09-19-2016 04:55 AM
198 12345 ...
tools
    Not right away but you're not suggesting they will simply trash them are you? If they hit market on ebay in 12 months our resale value plummits
    I'm not suggesting anything because only people in the know at Samsung know what their plans are for the phones. I've already stated that they can afford it. A $2 billion loss on this is less than 33% of their operating profit in Q2. Not enjoyable but they could easily do it.
    09-03-2016 01:10 PM
    I'm not suggesting anything because only people in the know at Samsung know what their plans are for the phones. I've already stated that they can afford it. A $2 billion loss on this is less than 33% of their operating profit in Q2. Not enjoyable but they could easily do it.
    Possible. I'm just expressing an uninformed opinion based on a lifetime of experiences with corporations. Top guys make millions. Their jobs depend on making MORE millions for the company. A lot of money could be saved by reselling these phones most of which may not even have a problem. I'd be surprised if management decided to eschew this income. They might... But it would be unusual.
    09-03-2016 01:26 PM
    There are currently Zero Note 7's available for sale in retail channels. There is no way to know what will happen with all the returned phones but there is no way Samsung is going to cannibalize new device sales by saturating the market with refurbs.
    After they send out new phones, I don't see why they wouldn't resell these. It's not going to effect their profits and might get those who leave the Note 7 for the iPhone 7 and then change their mind. Or those who don't want the iPhone 7 because of no headphone jack. A lower price for refurbs might get more customers for future sales. Premium device with a solid battery at a reduced price would bring in new customers.
    09-03-2016 02:49 PM
    There are currently Zero Note 7's available for sale in retail channels. There is no way to know what will happen with all the returned phones but there is no way Samsung is going to cannibalize new device sales by saturating the market with refurbs.
    i dunno about that...

it could ABSOLUTELY work in Samsung's favor once the "recalled phones are deemed safe", what Samsung would "cannabalize" is the sales of these "other companies" mid range phones that are currently selling in the 300-400 range like ZTE, Alcatel, Xiaomi & Huawei etc.

I am willing to believe ALL of those buyers would be like, "an open boxed, inspected & corrected Note 7 for 400 bucks? "Heck yeah, all day long! Give me my S-Pen, where do i sign??!!!"

BTC
    debdroid1a likes this.
    09-03-2016 03:29 PM
    i dunno about that...

it could ABSOLUTELY work in Samsung's favor once the "recalled phones are deemed safe", what Samsung would "cannabalize" is the sales of these "other companies" mid range phones that are currently selling in the 300-400 range like ZTE, Alcatel, Xiaomi & Huawei etc.

I am willing to believe ALL of those buyers would be like, "an open boxed, inspected & corrected Note 7 for 400 bucks? "Heck yeah, all day long! Give me my S-Pen, where do i sign??!!!"

BTC
    Well I dunno about $400...

That price would absolutely destroy new phone sales of the N7 especially a certified refurb straight from Samsung. Plus, at that price, they would be severely devaluing their phone which they won't do.
    09-03-2016 03:37 PM
    Well I dunno about $400...

That price would absolutely destroy new phone sales of the N7 especially a certified refurb straight from Samsung. Plus, at that price, they would be severely devaluing their phone which they won't do.
    Not really saying its what they WILL do, more what i think they SHOULD do.

You have to keep in mind this is an unprecedented device recall" and calls for strategies thinking COMPLETELY, "outside of the new retail box".....Under normal conditions, it would be poor marketing, but the distinction here would be these are "the old batch devices that were recalled" that will heavily discounted...

i am certain there will STILL be millions of ppl who WILL care that their Note 7 is from "the new batch Note 7" who's IMEI does NOT appear on ANY "defect/reconditioned list, and millions of ppl (mid range phone buyers) who WILL NOT care...

Get the new ones in the hands of ppl who want
    NEW BATCH & don't mind paying a premium for it @ 30 bucks a month EIP and also get the Note 7 in the hands of ppl who are non Carrier & who would pay 400 bucks and be done regardless if refurb/open box.... it could be a win/win...

BTC
    RoyKelly2 likes this.
    09-03-2016 04:14 PM
    Not really saying its what they WILL do, more what i think they SHOULD do.

You have to keep in mind this is an unprecedented device recall" and calls for strategies thinking COMPLETELY, "outside of the new retail box".....Under normal conditions, it would be poor marketing, but the distinction here would be these are "the old batch devices that were recalled" that will heavily discounted...

i am certain there will STILL be millions of ppl who WILL care that their Note 7 is from "the new batch Note 7" who's IMEI does NOT appear on ANY "defect/reconditioned list, and millions of ppl (mid range phone buyers) who WILL NOT care...

Get the new ones in the hands of ppl who want
    NEW BATCH & don't mind paying a premium for it @ 30 bucks a month EIP and also get the Note 7 in the hands of ppl who are non Carrier & who would pay 400 bucks and be done regardless if refurb/open box.... it could be a win/win...

BTC
    It's not what they should do. Refurbed phones are only going to lose up to $100. They aren't going to offer stupidly huge discounts and start a fire sale for no reason, when people would most certainly pay more.
    09-03-2016 04:29 PM
    It's not what they should do. Refurbed phones are only going to lose up to $100. They aren't going to offer stupidly huge discounts and start a fire sale for no reason, when people would most certainly pay more.
    I disagree... Also, i think if this were 2 years ago when having the "latest & greatest" cell phone was to some a bit of a "status symbol"... But this has faded away with so many flagships being affordable and beautifully designed in their own rite, so i don't think it would be as detrimental to the Note 7 Line if "everyone and their brother had one" .....

Funny you should use the words "fire sale"....and "no reason" in same sentence...lol

BTC
    RoyKelly2 likes this.
    09-03-2016 04:35 PM
    As long as these new replacements are ip68 water resistant in tact, then I don't care.
    Yeah, that's a good point... Maybe Samsung made them water resistant so that it wouldn't harm the device when you doused it with water when it caught on fire... (yeah i know, bad joke...lol)

BTC
    RoyKelly2 likes this.
    09-03-2016 04:43 PM
    I've said before, I think they will fix them and use them as warranty replacements, and insurance companies like asurion probably have a order in for some already.
    09-03-2016 04:53 PM
    I doubt these returned phones will see the market.

They were recalled for a safety issue. The liability there seems too great.
    09-03-2016 04:53 PM
    Note 7 is supposed to ride on the success of S7 & S7E to create even more profit for Samsung with a proven design, and it truly is a great device that looks like going to do just that.

Instead, not only are they going to pay big money for the recall, it also hurts the reputation of Samsung & Note 7. Sales will definitely suffer unless they give massive discounts. To add salt to the wound, it came at no better time for Apple which will be launching the new iPhone.

A very disastrous event to Samsung no matter how I look at it.
    debdroid1a likes this.
    09-03-2016 06:25 PM
    I doubt these returned phones will see the market.

They were recalled for a safety issue. The liability there seems too great.
    Thread starter meant the recalled units will be resold after the battery is changed. Definitely they won't just re-sell it without doing anything.
    09-03-2016 06:27 PM
    Since the defective part is the battery, changing the battery to a non-defective one doesn't make the phone a refurb.
    Not true since it is a sealed unit.
    09-03-2016 06:32 PM
    Thread starter meant the recalled units will be resold after the battery is changed. Definitely they won't just re-sell it without doing anything.
    Their manufacture date is a phone recalled doe a safety issue. One thing and a person would sue Samsung.

I knew they meant that about the battery change. Doesn't matter, it us a recalled item.
    09-03-2016 06:39 PM
    Their manufacture date is a phone recalled doe a safety issue. One thing and a person would sue Samsung.

I knew they meant that about the battery change. Doesn't matter, it us a recalled item.
    Cars with recall parts aren't completely taken off the market all the time. Hardly ever actually. The part is fixed and it continues on the road. Might be the same with these, depending on what needs to be fixed.
    09-03-2016 08:07 PM
    Cars with recall parts aren't completely taken off the market all the time. Hardly ever actually. The part is fixed and it continues on the road. Might be the same with these, depending on what needs to be fixed.
    I would be shocked. This is unprecedented in mobile phone history.

I was saying last night, they could fix them with no problem. It wouldn't be the danger, it would be something happening that was even the fault of the user and them suing. You never know what jurors will do.

From the cost of parts, seems to me it wouldn't be worth the money risk. The parts that are used are material that manufacturers sell to recyclers. They have scrap material all the time and a contract to sell it. We are talking a device that only makes a certain amount retail and could hurt their sales of their new devices also. They could scrap them, get the money.

I'm not sure what they would make off refurbs would be worth the risk of one jury awarding a multi-million dollar lawsuit.
    09-03-2016 08:18 PM
    Note 7 is supposed to ride on the success of S7 & S7E to create even more profit for Samsung with a proven design, and it truly is a great device that looks like going to do just that.

Instead, not only are they going to pay big money for the recall, it also hurts the reputation of Samsung & Note 7. Sales will definitely suffer unless they give massive discounts. To add salt to the wound, it came at no better time for Apple which will be launching the new iPhone.

A very disastrous event to Samsung no matter how I look at it.
    It's far from disastrous. Short term hit? Sure. They've already forecasted projected sales down 2 million units. That will hurt... the mobile division. The company as a whole is strong and will be able to weather the storm. When the S8 hits the market next year and kills it, the mobile division will be right back to raking in the cash.
    09-03-2016 10:35 PM
    Doesn't this whole thing hurt the resale value of the note 7... A year from now, those in the know are going to be concerned with buying a used note that has a (potential) bum battery. There's no way of knowing what is the old batch vs new. This whole thing has really boned the note 7. What a mess.
    By then the Note 8's will be out but I think I'm sticking with 7. I might upgrade to Note 9 in two years.
    stackberry369 likes this.
    09-03-2016 10:57 PM
    I think Samsung will replace the faulty batteries with new ones. But if they decide to manufacture totally new models, they can.....because Samsung is such a large empire - in terms of manpower, partners, money, ; they may altogether go for a new batch of manufacturing of Note 7s. I wonder if they will go for some chemical treatment / manufacturing process changes on the weak "Gorilla Glass 5" to improve it's scratch resistance & crack resistance (rear panel especially & along the edges). Time will tell, I guess
    09-03-2016 11:12 PM
    Yeah, that's a good point... Maybe Samsung made them water resistant so that it wouldn't harm the device when you doused it with water when it caught on fire... (yeah i know, bad joke...lol)

BTC
    Being water resistant would make it more difficult to put the fire out.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    09-03-2016 11:14 PM
    Not right away but you're not suggesting they will simply trash them are you? If they hit market on ebay in 12 months our resale value plummits
    Can't they just write the phones off as a loss for tax purposes?
    09-03-2016 11:29 PM
    Can't they just write the phones off as a loss for tax purposes?
    It's Korea. I doubt there is such an option.
    09-03-2016 11:32 PM
    Mines going back to at&t tomorrow morning. Besides the recall my lcd is failing.
    Note7 doesn't have an LCD display, it is AMOLED.
    09-03-2016 11:47 PM
    Hoping we'll start seeing the N7 heavily discounted heading into holidays.
    Agreed, that is why I returned mine and got my upgrade restored. I want to get it on the cheap.

Plus my Gear Fit 2 is on the way so I will get that as compensation for my inconvenience.

The Note7 is without a doubt the best phone I have ever used. The only thing is that PDANet/FoxFi doesn't work on Nougat so if they start shipping with Nougat I will be sorry I gave my Marshmallow device up. My Note7 ran really hot though and that scared me. I think there was something wrong with mine anyhow.
    debdroid1a likes this.
    09-03-2016 11:50 PM
198 12345 ...