Will Samsung soon have 2.5 million refurbished N7s for sale?

ray689

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I doubt very seriously unsold phones will be sold. They will repair every device. They uphold quality and safety. This isn't their fault. Unfortunately it can happen and Samsung caught it. I have been a Samsung user well over 20 yrs. And will continue to do so.

Samsung caught it? I thought those people whose phones blew up caught it.

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
In Canada, I know the refurbs will be offered to the carriers (for warranty purposes) and to insurance companies, like Assurion. My carrier never sell newly released phones that are refurbished. They only sell opened boxed ones.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Apple is about to suck out all the air in the room next week with the 7 announcement next week and launch at end of month heading into the holiday season. Samsung will have to do something to salvage any targets they had for the Note 7 and reaccelerate any momentum. Sales foes down over time, not up. You can't be holding onto anything for "several months." Otherwise you'll end up cutting your losses and doing fire sales. Pun intended.

To a buyer on the fence it's great. I'm looking for at least $100 knock off."
I'd have thought they'd trickle it in to stop the price falling like mad. But maybe you're right, and instead they would use aggressive pricing to steal as many iPhone users as they can.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Just visited my Sprint store. The were told that replacement Note 7s would be available in one week.
That's the party line across the board. Seeing is believing. I know they'll be fast, so I'm not worried, but expecting more like a two-week wait here and I'm right by Sammy across the sea... Still it is shipping to Sprint, not me, and Sprint has to do their thing with them when the come in. This is a logistical nightmare for all businesses involved. Consumers aren't sitting pretty either. Still, I like how it's being handled and the overall response in the US.

DanRomania

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I am sure we are not going to see any refurbished Note7 until the launch of the Note8. Think about it, they would sink themselves. People would stop buying new phones and wait for refurbs. They are most likely going to repair the unsold units and sell them as new. I personally do not see any problem here as they are being repaired by Samsung. I think they are now receiving back the unsold units, while building new, problem-free units which will come to the shelves. They are going to open, repair and resell the returned units in the later weekes/months.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't this whole thing hurt the resale value of the note 7... A year from now, those in the know are going to be concerned with buying a used note that has a (potential) bum battery. There's no way of knowing what is the old batch vs new. This whole thing has really boned the note 7. What a mess.
It has killed resale value imo. I mentioned in another thread I would like another Note 7 but need a lower price.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
It has killed resale value imo. I mentioned in another thread I would like another Note 7 but need a lower price.
There are currently Zero Note 7's available for sale in retail channels. There is no way to know what will happen with all the returned phones but there is no way Samsung is going to cannibalize new device sales by saturating the market with refurbs.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
There are currently Zero Note 7's available for sale in retail channels. There is no way to know what will happen with all the returned phones but there is no way Samsung is going to cannibalize new device sales by saturating the market with refurbs.
Not right away but you're not suggesting they will simply trash them are you? If they hit market on ebay in 12 months our resale value plummits

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Not right away but you're not suggesting they will simply trash them are you? If they hit market on ebay in 12 months our resale value plummits
I'm not suggesting anything because only people in the know at Samsung know what their plans are for the phones. I've already stated that they can afford it. A $2 billion loss on this is less than 33% of their operating profit in Q2. Not enjoyable but they could easily do it.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm not suggesting anything because only people in the know at Samsung know what their plans are for the phones. I've already stated that they can afford it. A $2 billion loss on this is less than 33% of their operating profit in Q2. Not enjoyable but they could easily do it.
Possible. I'm just expressing an uninformed opinion based on a lifetime of experiences with corporations. Top guys make millions. Their jobs depend on making MORE millions for the company. A lot of money could be saved by reselling these phones most of which may not even have a problem. I'd be surprised if management decided to eschew this income. They might... But it would be unusual.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

After they send out new phones, I don't see why they wouldn't resell these. It's not going to effect their profits and might get those who leave the Note 7 for the iPhone 7 and then change their mind. Or those who don't want the iPhone 7 because of no headphone jack. A lower price for refurbs might get more customers for future sales. Premium device with a solid battery at a reduced price would bring in new customers.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

i dunno about that...

it could ABSOLUTELY work in Samsung's favor once the "recalled phones are deemed safe", what Samsung would "cannabalize" is the sales of these "other companies" mid range phones that are currently selling in the 300-400 range like ZTE, Alcatel, Xiaomi & Huawei etc.

I am willing to believe ALL of those buyers would be like, "an open boxed, inspected & corrected Note 7 for 400 bucks? "Heck yeah, all day long! Give me my S-Pen, where do i sign??!!!"

BTC

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
i dunno about that...

it could ABSOLUTELY work in Samsung's favor once the "recalled phones are deemed safe", what Samsung would "cannabalize" is the sales of these "other companies" mid range phones that are currently selling in the 300-400 range like ZTE, Alcatel, Xiaomi & Huawei etc.

I am willing to believe ALL of those buyers would be like, "an open boxed, inspected & corrected Note 7 for 400 bucks? "Heck yeah, all day long! Give me my S-Pen, where do i sign??!!!"

BTC
Well I dunno about $400...

That price would absolutely destroy new phone sales of the N7 especially a certified refurb straight from Samsung. Plus, at that price, they would be severely devaluing their phone which they won't do.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Well I dunno about $400...

That price would absolutely destroy new phone sales of the N7 especially a certified refurb straight from Samsung. Plus, at that price, they would be severely devaluing their phone which they won't do.

Not really saying its what they WILL do, more what i think they SHOULD do.

You have to keep in mind this is an unprecedented device recall" and calls for strategies thinking COMPLETELY, "outside of the new retail box".....Under normal conditions, it would be poor marketing, but the distinction here would be these are "the old batch devices that were recalled" that will heavily discounted...

i am certain there will STILL be millions of ppl who WILL care that their Note 7 is from "the new batch Note 7" who's IMEI does NOT appear on ANY "defect/reconditioned list, and millions of ppl (mid range phone buyers) who WILL NOT care...

Get the new ones in the hands of ppl who want
NEW BATCH & don't mind paying a premium for it @ 30 bucks a month EIP and also get the Note 7 in the hands of ppl who are non Carrier & who would pay 400 bucks and be done regardless if refurb/open box.... it could be a win/win...

BTC

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Not really saying its what they WILL do, more what i think they SHOULD do.

You have to keep in mind this is an unprecedented device recall" and calls for strategies thinking COMPLETELY, "outside of the new retail box".....Under normal conditions, it would be poor marketing, but the distinction here would be these are "the old batch devices that were recalled" that will heavily discounted...

i am certain there will STILL be millions of ppl who WILL care that their Note 7 is from "the new batch Note 7" who's IMEI does NOT appear on ANY "defect/reconditioned list, and millions of ppl (mid range phone buyers) who WILL NOT care...

Get the new ones in the hands of ppl who want
NEW BATCH & don't mind paying a premium for it @ 30 bucks a month EIP and also get the Note 7 in the hands of ppl who are non Carrier & who would pay 400 bucks and be done regardless if refurb/open box.... it could be a win/win...

BTC
It's not what they should do. Refurbed phones are only going to lose up to $100. They aren't going to offer stupidly huge discounts and start a fire sale for no reason, when people would most certainly pay more.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
It's not what they should do. Refurbed phones are only going to lose up to $100. They aren't going to offer stupidly huge discounts and start a fire sale for no reason, when people would most certainly pay more.

I disagree... Also, i think if this were 2 years ago when having the "latest & greatest" cell phone was to some a bit of a "status symbol"... But this has faded away with so many flagships being affordable and beautifully designed in their own rite, so i don't think it would be as detrimental to the Note 7 Line if "everyone and their brother had one" .....

Funny you should use the words "fire sale"....and "no reason" in same sentence...lol

BTC

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I've said before, I think they will fix them and use them as warranty replacements, and insurance companies like asurion probably have a order in for some already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance