are you leaving the Note 7? if so, where are you going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Let me ask something.

I have my Note 3 and haven't used it in over 2 years. If I do decide to use it but don't have service on it, just wifi, can I update it to Marshmallow?
Fairly certain - new situation for me - that you'll need to have service to download it at least. Mine is rooted and updates turned off so I can't guarantee that and I don't want to test it because I'll lose root or have to jump through hoops to test it. You might ask that question on xda forums. I hang there too, but rooting is not a strength for me so I usually just root and leave it alone. If I'm over there and remember to, I'll ask the quetion too. So if you see a thread started by me with the title something about upgrading the N3 without carrier service don't make a new one. OTOH I won't if I see one by you.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
DISCLAIMER: I am not a LG fangirl or a Samsung hater, just made an interesting point so please don't attack me. Thanks :)

So, most of you are gonna stick with Samsung and Note 7. Good for you. I just find it interesting that when LG has the unfortunate bootloop issue with the G4, majority of the G4 owners have said "I'm done with LG, never again will I buy their phones!!!!"

Samsung has chance of exploding batteries and Note 7 owners are like " that's okey. I'll get a new Note 7."

Reality is that hardware faults happen to every manufacturer. But it seems that some manufacturers are forgiven and some are not. Why is that? is it brand loyalty etc? Or how the manufacturer handles the situation etc? This intrigues me....
Solid points, so I thought I'd share my experience.

My daily driver was the LG G4 (I actually now have one lying around). I originally acquired it in June 2015. I liked it at the time despite its flaws, as I liked the camera and how it performs in the real world, even if battery life was lacking (for me).

Then, the bootloop issue struck me. It was on January 2016. I sent it back to the store where I got it from (it's an import), and I got a replacement of the same model. Worked fine for a bit. Then, a whole bunch of issues came up, from the touchscreen absolutely failing to respond and it overheating quite a few times during my typical usage. It exhibited similar symptoms to my original before it died.

I went back to the store to have it diagnosed only for them to tell me that they ran out of units. I saw a stack of phones that were going to be repaired and a lot of them were LG G4s.

At that point, I just lost all confidence I had in the phone. I switched back to the HTC One M7 for a bit and waited for the Note7.

So far, I like my Note, but the battery issues are concerning to me. However, Samsung does look to own up to their mistakes, so I'm hoping that these are sorted in the newer batches.

That said, I haven't completely given up on LG. I'm eager to know if the V20 is going to be their chance of redemption. I hope it is, as I think LG does make some intriguing (if sometimes controversial) hardware.

Last edited:

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Overall I'm happy with my Note 7 so wouldn't I be better waiting a couple more weeks?

I would probably say so. It's funny, though, because if not for this recall I would have never tried a different phone.

The fact that I have JOD probably plays into my decisions as well. If I ended up missing the N7, I can always JOD back to it. But for now, I'm happy with the S7E. I realize it's a holiday weekend, though, so things might change once the workweek starts.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Really don't like Windows tablets. Glad you like yours. I will get the next Note tablet that comes out. I only got the S2 because my Note 10.1 was too heavy. I still have it and it still works great. Rooted too. Great tablet, just heavy now. I'm going to refresh it and use it somewhere else where the weight isn't an issue.

Refurbished Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 $300 with LTE...Love it.

Treonday

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I never got to experience the Note 7 since mine arrived on the day of the recall. So I can't say if it's a good experience or not. Honestly, I'll wait and see if I can secure a replacement by the end of the month. If not, I'll probably stick with my iPhone 6 Plus until the Pixel XL comes out.

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
If I were to get another phone it would have to be the HTC 10. Had it and miss it

Really miss my 10... I finally decided to sell it and stick with the Note. Already was hesitant on keeping the Note as the 10 felt faster to me in every way apart from camera.

Sold it and literally two days later this recall was announced. I was going to buy it back from the person I sold it to as he didn't like it, but he screwed me over after agreeing to sell it to me and sold it on Swappa.

For now, my friend let me borrow their Z Force until everything is resolved and so I can see if I want to exchange it for the force.

My Note is off now as yesterday it got to 100 degrees while charging. First time it got up to that plugged in. It usually stays anywhere from 83-90.

So far. Really liking the Moto. Love love active display and forgot how much I missed it. Fingerprint sensor is way faster as well and the phone itself is smoother and faster. I haven't had a great opportunity yet to compare camera .

bushy73

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
I say the same thing. V20 is supposed to be in stores Sept 18th, or 23rd depending on what person you ask here. If that is true since Tmobile currently is giving us until Sept 30th to swap for a different phone, I might just hold off getting a new Note 7 and end up getting a V20. Since it might only be $650 that would give me an extra 200 to by spare batteries and a couple cases and probably still have a little left over.
"Spare batteries"......for the Note 7!?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
"Spare batteries"......for the Note 7!?
Lol.

I think he meant spare batteries and other accessories for the V20.

It's likely coming with a removable battery. LG's holding on to it for as long as they can since their flagship phones are pretty much the only ones left (at least from a mainstream brand) with a user-replaceable battery. Everyone else has sealed it up.

bushy73

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
Lol.

I think he meant spare batteries and other accessories for the V20.

It's likely coming with a removable battery. LG's holding on to it for as long as they can since their flagship phones are pretty much the only ones left (at least from a mainstream brand) with a user-replaceable battery. Everyone else has sealed it up.
Yes. I just re read it. My bad.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
The S7E is the same phone minus the problems plus bigger battery. You can buy a pen for that too if you really need one.
Note 7's batt issue will no longer be an issue after the exchange. If anyone feels so, they shouldn't have got Note 7 in the first place, should go straight for S7E already?

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I would probably say so. It's funny, though, because if not for this recall I would have never tried a different phone.

The fact that I have JOD probably plays into my decisions as well. If I ended up missing the N7, I can always JOD back to it. But for now, I'm happy with the S7E. I realize it's a holiday weekend, though, so things might change once the workweek starts.

I'm torn on what I want to do. I have a Note 4 and a Moto Turbo 2 I could use in the meantime but I am leaning towards the S7E....truth be tod I don't use the stylus that much. I just don't like the fact the S7E is nearing it's life cycle although it's about a hundred cheaper.

What kind of battery life are you getting? Displays nearly the same? Camera?

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I have the S7E and the note 7.
Like the note 7 better.

+1
Something about the way the S7E feels in the hand is not as nice as the Note 7. Battery life was too close to consider a difference. The only thing I liked more on the S7E was the display. It had a cooler color tone and seemed to have deeper blacks. The curve on the S7E also caused me more unintentional screen presses that I didnt experience on the Note 7

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I originally went back to the nexus 6P but changed my mind and went back to the S7 edge. I'm still following the devices that will be announced over the next few weeks but it will be hard to top the edge. Also doesn't hurt best buy was giving out $150 gift cards for purchasing.

The note is probably out of the question for me now. Either the edge or something from a different company. So all in I ended up with $40 in samsung gift cards, 256gb SD card, gear fit2 and $150 best buy gift card to end up with the same phone I started with lol.

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm torn on what I want to do. I have a Note 4 and a Moto Turbo 2 I could use in the meantime but I am leaning towards the S7E....truth be tod I don't use the stylus that much. I just don't like the fact the S7E is nearing it's life cycle although it's about a hundred cheaper.

What kind of battery life are you getting? Displays nearly the same? Camera?

Battery life - I've only had it for 2 days, so I can't report much on battery life
Display - S7E seems a bit better
Camera - haven't taken any pics yet

If you don't have JOD, I get why you don't want to buy a phone nearing the end of its life-cycle. Based on the N7 threads, it seems like I may have just gotten a lemon. My N7 never outperformed my N5 - but I can't speak to how anyone else's ran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol