Will Samsung soon have 2.5 million refurbished N7s for sale?

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm not suggesting anything because only people in the know at Samsung know what their plans are for the phones. I've already stated that they can afford it. A $2 billion loss on this is less than 33% of their operating profit in Q2. Not enjoyable but they could easily do it.

Note 7 is supposed to ride on the success of S7 & S7E to create even more profit for Samsung with a proven design, and it truly is a great device that looks like going to do just that.

Instead, not only are they going to pay big money for the recall, it also hurts the reputation of Samsung & Note 7. Sales will definitely suffer unless they give massive discounts. To add salt to the wound, it came at no better time for Apple which will be launching the new iPhone.

A very disastrous event to Samsung no matter how I look at it.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I doubt these returned phones will see the market.

They were recalled for a safety issue. The liability there seems too great.

Thread starter meant the recalled units will be resold after the battery is changed. Definitely they won't just re-sell it without doing anything.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Thread starter meant the recalled units will be resold after the battery is changed. Definitely they won't just re-sell it without doing anything.
Their manufacture date is a phone recalled doe a safety issue. One thing and a person would sue Samsung.

I knew they meant that about the battery change. Doesn't matter, it us a recalled item.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Their manufacture date is a phone recalled doe a safety issue. One thing and a person would sue Samsung.

I knew they meant that about the battery change. Doesn't matter, it us a recalled item.

Cars with recall parts aren't completely taken off the market all the time. Hardly ever actually. The part is fixed and it continues on the road. Might be the same with these, depending on what needs to be fixed.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Cars with recall parts aren't completely taken off the market all the time. Hardly ever actually. The part is fixed and it continues on the road. Might be the same with these, depending on what needs to be fixed.
I would be shocked. This is unprecedented in mobile phone history.

I was saying last night, they could fix them with no problem. It wouldn't be the danger, it would be something happening that was even the fault of the user and them suing. You never know what jurors will do.

From the cost of parts, seems to me it wouldn't be worth the money risk. The parts that are used are material that manufacturers sell to recyclers. They have scrap material all the time and a contract to sell it. We are talking a device that only makes a certain amount retail and could hurt their sales of their new devices also. They could scrap them, get the money.

I'm not sure what they would make off refurbs would be worth the risk of one jury awarding a multi-million dollar lawsuit.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Note 7 is supposed to ride on the success of S7 & S7E to create even more profit for Samsung with a proven design, and it truly is a great device that looks like going to do just that.

Instead, not only are they going to pay big money for the recall, it also hurts the reputation of Samsung & Note 7. Sales will definitely suffer unless they give massive discounts. To add salt to the wound, it came at no better time for Apple which will be launching the new iPhone.

A very disastrous event to Samsung no matter how I look at it.
It's far from disastrous. Short term hit? Sure. They've already forecasted projected sales down 2 million units. That will hurt... the mobile division. The company as a whole is strong and will be able to weather the storm. When the S8 hits the market next year and kills it, the mobile division will be right back to raking in the cash.

catloverplayer

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
Doesn't this whole thing hurt the resale value of the note 7... A year from now, those in the know are going to be concerned with buying a used note that has a (potential) bum battery. There's no way of knowing what is the old batch vs new. This whole thing has really boned the note 7. What a mess.

By then the Note 8's will be out but I think I'm sticking with 7. I might upgrade to Note 9 in two years.

mru007

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I think Samsung will replace the faulty batteries with new ones. But if they decide to manufacture totally new models, they can.....because Samsung is such a large empire - in terms of manpower, partners, money, ; they may altogether go for a new batch of manufacturing of Note 7s. I wonder if they will go for some chemical treatment / manufacturing process changes on the weak "Gorilla Glass 5" to improve it's scratch resistance & crack resistance (rear panel especially & along the edges). Time will tell, I guess :)

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Hoping we'll start seeing the N7 heavily discounted heading into holidays.
Agreed, that is why I returned mine and got my upgrade restored. I want to get it on the cheap.

Plus my Gear Fit 2 is on the way so I will get that as compensation for my inconvenience.

The Note7 is without a doubt the best phone I have ever used. The only thing is that PDANet/FoxFi doesn't work on Nougat so if they start shipping with Nougat I will be sorry I gave my Marshmallow device up. My Note7 ran really hot though and that scared me. I think there was something wrong with mine anyhow.

catloverplayer

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
I think Samsung will replace the faulty batteries with new ones. But if they decide to manufacture totally new models, they can.....because Samsung is such a large empire - in terms of manpower, partners, money, ; they may altogether go for a new batch of manufacturing of Note 7s. I wonder if they will go for some chemical treatment / manufacturing process changes on the weak "Gorilla Glass 5" to improve it's scratch resistance & crack resistance (rear panel especially & along the edges). Time will tell, I guess :)

I hope they don't do that. I want everything we have on Note 7 now. If they go and do that some features maybe dropped.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

The replacement phones? There won't be any design changes for the new Note 7's, all those parts were made long ago. As far as the glass, there won't be a change on that even later unless something happens, like with the battery and something is found defective by them.

lyingfromyou

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna skip this cursed model all together... I had already returned mine with "screen issues" before all this took place. Maybe they won't rush them next year! I loved the software, which should appear on the Note 5 the day Android 7.0 rolls out... Definitely staying away from this one either way!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm gonna skip this cursed model all together... I had already returned mine with "screen issues" before all this took place. Maybe they won't rush them next year! I loved the software, which should appear on the Note 5 the day Android 7.0 rolls out... Definitely staying away from this one either way!
They didn't rush them this year. Release date.. One year from the Note 5.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34