are you leaving the Note 7? if so, where are you going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reintgenrc

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
What's the issue with htc ?

I came from the htc 10 to the note. I prefer the 10. Was faster and smoother for me. Phone felt rock solid too. One of my favourite phones I ever used. I sold it after finally settling to stick it out with the note and with the anticipation that I'll be getting the pixel/nexus anyways so didn't want to have a similar device from the 10 to the pixel.

I'm contemplating buying back my HTC 10 at this point from the guy I sold it to and return my note, but there are definitely certain things I like about the note that is making it hard for me to determine.. screen is stunning , really like the edge, power saving mode is awesome, camera is a little better and I really enjoy the Samsung internet browser.
I'm with you, the HTC 10 is a good phone. Too bad in my area it is not in stock for any carrier store or Best Buy. They are pretty much order only. It's sad what's happened to HTC in the US.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Of the two I'd go with the Z Force for only two reasons. 1. Much better battery life. 2. HTC has an issue with overheating chargers because of their mishandling of their USB C implementation with QuickCharge. That is another phone that is unfortunately dangerous.

The HTC 10 has no issues whatsoever with charging.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The HTC 10 has no issues whatsoever with charging.

So this ^^ not so much

The HTC has a problem with how the implemented QuickCharge 3.0 on their device. Using a charger other than the stock charger has the capability to cause the device to overheat, which they knew about - because they added a software warning to the user stating that it is overheating and a software switch to turn off charging, but despite their knowledge of it, vbus hot chargers and those that supply higher wattage than expected continue supplying power because of the poor implementation. This means the phone can overheat and continuing drawing a charge despite the fact that it is overheating, which can have obvious consequences, such as damage to the device, the things that it is in contact with and if those things are flammable, it can cause fires, which have their own set of consequences. The HTC 10 is perfectly safe (apparently) if you only use the stock charger or cables and wall chargers that are specifically set up to handle QuickCharge 2.0 and 3.0.

See explanation here ^^

The only safe way to use the HTC 10 is to use the stock charger or any other QC 2.0 or 3.0 certified charger; using it with non QC chargers is not only not recommended, but is dangerous because despite HTC's knowledge of the error, they never actually solved the problem and shipped the devices instead. The "knowledge" part is inferred by the software that they coded to display a warning on the screen, but I can't think of another explanation that would cause them to code that warning on a device that happens to overheat when using USB C chargers that are safe on devices that adhere to the USB C standards.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I'll definitely stick with it. But I'll also be getting an iPhone 7 Plus. The Note is my work phone. Wish they made an iPhone with s stylus, though

theshaz

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
What phone is there to go to?

I am staying with the Note 7. Samsung is doing the honorable thing with the recall & T mobile will leet me wait till they get the new stock in... then I will swap.

My work stuff is in KNOX and is easily backed up & personal stuff is pretty easy too.

Seriously, what other device is out there that is comparable?

Stylus
Water resistance
Wireless charging
Memory expansion
Speed
Screen vibrancy
Camera performance

Nothing else is even close.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
So this ^^ not so much

See explanation here ^^

The only safe way to use the HTC 10 is to use the stock charger or any other QC 2.0 or 3.0 certified charger; using it with non QC chargers is not only not recommended, but is dangerous because despite HTC's knowledge of the error, they never actually solved the problem and shipped the devices instead. The "knowledge" part is inferred by the software that they coded to display a warning on the screen, but I can't think of another explanation that would cause them to code that warning on a device that happens to overheat when using USB C chargers that are safe on devices that adhere to the USB C standards.

Always use certified chargers. What is the problem with that? Why would you want to use a cheap charger of unknown quality with your smartphone? You are making up an issue where there is none.
The market is full of certified QC 3.0 chargers. If you want an excuse for not getting an HTC 10, then I understand.

reintgenrc

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Always use certified chargers. What is the problem with that? Why would you want to use a cheap charger of unknown quality with your smartphone? You are making up an issue where there is none.
The market is full of certified QC 3.0 chargers. If you want an excuse for not getting an HTC 10, then I understand.
I don't think this is necessarily making an excuse not to buy one product over another. It just boils down to the fact that there have been more sentinel issues with USB-C. In the past, USB users could get by with buying pretty much any cable and now there are more and more reports of devices malfunctioning due to aftermarket cables not carrying to correct current. For this reason I pay attention to Benson Leung's blogs. I believe that manufacturers like HTC, for example, simply didn't anticipate this problem and from a consumer [non-techie] POV, it seems perfectly reasonable to pick up any USB-C cable. Not something I would do or recommend but the average consumer doesn't have time to think of such things.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not cheap chargers; the issue was discovered with a Pixel charger. Cheap ones would potentially also have the issue, but this was official charger from Google that is designed for the same standards HTC was supposed to be supporting. It's hardly an invented issue when the main selling point of USB type C is universality and a person plugs their existing charger into a device that has no overt warnings despite HTC being clearly aware of the issue.

Overall I really like the HTC 10, but escaping a really good phone with a temporary battery flaw that's being fixed in favor of a really good phone with a permanent battery flaw that will not be fixed is simply a mistake for anyone other than those who will only use the charger that HTC provides in the box. Because we've seen too many certified chargers and cables that are also being recalled or shown by folks like Nate and Benson to be dangerously defective.

A good example is Google's lg 5x type C charger that also has a flawed vbus hot wall charger. Plugging the HTC 10 into that charger has the potential to be very dangerous because both LG and Google screwed up that charger and HTC screwed up the ability of the 10s ability for their phone to properly handle that unit.

Furthermore, you're being a little loose with the term "making up", as the issue does indeed exist and is indeed dangerous. Not sure if that's intentional or not, but it's not really cool to dismiss an issue or to accuse others of lying about it simply because you either aren't aware of or don't care about an issue. I didn't create the issue.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Still, I don't see the issue here. Always stick with the official chargers and you are good. This should apply for all smartphones.

reintgenrc

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Still, I don't see the issue here. Always stick with the official chargers and you are good. This should apply for all smartphones.
Because it's not practical for people like me who use multiple phones a year. Given your logic, I would have to buy an extra Samsung Note 7 charger for my current phone and then [let's say I switched to LG later] and then then stop using it with the next phone from a different manufacturer. Why can't I use a well-researched QC charger and cable from Anker, which is usually cheaper and use it across the board? I don't think I've ever used the exact charger I got the phone with all the time and don't think the average consumer has time to do the research any of us have done on these matters.

Roman Akert

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
What phone is there to go to?

I am staying with the Note 7. Samsung is doing the honorable thing with the recall & T mobile will leet me wait till they get the new stock in... then I will swap.

My work stuff is in KNOX and is easily backed up & personal stuff is pretty easy too.

Seriously, what other device is out there that is comparable?

Stylus
Water resistance
Wireless charging
Memory expansion
Speed
Screen vibrancy
Camera performance

Nothing else is even close.

S7E

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
People are really leaving the Note because of this? You are getting a brand new Note 7, not refurbished, what more can you ask for. It's the best phone out right now.

gvyt36785

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Huawei Honor Note 8 at half the price. Gorgeous though the Galaxy Note is, the price is just too much, even for the additional perks you get (e. g. edge technology). I should have gone with the Huawei in the first place, but that's another story!

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Because it's not practical for people like me who use multiple phones a year. Given your logic, I would have to buy an extra Samsung Note 7 charger for my current phone and then [let's say I switched to LG later] and then then stop using it with the next phone from a different manufacturer. Why can't I use a well-researched QC charger and cable from Anker, which is usually cheaper and use it across the board? I don't think I've ever used the exact charger I got the phone with all the time and don't think the average consumer has time to do the research any of us have done on these matters.
The Qualcomm chargers should work with the HTC 10.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...charge-the-lg-g5-and-htc-10-via-usb-c-1319786

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm