09-15-2016 04:13 PM
827 ... 2728293031 ...
tools
    Hopefully Samsung learns and changes to replaceable batteries, but probably maybe too late for spring S8. The battery will ALWAYS be the most critical EH&S component, so why not change design?

1. Easy to make replaceable water proof cover.
    2. Will not impact footprint
    3. Will give customers more confidence going forward, since MUCH easier to correct a cell issue
    4 Much more simple campaign and liability to manage a cell problem.
    5. Serial code all batteries to ID them to avoid false claims and support legit ones
    Apple has made untold billions on iPhone since day 1 with no removable battery....It can be done right
    09-11-2016 04:49 PM
    Any hardware changes like that I think they would have to resubmit the model through FCC so aint gonna happen. Also they are not gonna spend any more time on this phone and deep into the S8/Edge/Note at this point.
    Agreed. But if they could work out something to get Nougat & a carrier unlocked Note 7 variant out may help it sell.

But then again. My Mom has a Note 4 & while she is not on tech forums, she watches the news & the like. She knew nothing about the Note 7 issues.
    Same for 3 other people at the BB Samsung counter today while I was in that store. So while the media is obvious for all of us here. It does not mean that everyone is tuned into to it. The same as most have forgotten or did not pay attention to iPhones catching on fire. Apple, FAA Investigating After iPhone Catches Fire Mid-Flight - NBC News Granted, the Samsung deal is completely different.
    09-11-2016 05:48 PM
    Savvy users like us might take the time to verify somehow that a particular used device might be outside the recall. I won't trust any stickers, etc. though...I'll need a Samsung official IMEI verifying site, or an invoice from the authorized retailer/carrier showing that it was purchased well after the recall settles down. I won't accept an Ebay or Swappa invoice, etc. as they can be faked, and I can't contact a reputable business to verify the purchase date. Good luck to anyone trying to sell be a refurb of this device. Even if I do decide to buy a refurb, I'm bringing up thsi battery issue as a way to try to get the seller to lower the price. If I'm going to do this, then you can be sure that others will, and the price will have to affect the added measures I need to take to ensure a good device.

Simple supply and demand here. If demand is down by even a little, it will affect the price. The Note 7 fiasco is out there now in the mainstream. A potential buyer on the resale market can simply type in "Note 7" in Google and you can bet that the battery issue will be at the top of any search result list for many months to come.

If I were Samsung, I would look at releasing a revised Note 7 with maybe an extra gig of ram or two in order to justify the new model on paper. Call it the Note 7s, Note 7plus, etc. and do it asap. Leave all the other specs and dimensions the same, so that the aftermarket accessories folks can still sell their inventory. Samsung can leverage their manuf prowess to get those ram chips in devices asap for the best price (or even release a 128GB model and rename slightly, etc).
    Yup, unfortunately I think that'll require re-approval by the FCC; but that'll certainly be the way to go.

Honestly it shouldn't be required given the failure rate ( < 1% ), but the media hype over this issue has done irreparable damage. It is my belief that a non techie way of distinguishing the old batch from the new is required.

Either way, haven't found any other phone out there that I actually want. I'll probably pick one up again when the fiasco dies down.
    frope01 likes this.
    09-11-2016 05:51 PM
    The media hype started in mainly after Samsung issued the recall. There were a few reports ahead of the recall by Samsung, but they were similar to the ones when the iPhones blew up. Once Samsung acknowledged it was widespread and people should replace them, and no further ones would be sold till the issue was resolved, did the media really focus on it.

As they should, an exploding phone can be serious. And people should be aware that they have a potentially dangerous device in their hands. At the end of the day, it is a phone. You'd think that with the amt of defensiveness on the board at the moment that everyone was on the design team.
    daisyd1224 likes this.
    09-11-2016 05:57 PM
    I have to believe it could have been done by checking lot number of batteries used find the phones... but what if out of the 35 they look and the lots they came from varied? Then your screwed. They'd have no choice but to recall the entire amount.

And it's not like the Apple recall where you can go to website and plug in your phone info and find if your phone was one that has the batteries in question... Apples issue was not holding a charge and dying. These batteries are exploding... you don't have the luxury of time.

Samsung SDI is a product supplier to Apple! Apple makes over 120+ million phones a year so who knows how many batteries they supply to them or to their own phones or others... It could have happened to any other manufacturer or phone they supplied to. They're kinda lucky imo (if contained to this one model) that it was their own unit and limited to 2 million units.

What if it were in the iPhone 7s the first two weeks. You know the first WEEKEND of 6s sales they sold 10 MILLION! Ugh.

Yup, unfortunately I think that'll require re-approval by the FCC; but that'll certainly be the way to go.

Honestly it shouldn't be required given the failure rate ( < 1% ), but the media hype over this issue has done irreparable damage. It is my belief that a non techie way of distinguishing the old batch from the new is required.

Either way, haven't found any other phone out there that I actually want. I'll probably pick one up again when the fiasco dies down.
    09-11-2016 06:57 PM
    Sticking with the Note. I'll probably switch mine out when we have some more clarity from Verizon on how that will work, but I love this phone.
    You should know Verizon takes its time to rectify things. I will stick with mine and await for the text from them. After all I got the text from them 2 days after the mass news from Samsung
    09-11-2016 10:04 PM
    I posted this on the Verizon recall forum but maybe this is a better place. As of today, Verizon has removed the S7 and the S7 edge from their annual upgrade promotion. So if you switch permanently to one of those phones (which Samsung and Verizon seem to be pushing), not as a temporary loaner, you cannot get next year's model unless you pay off the full price of the phone at some point. Used to be that 50% (kind of a lease arrangement) let you return the phone and get the upgraded model. I realize there are other things you can do if you want next year's model (pay off the phone and then sell on Swappa, for example) but this seems like a particularly peculiar time for Verizon to pull these phones, the only Android phones in the program except the Note 7, from the annual upgrade program. At this time, it looks like the only phones on Verizon that can be upgraded annually for 50% payment are the iPhone 7 variants.
    itaintez likes this.
    09-11-2016 10:10 PM
    I have to believe it could have been done by checking lot number of batteries used find the phones... but what if out of the 35 they look and the lots they came from varied? Then your screwed. They'd have no choice but to recall the entire amount.

And it's not like the Apple recall where you can go to website and plug in your phone info and find if your phone was one that has the batteries in question... Apples issue was not holding a charge and dying. These batteries are exploding... you don't have the luxury of time.

Samsung SDI is a product supplier to Apple! Apple makes over 120+ million phones a year so who knows how many batteries they supply to them or to their own phones or others... It could have happened to any other manufacturer or phone they supplied to. They're kinda lucky imo (if contained to this one model) that it was their own unit and limited to 2 million units.

What if it were in the iPhone 7s the first two weeks. You know the first WEEKEND of 6s sales they sold 10 MILLION! Ugh.
    Samsung SDI can prepare for thorough audits from all its customers for the next one year.
    09-11-2016 10:13 PM
    Gonna turn fast charge off to keep charging temps down just to be safe and wait for a replacement note 7
    Oh my God you have just nailed it!!!!!!!
    09-11-2016 10:32 PM
    Apple has made untold billions on iPhone since day 1 with no removable battery....It can be done right
    Shhh! Trying inception so Samsung reconsiders
    09-11-2016 11:45 PM
    Oh my God you have just nailed it!!!!!!!
    I posted a thread suggesting to do this Friday or Saturday, but it seems to have vanished.
    09-11-2016 11:46 PM
    I've had every Note since they came out, currently have the 5 and due a upgrade.
    I will just wait and when Samsung corrects things' will get the 7.
    09-12-2016 05:17 AM
    Just curious if anyone has gone back to a S7 either permanently or until replacements come out. Is it tolerable? Is there any plusses? Perhaps being more pocketable is a plus?
    09-12-2016 10:00 AM
    I posted a thread suggesting to do this Friday or Saturday, but it seems to have vanished.
    Except there are reports of them burning up even when not charging. Just today a 6 year was rushed to the hospital after the phone burst into flames while he was watching a video.
    09-12-2016 10:34 AM
    As people have said from the beginning, Samsung would have never called for a global recall if this wasn't a dead serious deal.

People need to forget this phone exists, and move on.
    09-12-2016 11:17 AM
    As people have said from the beginning, Samsung would have never called for a global recall if this wasn't a dead serious deal.

No! Lol
    09-12-2016 11:22 AM

Strong_Genetics likes this.
    09-12-2016 11:26 AM
    Just curious if anyone has gone back to a S7 either permanently or until replacements come out. Is it tolerable? Is there any plusses? Perhaps being more pocketable is a plus?
    Went to S7E and love it. Runs so much more fluid than the Note. Miss the stylus a little bit, but never heard it that much to begin with.
    09-12-2016 11:46 AM
    I went with the S7 Edge. It's a beautiful phone, works fine and I guess it'll do but it's not the Note. I'm one of those that always use my Spen so it's gonna be tough to live without (been a while, all I've used is Notes, 3, 4, 5 and 7). Verizon has upset me a little and I may leave them over this (even though it's not their fault) but the Edge is a nice phone. I can return this in 14 days if the Note 7 is in by then (and pay the restock fee as it's Verizon) but I may do it anyway. Just not sure. Heck, it's only 11 months until the Note 8 now (hopefully)! lol
    I may actually return it and still go to someone else and get another Note 7. I'd really like to see what I'm missing by using the Verizon version (gimped Samsung features). Still undecided what to do.
    09-12-2016 02:16 PM
    I decided I didn't want to wait for who knows how long for the new Note 7's to arrive so I just returned it and went with the S7 Edge. After two days with it I can honestly say I really like it. If you are like me and hardly ever use the S pen I think the S7E is a better way to go. Specs are virtually the same as the N7 with the only real differences being no pen, 32gb of memory instead of 64gb (not an issue with having an SD card slot) and the unnoticeable screen size difference (5.5 vs 5.7). In fact, I would say that even though I had no problem with the N7 battery life, the S7E has slightly better battery life. Don't think I will miss the N7 at all. But I'm sure I will be looking when the Note 8 shows its face :-)
    09-12-2016 02:44 PM
    Only things keeping from the S7E are:
    1) It is only about 5 months away until the S8E is here. My 6P will do me fine until then.
    2)I've been ruined with my 6p when it comes to cables, and will only get a phone now with USB C. Not having to think about which way to plug in your phone is a multiple-times-per-day aggravation I am now happy to live without.

If the new Pixel phones don't suck, and come with wireless charging and good cameras, I might get one of those. Otherwise it will very likely be the S8E.

Just not as a preorder. I'm going to give them a couple of months to make sure we don't have a repeat of this fiasco.
    09-12-2016 03:11 PM
    I had a moment in my mind and thought about keeping the edge I switched into but then went to do something can only do on the Note. Came to my senses.
    But the edge is a great device for now. I will be happy to have my coral blue back.
    Gray Area likes this.
    09-12-2016 03:13 PM
    I am using the edge while waiting. I had thought about just staying with it but I do miss the Note.
    Call quality isn't as good as on the Note. The phone is smooth running though. If the Note7 wasn't being replaced would probably keep. But I went to do something only can do on the Note and that brought me back to reality...missing the Note. I have had the 2,3,and the 4. So it's not that I was new to the Note
    09-12-2016 03:19 PM
    Thanks for the comments. I was actually thinking about the S7 not S7E... Which I know sounds crazy but my logic was if I don't have the pen anyways maybe make it really easy to carry in my pocket.

But before I go crazier with that sort of thinking I will wait until the 15th which is when my letter said more info was forthcoming and decide then. I don't care about the press etc. If I can get a new functioning safe note 7 quickly I'm in.
    09-12-2016 04:04 PM
    Can anyone tell me if I wait longer than 14 days on my loaner phone, would my carrier not let me exchange for any other phone beside the Note 7? I'm starting to think it may be a long time before they replace our loaners and I don't want to get stuck with a 5" screen in the S7 (which is all they had for loaners at the time).
    09-12-2016 04:27 PM
827 ... 2728293031 ...