Best Buy Note 7 Recall Thread

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
My son and I both want (actually don't want to but have to) switch to the S7E. Our local best buy only had one and can't order any more. Almost all the stores in the state are sold out. Man, what a mess. I just spent 3 hours at best buy and still didn't get a phone.

I was going to switch mine out tonight and order his.Verizon had applied some charge to our account and then immediately credited it back. However, best buys system only showed the outstanding charge and not the credit and showed it as past due. So they couldn't process the upgrade to the new phone. After 30 minutes on hold with VZW a VZW rep said the charge and credit were something from the return of my other recalled phones. He said they had seen this before and I could fix it by making an advance payment in of the amount of the credit (even though I didn't owe anything) and it would just clear the charge and apply to next months bill. So I did. It didn't fix the problem. The VZW rep gave the BB rep a special VZW number to call to get the block removed. Of course when the BB guy called it, it wasn't a working number.

So back on hold with VZW for almost an hour. Get another VZW rep who seemed to understand what happened but said that BB Core rep was the only one who could override the problem (unless I wanted to wait a month for my next bill pay) and they are only available during the day. So no phone tonight. Then to make it worse, he had already returned my Note and there was no way to undo that since the system won't allow him to sell one back to me. I finally got the store manager to agree to allow me to keep my note till tomorrow even though it was on their inventory now. The BB rep is going to try to get it all resolved tomorrow and will call me when it is all ready to go.

All this for a friggin free TV. I should have just ordered the phones online from VZW and returned them that way.

I've had problems, after problems like this over the years with Verizon.
Sorry for Yer pain.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
After these last 2 month at Best Buy I discovered the carrier is where issues are quickly resolved and it's mostly hassle free. I know all carriers aren't the greatest but it's sooo much better than Best Buy. Employees are more courteous and professional at AT&T too. Best Buy employees appear rude, over worked, miserable, and appear inconvenienced having to do their JOB. I don't hate on the individual BB employees but the entire BB Mobile Department sucks. Conclusion still stands after visiting about 6 different BB too.

Putting the Samsung blame aside, I would have about 10 hours of my life back and a few less handfuls of hair if I originally purchased from AT&T.

I could not agree more! After this experience, I'll NEVER buy a phone again from BB. It took them FOREVER to get my first N7 activated. While they were working on it, I went and got lunch and they still hadn't finished when I got back. I went to return my second N7 and exchange for an S7 Edge. I tried to return it to a different BB from the one I bought it originally and that BB wouldn't take it. They said I had to go back to the BB at which I purchased it. In contrast, an ATT store did an exchange even though I originally bought the phone from BB. And the activation at ATT store took less than 5 minutes.

I think problem is BB sees a customer only as a commission for a one-time sale. Whereas to a carrier, you a long-term customer so they have an incentive to keep you happy. Also the carrier staff and much more competent and professional. I wasted a lot of time dealing with BB that could have been avoided if I dealt directly with ATT from the beginning.

seventeenseconds

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I returned my device (for the 2nd time) to Best Buy. Mine was an outright purchase, so it was easier that they didn't have to contact the carrier. That said, the guy I was dealing with was dumber than a block. I don't know if it was his first week or what, but the first thing he told me was that I couldn't return it, because I had already exchanged it once and was out of my 14 day window! Had to wait to get another employee to explain to him that the phone was recalled and he still really didn't get it. He was inspecting the device, box and accessories very closely like he was looking for any excuse to try to deny me. Finally, he relented but he had to involve a manager twice to help him.

I know stuff happens, but as I said in another thread, I'll never buy another phone from Best Buy again! EVER! They aren't worth the hassle if something goes wrong and you need to exchange a device. The practice, consistency and messaging among stores is ridiculous and each one acts completely differently with policies even among employees at the same store. Not going to deal with that again in the future!

ticketbabe2

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
I could not agree more! After this experience, I'll NEVER buy a phone again from BB. It took them FOREVER to get my first N7 activated. While they were working on it, I went and got lunch and they still hadn't finished when I got back. I went to return my second N7 and exchange for an S7 Edge. I tried to return it to a different BB from the one I bought it originally and that BB wouldn't take it. They said I had to go back to the BB at which I purchased it. In contrast, an ATT store did an exchange even though I originally bought the phone from BB. And the activation at ATT store took less than 5 minutes.

I think problem is BB sees a customer only as a commission for a one-time sale. Whereas to a carrier, you a long-term customer so they have an incentive to keep you happy. Also the carrier staff and much more competent and professional. I wasted a lot of time dealing with BB that could have been avoided if I dealt directly with ATT from the beginning.
In all fairness to BB, that's where I bought mine & also had a long wait, the problem wasn't their fault. Verizon was hard to reach & there were problems with the return & exchange in their system. You would think that such a large scale recall would have caused the carriers to make this simpler for everyone, but they seemed just as perplexed about the exchange as BB was. Samsung wasn't quick on letting the stores know exactly what was expected & how it should be handled. Guess things happened too fast with so many units out there. BB personnel were actually pretty patient with my data transfer, cause I had a lot on that supreme phone!

ggrr8t

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know for sure...If I return my phone to Verizon and upgrade to a replacement, how would I get reimbursed for the case, protector (approx. $75 ) and most of all the initial fees ( tax & activation= $74.71 ) BB collected ( total approx. $150)?
It just seems so much easier to go online and upgrade at VZ then wait for the replacement and send in the Note. Even if I did the same online with BB I have no idea how I will be reimbursed for the previous upfront costs. Not to mention paying an activation fee twice, then a new activation fee on the new replacement. It all adds up.

Jagadalic

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
Went to best buy to return the note 7 and was told they stopped exchanges and I had to go to Samsung directly. I was so angry so I called a best buy agent and he said the person who told me this was wrong. I ended up going back to the store and the person who told me best buy stopped exchanges was wrong and apologized. I don't think I'll ever buy from them again. Another customer was going off on all the agents since we just got the email from best buy saying to come in store and return the device.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

You have to admit. It's tough.
But the people at Best Buy and the carriers are having a very hard time right now.
As well as you are. Be patient right now. Thing will work themselves out.

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
The guys at my best buy are the greatest. I have gotten phones from them for years (and new people every time) and they are so helpful and kool. They always treat me above and beyond what I'd expect.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
All credits are future credits with Verizon. It shows as now but doesn't actually get taken off til the next bill cycle. These carriers are just trying to make more money off this issue.

Dracolan

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I didn't have any issues with my first recall at BB just, gave them the phone and got my new one. With the second recall i was going to get the S7E but they were out of stock. Which means i missed the window for the free TV. The rep tried to talk me into a regular S7, but that ain't going to fly. So now i am waiting till they get more S7Es in. So in the mean time i guess i will still be rocking my N7. Just want to get this mess over with.

djarchow

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I didn't have any issues with my first recall at BB just, gave them the phone and got my new one. With the second recall i was going to get the S7E but they were out of stock. Which means i missed the window for the free TV. The rep tried to talk me into a regular S7, but that ain't going to fly. So now i am waiting till they get more S7Es in. So in the mean time i guess i will still be rocking my N7. Just want to get this mess over with.

The new promo on the S7E is a $150 gift card. I would have rather gotten the gift card, as we don't need another TV, let alone 2. Hopefully I can sell them.

Also BB does have S7Es in stock online. My store had one s7E in stock so I just ordered the second online and it should arrive next week. Once it comes, I will go turn in the other Note 7 to BB.

Dracolan

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Also BB does have S7Es in stock online. My store had one s7E in stock so I just ordered the second online and it should arrive next week. Once it comes, I will go turn in the other Note 7 to BB.

The rep i was talking to advised me not to purchase online because of the way they have to do the recall exchange.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
The rep i was talking to advised me not to purchase online because of the way they have to do the recall exchange.

Yup... it's a pain... they can't order them for the stores to have as inventory, they have to have them available in their warehouse. And in the case of the recall, it doesn't show as an exchange, it shows as a separate purchase, and a separate return.

That's the boat I am in now. Only to find out that the one I ordered isn't going to work for me because the unlocked versions are missing some features that I would have assumed as standard, if it weren't for another forum member pointing those things out. So, basically if you want all the bells and whistles go for the carrier locked versions.

ggrr8t

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I waited on purpose to order my 7 edge on Sunday. I just downloaded my $150 BB gift card. I paid an extra $13 to have the phone delivered quicker (by this Wednesday instead of next Monday). Once I get the phone I will set it up, and transfer all my stuff. I will then go in and get a refund on my case and screen protector ordered with original phone. I will then see what I can do about all these phone activation fees. It it crazy that they are billing us.

Dracolan

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I was told they activation fees would be waived, with the exception of the first one. I have only seen the first one so far on my bill.

djarchow

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site

Interesting. I had both the mobile manager and my rep say ordering online was the only way to get our second s7e in a reasonable time. They can't order them now except for from another store. They ordered 6 from other stores last week and got one of them.

Gunny Fitz

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
(First off let me thank my friend "w7sg" here for the applause!)

Secondly. On my original Post here - #1413, I noted (No pun intended) my experience at BB and that they said I was NOT mandated to return my ORIGINAL device (Since I never got the replacement) which was working flawlessly too. That I probably would've gone ahead and swapped it out for a S7 Edge if the only color they had was "Rose Gold." So therefore I just left and kept it.

Fast forward to Samsung's $100 incentive and a call into my buddy who is the BB Store Manager there. I explained my dilemma on wanting a Black Onyx one if they are seriously ceasing all support, updates, etc on the Note 7 - which he somehow found in a store about an hour away (ONLY 1 of them in the entire Northern Virginia area too!) So he literally sent an employee to get it, kept it in his office desk, not even accepting it into the store inventory-since you know damn well what would happen if another sales rep saw that in the system!!! Went in there Saturday night. It was SLAMMED in Mobile and due to my Combat PTSD issues (Enough to warrant a TBI & PTSD Service Dog) I just couldnt stand in line that long, so wife and I wandered over to look at new Washers & Dryers.

About 10 mikes later my friend comes up and tells me everything is set for the S7 and I went over and returned everything (Well NOT everything, just the phone and case - LOL) They didnt ask about the stupid Gear Fit Watch Id love to sell to anyone, and obviously the wireless charger works still. All went fine and the VZW Rep on phone stated it would take up to 3 or 4 billing cycles before the $125 in credit incentives made it onto the billing (By that time I may even have forgotten all about that stuff to be honest!)
So now I have the S7 Edge and do admit it seriously is a nice device once one starts working with it (Unless you loved that SPen and used it all the time!) For some reason I think the picture quality is better on the S7 than Note 7 and some of the feedback and speed too! Only drawback is that it doesnt feel as solid and protective in the hands ya know? Gotta get a quality case since I was even told by the Geek Squad Geeks that even when they drop on the Edge (IN a case too) they almost always break! - Which is one more reason why i like Best Buy = their no hassle Geek Squad Insurance Protection is stellar!! I have never had to use it for ANY item I bought there, so I would love to hear anything at all about the Pros & Cons (If there are any?) from anyone?

Oh. May as well add this too. While I was doing my phone thing. My wife found a new LG Washer & Dryer she liked, and without me knowing until i had to sign papers, she spoke w my Manager buddy and negotiated the entire purchase of that too! I nearly fell off my chair when i saw what this friend of mine had done for me. Total discount applied in ways Ive never EVER seen in my life = $1176.18 This made the entire trip and loss of my Note 7 MUCH MUCH less painful, despite dropping another grand + on a sweet Black Graphite Steel looking LG Combo set! Believe it or not, I even got the new Highly Efficient Top Loader with a tub so big one could store a body inside the damn thing!!! (Yes I realize I am WAY off topic but absolutely had to share this with you all) LOL.

Large Capacity Top Load Washer – LG WT7700HVA | LG USA

*Matter of fact- anyone w an LG Washer & Dryer is sought to send me a PM to educate me on them if possible? :)

So my friends. I must sadly report the end of what I wanted to be the absolute BEST Smartphone Device EVER!! And just something for everyone to keep in mind I suppose to put things in perspective. Not only is Samsung losing BILLIONS upon BILLIONS of money on this major goatF***, but so are the thousands of other manufacturers out there who made stuff for that device too! As far as Im concerned, I am lucky to come out of all this WITHOUT a blown up or cooked phone, a fair trade in program, decent incentives, and the ability to know I had used the 2016 Samsung Note 7 for 3 months before this incident made history! Rest assured that I will also be saved whatever new device they come up with to take on the iPhone 7s Plus or 8, 9s whatever once they fix the QC trouble in Korea!

Stay safe and stealthy out there folks!
We live in a dangerous world where you should always be kind, polite, use your "Please & Thank You's" but ALWAYS have a backup plan to kill anyone who should attack either yourself or your family- Right? ;)
(Marine Corps Humor-just joking to my civilian members!)

jonnyzlio

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Currently at BB , almost an hour now. U would think they would know how to return it by now. Spoke to 4 different, very nice, employees, but no one knows the full process! !

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000