Best Buy Note 7 Recall Thread

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
That and they are doing the bare minimum to assist customers by forcing them to keep another version or to have no phone at all.

I do not believe anybody is going to give you a loaner phone for free because you have a problem with the product you have.

If you had INsurance, they might have a clause in their policies. But I wouldn't bank on it.
Another reason to keep the newest Old phone you have when you get a new phone..

Petrichor61

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
I returned today no problem. Brought back the phone and free gift. No restocking fee.

According to the Bestbuy.com rep I spoke with the free gift was yours to keep. Have the store call Bestbuy.com to confirm. He read directly from their internal messages.

Last edited:

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I do not believe anybody is going to give you a loaner phone for free because you have a problem with the product you have.

If you had INsurance, they might have a clause in their policies. But I wouldn't bank on it.
Another reason to keep the newest Old phone you have when you get a new phone..
At&t is doing just that, giving loaners that can be returned for a new Note 7 unless you damage the loaner.

totaled

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I got a S7 Edge from Best Buy.

A few months later I was having a problem with it.
I called At&T tech support on the phone.
They went threw a few things with me.
Said we are sending you another S7Edge.
You have time to transfer everything from your old phone to your new phone.
Put the OLd phone in the box with the label and send it back to us.
Might be a good idea to put some insurance on the old phone.
When we get the old phone back, We will credit your account

So what you said is if you buy a At&t phone at Best Buy , A At&t can't help you with the phone.
That is incorrect.
It was a At&t phone and they will help you.

I think he meant walking into a physical AT&T store and having it exchanged --- I know for a fact that my local AT&T company store will not exchange a phone purchased at any other retailer.. I too have had phones purchased from Best Buy fail and upon calling AT&T support just as you did, they sent me a new/refurb.

Petrichor61

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
According to Bestbuy.com the loaner phone is actually a swap. They will refund the difference in cost. Again, the free gifts are supposed yo be ours to keep.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I think he meant walking into a physical AT&T store and having it exchanged --- I know for a fact that my local AT&T company store will not exchange a phone purchased at any other retailer.. I too have had phones purchased from Best Buy fail and upon calling AT&T support just as you did, they sent me a new/refurb.

Sorry !
I walked into a At&t corporate store.
They gave me a business card with a phone number .
Told me to call the phone number and they would take care of me directly.
That is how they tole me it is handled.
The people I called with At&t said if the phone had been dropped. I would be charged for another phone also.

So it don't look like if you dropped your phone that you will be covered.
These phones regardless what they are made out of are not made to be dropped.
I've got countless friends that has dropped Apple phones & other phones in front of me.
It hit the concrete and all.
Broke the screen.
I said, Man Please you got butter on your fingers..

totaled

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I've got countless friends that has dropped Apple phones & other phones in front of me.
It hit the concrete and all.
Broke the screen.
I said, Man Please you got butter on your fingers..

I know what you mean --- my wife dropped her 3 week old iphone 6s and the screen shattered..

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
It appears that because they didnt read it, thats why we are in the mess to begin with. They allowed each retailer to create their own variation of guidlines when it comes to handling the recall and its allowed choas and confusion. The consumer is the one who gets to deal with the disaster now because places like best buy are using their own interpretation of how a recall should be handled and what they are going to do to assist customers, its worse than necessary.

The first place that is to blame is Samsung for not handling the recall directly. It would have been much easier but they passed the buck. Then the retailers decided to make up their own rules to take as little financial responsibility as possible. Even individual stores arent following their own corporate policies at this point. The only people dealing with the disaster though is consumers. If the Stores dont get on board and do what needs to be done this will turn into a government backed recall and the exchanges will come to a halt. It will take forever to get a replacement.

Agreed Samsung shares the majority of the blame as it is very obvious that they didn't work with the US retailers to establish a consistent exchange process and have it ready to release to the public.

I got the run around for 2 days because no one knew what to do and ... they were all passing the buck to the next.

However - I also believe this is a much larger problem than what is being publicized and I seriously doubt any of the (35 out of X) numbers being reported. I know of at least one local report in the US not included in these statistics - and I think it was only a matter of (very short) time where batteries began exploding more often. I think this is why Samsung pulled the trigger so quickly - they had no choice and they had to act quickly before someone was seriously hurt.

That being said - retailers should be doing everything they can to get these devices out of customers hands. At least some have started to do the right thing.

I'm just waiting now for the first lawsuit where someone got hurt and BB didn't allow the return.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm just waiting now for the first lawsuit where someone got hurt and BB didn't allow the return.

That portion right there is why people need to report to corporate which store is doing this. Best buy is notorious for making up its own rules on a store by store basis. Restocking fees are a prime example. The have been removed by corporate for 5 years and I still see individual stores trying to apply them. There was a recall with Dyson heaters a couple years ago that stores in my area were refusing to take back. The CPSC was involved in the recall and still, store manager refused to return them until they were reprimanded by corporate.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Agreed Samsung shares the majority of the blame as it is very obvious that they didn't work with the US retailers to establish a consistent exchange process and have it ready to release to the public.

I got the run around for 2 days because no one knew what to do and ... they were all passing the buck to the next.

However - I also believe this is a much larger problem than what is being publicized and I seriously doubt any of the (35 out of X) numbers being reported. I know of at least one local report in the US not included in these statistics - and I think it was only a matter of (very short) time where batteries began exploding more often. I think this is why Samsung pulled the trigger so quickly - they had no choice and they had to act quickly before someone was seriously hurt.

That being said - retailers should be doing everything they can to get these devices out of customers hands. At least some have started to do the right thing.

Its probably like telling a Story.
Samsung probably told everybody what do do. But as the story got told over and over it changed.
And that is where more people had no idea what the policy was.
You got to realize.
People just working in a Store can't just take it on themselves and do whatever.
They have to ask a manager.
Elsewise they will loose their jobs.
And it seem like today, just because there is a problem.
Everybody wants everybody else's Job.
Just to show them.

mmsean

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
At&t is doing just that, giving loaners that can be returned for a new Note 7 unless you damage the loaner.

Blame AT&T for not following Samsung policy. Samsung Policy does not explicitly state that they will provide loaner phones. So it's AT&T who is going above and beyond the Samsung policy, and now people are expecting this from other retailers. Makes no sense to me. Do remember that Best Buy also gave out free gifts on day of purchase for pre-orders where no one else was doing that. I didn't hear any complaints about that.

mmsean

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
That and they are doing the bare minimum to assist customers by forcing them to keep another version or to have no phone at all.

So you're complaining that BB is not following Samsung policy, which I agree with. However then you're complaining again because when they do follow policy you're complaining as well? You're not serious right? Explain so I can understand.

This is BestBuy:

Galaxy Note7 Exchange Program Information

We have stopped selling the Samsung Note7. You can visit a Best Buy store to return or exchange your device, without a restocking fee. You will have the option to replace it with a new Note7 when they become available.

If you have already purchased a Samsung Note7 from Best Buy and do not feel comfortable using it, you have a few options:
1.Exchange current Galaxy Note7 device with a new Galaxy Note7 (when product becomes available).
2.Exchange current Galaxy Note7 for a Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge and replacement of any Note7-specific accessories with a refund of the price difference between devices.
3.Return your Note7 and receive a full refund.

As a gesture of appreciation, you will receive a $25 bill credit from your carrier when choosing a Galaxy S7 family device or the Galaxy Note7 within the exchange program. Bill credit could take 2 to 3 billing cycles before appearing on your statement.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I myself have no problem with Best Buy or the Samsung folks in the stores.

All this is a unfortunate problem. But we are gonna have to learn how to deal with it.

Personally I'm changing my phone only when I can sit and watch TV or something.
But I will not return it till a few weeks when more note 7 become available.
This is my 1st Note.
And I really like it .
Regardless of all the problems everybody else has complained about.
Because I have not had the lag or anything like anybody else has had.
And I seen from Day one it worked flawlessly.
So things you do and apps you download to your phone can and will effect the performance of the phone.

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Once again, early Friday morning Best Buy did not have any knowledge or process in play in regards on how to handle the recall.

News regarding the process started to hit employees emails late Friday evening. Now with that, all employees doesn't check their emails. So therefore, they didn't have any knowledge of the process or maybe even the recall in general.

Yesterday news was still coming in. Including the fact that they would allow a customer that has a broken or liquid damaged note 7 to also exchange their device etc.

I have a relative that works at best buy and this is what he told me.

As far as loaner phones Best Buy do not do loaned phones. I have no idea why not. But they don't. My biggest issue with them is that their site says that you can exchange your Note 7 for a new Note 7 (in store)when they come in. However, a manager told me that i have to send mine to Samsung for the exchange. Which I know is not correct.

Also Best Buy will not give you a definate answer on when the New Note 7 will be in. That's why they saying they won't be in for about 4-6weeks. They don't want to state the phone will be in next week or 2 weeks from now and they don't have them in.

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
The other thing as well...is that Best Buy Stores and Best Buy Mobile Stores are ran different and employees is trained differently.

Yes, its one company but trust me...they are different.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
So you're complaining that BB is not following Samsung policy, which I agree with. However then you're complaining again because when they do follow policy you're complaining as well? You're not serious right? Explain so I can understand.

This is BestBuy:

Galaxy Note7 Exchange Program Information

We have stopped selling the Samsung Note7. You can visit a Best Buy store to return or exchange your device, without a restocking fee. You will have the option to replace it with a new Note7 when they become available.

If you have already purchased a Samsung Note7 from Best Buy and do not feel comfortable using it, you have a few options:
1.Exchange current Galaxy Note7 device with a new Galaxy Note7 (when product becomes available).
2.Exchange current Galaxy Note7 for a Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge and replacement of any Note7-specific accessories with a refund of the price difference between devices.
3.Return your Note7 and receive a full refund.

As a gesture of appreciation, you will receive a $25 bill credit from your carrier when choosing a Galaxy S7 family device or the Galaxy Note7 within the exchange program. Bill credit could take 2 to 3 billing cycles before appearing on your statement.

Simple, Im complaining that some best buy stores are not following the recall and turning away customers. I dont like that they are doing the bare minimum to help customers but Im not demanding they go above and beyond either. Im simply demanding they follow their own policy. Simple enough?

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Simple, Im complaining that some best buy stores are not following the recall and turning away customers. I dont like that they are doing the bare minimum to help customers but Im not demanding they go above and beyond either. Im simply demanding they follow their own policy. Simple enough?
I totally agree with you there. If they refuse tell them to check their emails. If that don't work, I'd call corporate right in front of them.

mmsean

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I agree on BB not following their own policy, yes they are at fault no argument here. However regarding BB doing above and beyond on their policy? I don't agree with. Best Buy isn't a mobile phone company. It's just 1 portion of their business. They aren't AT&T which has the inventory and capability to have a bunch of loaner phones around. They're quite not different than buying a phone at Office Depot/Office Max, Costco, Sams Club or any non-wireless store. Hell even the non-corporate owned mobile stores don't follow the same policies.

So yes I hear your frustration but what you're asking for is quite unrealistic and to misinform people and say that they aren't following company policy and then complain that they aren't doing more than company policy seems a bit out of line.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I am not asking for them to go above and beyond. Nowhere at no time have I said they have to. What I have said is they should have. Thats my opinion and thats it. Ive explicitly stated they have decided not to do anything extra so dont expect it. What I have said was if they dont follow their policy then contact corporate.

If you can find one spot where I say they have to offer loaners then I will apologize for that comment.

Edit. Sorry I just saw your last reply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol