cash in their paypal account.

Then if the seller shipped priority mail with full insurance, they paid about $23, so now they are down to $695 cash. If they process a refund, the swappa fee and paypal fee will be reversed so they will get those back, now we are back up to $727 cash that they have.

So if the buyer gets refunded $750, all the seller has to do is add in another $23 to the $727 to get to $750. Like I said, they will only be out the shipping costs.

You aren't making any sense at all. They have the money to cover everything in their paypal account except the $23 in shipping costs.

Have you ever processed a refund through swappa? I have. This is how it works. You only lose the shipping costs.

They will then be able to exchange the Note7 for a fixed Note7 and turn around and sell it. Or if they bought from Verizon, return for a full refund, no restocking fee.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
This makes no sense. When a buyer purchased the phone let's say for $750, the seller received $750 - $10 swappa fee - 3% paypal fee = $718 cash in their paypal account.

Then if the seller shipped priority mail with full insurance, they paid about $23, so now they are down to $695 cash. If they process a refund, the swappa fee and paypal fee will be reversed so they will get those back, now we are back up to $727 cash that they have.

So if the buyer gets refunded $750, all the seller has to do is add in another $23 to the $727 to get to $750. Like I said, they will only be out the shipping costs.

You aren't making any sense at all. They have the money to cover everything in their paypal account except the $23 in shipping costs.

Have you ever processed a refund through swappa? I have. This is how it works. You only lose the shipping costs.

They will then be able to exchange the Note7 for a fixed Note7 and turn around and sell it. Or if they bought from Verizon, return for a full refund, no restocking fee.
I have. If the seller transferred the money from PayPal there is no money in the account if the seller spent it. I'm not looking at it for someone to capitalize from it, I'm, looking at it that the seller shouldn't even need to be involved, Samsung should just do the recall its a safety recall not a luxury recall.

I really don't care this much about it, so I'll leave it here and what you said.

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
WOW, I read this whole thread. (Thanks for keeping it interesting. LoL) Now I don't feel bad about buying from AT&T, got a full refund.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
WOW, I read this whole thread. (Thanks for keeping it interesting. LoL) Now I don't feel bad about buying from AT&T, got a full refund.
The Note7 was $915 with sales tax on DPP and if you had to pay the upgrade fee, $935. If you bought a Note7 off of swappa for $750, then you saved $185. You can use that savings to buy a case, screen protector and the Samsung Protection Plus policy. So I can see why people want to do it.

However, just like there are risks selling on swappa/ebay, there are risks buying. I really don't see this issue as much of a risk to the buyer due to the paypal buyer protection. The buyers will be out return shipping, which isn't bad. And the seller will be fine too, they will get to exchange for a fixed Note7 and be able to sell that and all they will have lost is the shipping costs. Or course the resale value of this device will go down but again, flipping phones is not risk free. Typically something like this doesn't happen.

The other thing people can do if they are on Verizon is during open enrollment for the insurance, enroll their device. Then they are covered for warranty, extended warranty and insurance through the carrier. It is deductible free for warranty claims. Through Verizon Total Equipment Protection it about $10/mo including taxes and fees, which if you saved $185 would cover it for about 18 months.

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
The Note7 was $915 with sales tax on DPP and if you had to pay the upgrade fee, $935. If you bought a Note7 off of swappa for $750, then you saved $185. You can use that savings to buy a case, screen protector and the Samsung Protection Plus policy. So I can see why people want to do it.

However, just like there are risks selling on swappa/ebay, there are risks buying. I really don't see this issue as much of a risk to the buyer due to the paypal buyer protection. The buyers will be out return shipping, which isn't bad. And the seller will be fine too, they will get to exchange for a fixed Note7 and be able to sell that and all they will have lost is the shipping costs. Or course the resale value of this device will go down but again, flipping phones is not risk free. Typically something like this doesn't happen.

The other thing people can do if they are on Verizon is during open enrollment for the insurance, enroll their device. Then they are covered for warranty, extended warranty and insurance through the carrier. It is deductible free for warranty claims. Through Verizon Total Equipment Protection it about $10/mo including taxes and fees, which if you saved $185 would cover it for about 18 months.

Except I used the Next plan, paid $85 in taxes and a $45 activation/upgrade fee both in my opinion is wrong. But when I returned the phone I got the tax back, and I then used the chat feature on AT&T and after a few minutes I convinced that the $45 charge was wrong, and she credited my account for that, and also noted on my account that when I order my new Note 7 that there is to be no $45 fee. (Will have to wait and see.) but not going to buy a really expensive phone off a third party source unless it comes out to 1/2 price and I have that much laying around. And this fiasco just gives me more satisfaction that I got to use a great phone and didn't cost me a penny.

Cyberguycpt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
It's sounds like their are a few sellers in this thread trying to persuade people to not return their phones. Lol.

My advise is if you were lucky enough to buy off eBay or Swappa Hurry up and return, I kind of feel bad for those that bought of Craigslist.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
It's sounds like their are a few sellers in this thread trying to persuade people to not return their phones. Lol.
Don't refer to me as a seller, I'm neither seller or buyer from swappa. I just think Samsung should just do the recall for the buyer. Just my opinion. I won't be buying or selling on swappa or eBay anymore, glad I don't do it much anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21